Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Technical opinions needed.....Sorry for asking about "remote" troubleshooting..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical opinions needed.....Sorry for asking about "remote" troubleshooting..

Here is the story: a few days ago the car lost transmission fluid due to leaking hose. This part is fixed now.
I have no idea of how much fluid got lost over 10-12 miles of driving. The car locked itself into 4th about 2 miles away from home but made it all the way.

I realized that I've lost trans-pressure because she was slipping like a donkey on ice, the speed was reduced to about 35MPH not to overheat the Transmission.

Driving the same way with another car, I was able to find all traces of lost fluid, first guess was about 3liters, but it might be more.

Now, after refilling the Trans and not being able to tell the exact level, she is acting a bit weird; 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th seem to engage with a kick, not always but often enough.
1st and sometimes 2nd seem to slip, again, not always but ones in a while. It happens when she is cold, if the Temp rises then she drives almost normal. And I did not push her at all until this will be fixed.

My guess is that the fluid level is still too low to create the amount of pressure needed to function properly. But before I go out and spend another $50.00 on 2 more bottles, I'd like to hear your opinion. The car will be at the shop on Saturday to be checked out....I hope....
Anyone with a second guess, idea or recommendation? TIA !!!

Don't worry, I wont overfill it but I don't have the setup to check it properly......
Old 10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Follow the proper procedure to top it up....

With the car running add fluid until it seeps out the fill hole. Run it through each gear for about 30 seconds (only about 5 seconds in reverse).

Then let the ATF warm up to 30-45C and top up one more time, until it seeps out. Then replace fill plug and shut off car.

There is no reason to guess how much fluid to add, just follow the correct fill procedure and you'll be fine...(at least your fluid level will be).
Old 10-04-2006, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Think it would be hard to overfill...

Since you are supposed to fill it until it starts coming out of the fill hole. It should be filled while the engine is COLD. After you've topped it off, go through each of the gear positions (for about 20 seconds) and recheck the level.

$25 a bottle! OUCH! You can find it for less than half of that price!

Good luck!
Gavin
Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Follow the proper procedure to top it up....

Thanks!! Honestly, I'd rather be under the car by now and do this, but have no proper set up and tools available to get it done right.
So how much of a risk is it really to drive it slowly to the next repair shop instead of calling AAA.....that's why I'm guessing.....
Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Think it would be hard to overfill...

OEM Fluid? That would be nice, maybe worth posting a link on allroadfaq......haven't checked lately in case it's there already....
Old 10-04-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you don't wait for the ATF to come up to temp you can overfill it.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My .02: The TIP Trans goes into 4th as a fail safe..to get you home. (Designe)

Chances are the entire tranny pan needs to be dropped and the tranny fully drained, the screens/filters cleaned, etc. Most likely the trans fluid that was left turned to sludge. You put in new fluid and its running through "clogged arteries" so some things are ok and some things are rough.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Based on what you've already put the tranny through it's not really that much of a risk...

...more than likely the damage is already done, if you get any at all.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Think it would be hard to overfill...

Here's the part number: G052162A2

Here's a source (just leave the make as VW):<ul><li><a href="https://www.1stvwparts.com/part_number.html">Click!</a></li></ul>
Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Makes sense, since the car doesn't show any other DTC's, it has to be clearly a mechanical issue,

clogged filters or lines could surely trigger such behavior. The solid red line on the dash (4th gear) went away after it was refilled, cleared the DTC (communication between TCU and ECU error) and that was it.
Thanks !!

Quick Reply: Technical opinions needed.....Sorry for asking about "remote" troubleshooting..