Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Taking the leap... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the leap... (long)

I have been lurking for a while now and I am getting pretty close to taking the leap and purchasing an allroad. This would be our first Audi. I have found an atlas grey 2002 6 sp with 65K local to me. They are asking about 22K for it but are willing to deal since it has been on their lot for a while.

As near as I can tell it is a one owner lease return. I have the vin and will contact Audi on Monday to find out the service history. I also hope to run a car fax on it. I have yet to drive it but hope to this week.

So here is my question should I take the leap on a car that is not CPO and does not have any kind of warranty? I feel like I can do a lot of maintenance work myself. The turbos going out kinda scare me and I would probably have a local indy shop take care of those if something happened. I guess what really scares me are the intermittent electrical problems that some people have. I can change the brakes and can probably tackle an airbag replacement but how am I going to chase down some random blinking light on the dash?

I would like to get a vag com tool and I think that will help. My wife is a little dubious of a car that requires a computer to make little changes on it though. She does love Audi's so I think she will come around.

The one thing that makes me think that I can do it is the great audiworld community. It seems like you guys always have the answers.

So bottom line, 65K lease return with no CPO or aftermarket warranty. Run away or OK as long as I know what I am getting into?

Thanks,
andy
Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like you have a willingness to tackle the smaller repairs which is generally where these cars

get you. To me, a CPO warranty is worthless because my local dealer is worthless and I like to do everything myself. If you're near a good dealership and don't like to wrench, a CPO warranty is very valuable.

I say go for it. Definitely get a vag-com and with audiworld on your side, you can't miss.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There are aftermarket warantee companies...

you can probably get it from the dealer. When I was looking at an allroad at a Infiniti dealer, they offered extended warantee.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I passed 50K about 10K ago, and didn't bother buying the CPO warranty,

granted, I know the history of this car.

Over all though, I don't think it is that big a risk.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Price is high - should be sub-$20K...this will make non-CPO easier to swallow.

Look around more. I already posted my deal a few times, but here it is again - $17K, for a 70K 2002 grey allroad with basically all options. I would have no problems springing $1000+ for someone to replace the front suspension airbags (but I'll pay a lot less and do it myself). What's CPO worth if you don't use it - and regardless, it doesn't seem like everyone's been getting good or fast service from Audi, especially with the CPO.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Taking the leap... (long)

Since there are only two dealers in the state, I doubt a CPO would do me much good. Both are inconvenient for me to get to. One would probably require an over night stay...

This is the best price that I have seen in the last couple of months of looking. I don't know if they hold their value a little better in the Pacific Northwest or not. I am hoping that a Car fax will tell me how long this one has been sitting on his lot.

I am really tired of the Yukon for hauling the family around in. It would be nice to inject a little bit of style, sophistication, and adrenaline into the long family trips.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. This is a great group!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 AM

Default CPO Warranty replacing torque converter

I just recently brought my 03 2.7T in for it's 80k service and they found the torque converter needed replacing - a 3 day job - they called it - all under warranty! Thank goodness for the extended warranty. They're also replacing some valve cover - didn't get the full skinny on that one.

I'm damn grateful for the extended warranty.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:00 AM

Default sorry this is a little late, but I too live where there is not much dealer support but,

I can't imagine not having an extended warranty on this vehicle...just getting parts has been difficult and I do have an indy mechanic I can trust but everything is very expensive to fix unless you can do the work yourself. Search on my uid and see what I mean...this is only one example but it pays to see what you are getting in to...I love my allroad but not sure I could keep it if it weren't for the warranty.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default BackMarker21

Are you in MT??
Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: BackMarker21

Nope. In the Willamette Valley of Oregon.

Quick Reply: Taking the leap... (long)