Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

That's it, exactly 117.500 Miles and the Transmission goes bye-bye.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's it, exactly 117.500 Miles and the Transmission goes bye-bye.....

Just guessing here but I think the loss of about 5 liter of transfluid a few weeks ago did some permanent damage on the Tranny.
The same DTC everytime: 17125 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.
P0741 - 35-00

No more loss of ATF, that is fixed, but now it seems the TC is in it's final days. The car still is drivable but most frequently the Trans is slipping very badly, all Revs but no go. After some time she locks up in 4th gear, the normal limp mode process.
Shifting can be described as a violant kick in the rear end, almost every time the car shifts.

Here is the catch; how can I be sure it is the TC and not some regulator, switch or whatever.

The positive side.....now is THE chance to switch to a 6 Speed Transmission but that will be rather more costly then fixing the AT.
Any advise or suggestions? TIA!!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Level10 baby.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Level10 baby.

Hmmmm.......I could get the Manual Trans, pedal set, linkage, booster, Stage3 Clutch and all the other goodies for a considerable great price, actually less than Level10 would cost.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can just get a level 10 TC, only the "bulletproof" tranny is an arm and a leg. It is only

needed for stage 3+ cars.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:56 PM

Default That's why I'd rather switch to manual tranny since the allroad is stage 3.5 for almost 2 years now.

L10 is just too expensive so I had to wait until the situation would force me into a decision. It's a darn good offer to drive away with a 6 speed.....biggest problem: the car will never pass inspection again unless the wiring is taken car off, and that IS expensive......decisions, decisions...;-)
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd still go Level10. Much 'cleaner' decision. Yes, expensive, but don't you think worth it?...

Your current stage 3.5 = $$$$. Why not go for the extra $$ and make it a true stage 3.5 with increased torque change with the Dahlback software change and Level10 on the AT (whole thing, not just TC). Would be a SUPER mean animal after that.

Give those K04's some room to run!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice what mods do you have? 6 Speed aren't all that they've cracked up to be either.

You still have clutch/ flywheel problems. IE clutch going south or glazing + if you go with a LWFW you may have chatter.

And there are synchro problems in the manuals typically first and second gear. Statis offers a better rebuild, pricey as well.

With all of that being said L10 HAD some problems with the TC for the ZF Tip, but I think that they are now fixed. Make 100% sure that they replace the TC seal that is known to leak. There are also a few other companies out there that do Tip work another that I am aware of is 3zero3 in CO.

Just my .02 but I hope it helps =)

P.S. current a6 6 speed guy with stage 3+ parts sitting in my garage, and I'm thinking of switching to allroad tip ;-)
Old 10-14-2006, 06:21 PM

Default I understand your point of view but there is something I encountered over the past

few years during the research of Level10 upgrade results: it's a 50-50% shot in the dark, some people on Toyota, Ford, Chevy, GM and other car Forums have experienced good things, some people have not. And that is spread out equally over most forums.
I'm not a Stock Broker so I don't have to take that risk of losing 5-6K. But I can certainly rely on the word from my Tuning shop, and not having to be concerned about the fact that if something goes wrong I'll have to fight with Customer Service to get it fixed.

Should L10 remain the final option then most likely I'll pull the Trans and let them rebuild it......but I'd surely would not feel comfortable with a 90 Days Warranty.

Number 5 & 6 for example are subject to interpretation:

This Warranty does not cover any Level 10 product failure by virtue of:

1) Improper Level 10 product installation;
2) Improper Level 10 product maintenance;
3) Modification of a Level 10 product;
4) Use of a Level 10 product for racing competition;
5) Misuse or abuse of a Level 10 product;
6) Normal wear and tear of a Level 10 product;
7) Damage to or failure of any related components;
8) Removal and installation costs;
9) Cost of vehicle downtime;
10) Fluid replacement and shipping costs.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OK, I retract my excited previous post after reading that. ...

I guess if all technical repairs and upgrades were 100% we would all have an easier time with our mods. But, after reading your research and the details of L10 and their warranty (and the 90 days!) I would have to agree with you 100%.

What about RS6/ZF tranny? That would cover the torque issue. And, you could have the TIP shift on fly VAG'd and true sport mode. I've not read of anyone mating the RS6 trans to a 2.7T.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Too many mods to list but the picture displays the main elements....

or simply browse thru the pictures in my account.

For the MT swap the car will get some nice parts from a Stage3+ Car and I would not be concerned about a glazed clutch, IMHO, it's a matter of driving style in the first place, never had a glazed clutch, street or racecar.
Maybe there is also a chance of getting some RS4 parts cheap like a flywheel or so.

So far most people recommend a L10 upgrade, would make sense after all the $$$ I dumped in this car. But there is a fine line to be drawn, the allroad is now 6+ Years old, plus I have to keep my CGT Rally car up to date. Unless I can collect some more Sponsorship $$$; the allroad will have to play second part of the game.
Now let me check the lottery numbers ;-)<ul><li><a href="http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/24442/waterfest11_036.jpg">http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/24442/waterfest11_036.jpg</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: That's it, exactly 117.500 Miles and the Transmission goes bye-bye.....