Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thinking of switching to the DARK SIDE. Questions from a B5S4 guy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of switching to the DARK SIDE. Questions from a B5S4 guy?

Ok so its newbie question time & I do expect ruthless flaming.
I'm thinking about selling my 2000 s46MT and getting a 2002 allroad 2.7 tipster. I need the avant & roof rack for loads. I also have just moved from Hawaii & traffic is a serious BITCH so the slush box seems the way to go.
Will the 18x8.5', 35 offset & 245/35 be a good fit?
Is the transmission reliable when eng chipped? Is it the same trans as the S4? (no way i'm going L10)
Is it worth chipping the trans?
Cat back a worthwile bang for buck? or just go PIGGY?
Can the stering wheel be switched out for the 3 spoke model? How much? (must involve air bag, i'm bracing myself)
Is there a three spoke with shift buttons & stereo controls?
Are some models not factory equiped with steering shift?
Is the switch from my moded S4 gonna leave me unsatisfied with my new ride? How much more weight are we talking about? Cornering, ride quality & Grunt?
Will I need to replace suspension to have performance oriented ride or will vag lowering, f&r bars & shoes do the trick?
Are the front seats a direct swap with the sport models?
My other option would be B5S4 avant tip, but I cant seem to find any in Toronto to compare.
Sorry for the quiz, allready done a bit of searching & lurking. TIA
BTW I will be satisfied if I can get 8/10ths of the go & twist. I have a new outlet for the "total" speed devil in me... just bought a super Kart.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Avoid the tip w/ the 2.7T. (brake-throttle-lag, plus TC issues w/ older years)

If you really want a slushbox, get the 4.2.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Don't overlook the 4.2 in your analysis
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM

is there allways a lag between brake/throttle? TC is allways a prob or hit&miss?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM

used to 2.7, if 4.2 then S6? Is it a diffrent trans btw 2.7 & 4.2? Same as S6?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 AM

anyone got pics of black, lowered, tinted, allroad w/ rims? anyone..anyone..
Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Oh, boy, because I'm a nice (procrastinating) guy....

Slush box = 4.2. I've got a 6spd, family has 4.2. As an engine, I like the 4.2 better. great grunt and sound from stock. no turbo spool. more reliable. no need to chip the tranny. I wanted a stick so I didn't have the choice.

If you want the suspension for deep snow and light off road, fine. If you're more street oriented, I'd seriously consider S6 avant. The air susp is definitely a mixed bag. Sway bars, wheels and tires help. I think the lowering is not worth it, as it exacerbates my problems with the air susp - poor rebound and wheel control. On the flip side, coilover conversion options are popping up, in particular one from 2bennett that is advertised as plug and play.

Tire size is 245/45r18

Don't know exhaust stuff. Don't care about steering wheels. I do know they deleted the wheel shifters after the earliest MY's. allroadfaq.com has answers.

allroad is a great platform. Bigger, heavier, quieter, but still fun when you want it. Mine's stock and it is fast. Wouldn't take much to get the 8/10's you're looking for and you have a lot more utility to boot. Everyone who gets in my car is floored by the quality of the interior - as you know. Friends love the legroom in the back. I end up driving everyone around all the time. (sucks sometimes). They all think it's a much more recent model than it is. And you can do a 1000mile day and not be tired. Aside: I just rode in an 03 bmw 530 and we should all be happy - that interior is junk.

Definitely check out an S4 avant. My next car might be a B7 (more room in back, but smaller and more agile) than allroad.

Good luck in your search. And seriously, check out allroadfaq.com. One forum member has gone to a lot of trouble with it (UBER_AR).
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a nice one. Not lowered, but at level 1, seems low enough.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_2447.shtml">http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_2447.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My best shot at answers

Will the 18x8.5', 35 offset &amp; 245/35 be a good fit?
You will need spacers and different sized tires

Is the transmission reliable when eng chipped?
short ans -- no. Torque coverters have been a problem for unchipped and chipped cars

Is it the same trans as the S4? (no way i'm going L10)
not sure, but don't think so

Is it worth chipping the trans?
I'm told yes -- superbike-like shifting

Cat back a worthwile bang for buck? or just go PIGGY?
don't know

Can the stering wheel be switched out for the 3 spoke model? How much? (must involve air bag, i'm bracing myself)
anything can be done, but I think this is a pretty aggressive mod.

Is there a three spoke with shift buttons &amp; stereo controls?
don't know

Are some models not factory equiped with steering shift?
yes, but fairly certain all the '02's have it.

Is the switch from my moded S4 gonna leave me unsatisfied with my new ride?
test drive it, only you can answer that. Most S4 guys don't seem to adapt too well to a stock a/r. If you mod it can work.

How much more weight are we talking about? check www.allroadfaq.com for weight/specs.

Cornering, ride quality &amp; Grunt?
MUST install h-sports.

Will I need to replace suspension to have performance oriented ride or will vag lowering, f&amp;r bars &amp; shoes do the trick?
see above, there are some coilover conversion that delete to air suspension functionality, there is limited experience with these as they are fairly new. Persoanlly not a fan of the Vag lowering (aka 402 mod). I thought the suspension bottomed out too much when lowered

Are the front seats a direct swap with the sport models?
Do not know

My other option would be B5S4 avant tip, but I cant seem to find any in Toronto to compare.
take a test drive, only you can make the decision on space vs performance

I love my '02 a/r but when/if I need a second car I'll be getting an S4. Right now I need the space and utility of the allroad.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM

nice! Thanks

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to the DARK SIDE. Questions from a B5S4 guy?