Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Symphony II w/Bose Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symphony II w/Bose Upgrade

Ok everyone I am crying "UNCLE". Bear with me while I lay out the scenario/details::

A few years ago I opted to try a full upgrade by pulling or unhooking everything Bose and replacing with upgrades while still maintaining HU...including tapping into (RCA splices from the low/line level inputs) existing wiring in rear passenger area (near Bose amp and sub). The only wire I opted to run was a dedicated Monster cable from the battery to the amp. I figured clean power was the way to go. While at it I also added a direct connect harness to back of HU for Sirius portable player. Everything went very smoothly with new components in all doors, new 6 ch amp (4 + bridge) and relocated 8" sub. The sound was less than favorable and when I turned the engine on even worse. Like the Grinch would say, "the noise...the noise...the noise! I could not get rid of that iritating interference noise -- the ol' "engine" whining/hissing that only gets worse with acceleration. Enough said...finally gave up, sought the stereo guys advice and they felt purchasing a JL Clean Sweep might fix it or just opt for a clean aftermarket set-up with running the traditional RCA's. I did the latter as I was fed-up and could also grab DVD, BT and Satellite-ready capabilities. Awesome but really missed the OEM look or simply bored and wanted another crack at this. Reality is I am shopping for a used truck and would like to transfer the unit over. I tied back and left all wiring intact for now and took another shot at this. Back to square...only this time I truly spent time researching the wiring, etc. Everything is in and sounding truly awsome...way better than before...except again...when I turn the car on "the noise, the noise, the noise" WHAT IS GOING ON. I am thinking it must be the line level wiring since the aftermarket bypasses this...the upgraded amp must be amplifying any line interference way beyond what the Bose system was doing. I have screwed down amp channels to lowest/min input level (what's the point now?) --- improved but still very noticeable. ANY IDEAS, THOUGHTS??? This thing should work...I have taken all the Bose elements out of the equation -- perhaps my RCA splices are an issue? Any way to improve that part perhaps? My amp does have high level/speaker inputs but that would require another wiring re-work and in reality only re-steps things back down to low level which is line level like I have already tapped into. Not sure that will solve anything??

Thanks everyone - again apologies for the length but just beaten down. I really want the OEM look/feel back but can't live with the interference.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reach out to 5speed6 on the tristate-NY forum of quattroworld or TeddyB on the a6-c5 forum. They know what to do.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, good idea. I just shot Ted a personal email with link to post. I have viewed several of NSX downloads and they know this stuff cold. Hope he can get back to me shortly. Thanks again.