Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

tip vs. 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tip vs. 6 speed

other than the obvious differences, what's a tip like on a daily basis?
Old 10-22-2004, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Have a Tip and like it.

I haven't driven the 6-speed to compare.

If you are used to driving a standard, and like the more finite control over each gear, you can push the stick over to the manual mode and shift it like that. If you are used to an automatic, you will find the tranny strong.

But search the forum for "tip delay", which is a strange behavior at low speeds. That is the achilles heel for this car. Once you get used to it, you learn to compensate.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't even think about it...

get yourself a nice 6-speed...I know, i know, it's easier to walk the path to the tip side of the Force, but you must be strong and not give up, for the 6-speed side of the Force is greater and will allow you to be in control of the Force, while you must submit yourself to the tip side of the Force, which will control you forever and ever!

May the manual side of the Force be with you!

<inspirational text, result of overwatching recently issued Star Wars Trilogy Widescreen Edition DVD set>
Old 10-22-2004, 06:44 PM

Default a tip is just fine, but sterile

I had a tip S4 Avant before my allroad. Prior cars had all been stickshift. The S4 had the steering wheel buttons for shifting, which really help. It's easier to drive the tip cars at 80% of the limit than the stick cars, because they're so smmoth. the wife doesn't notice a thing. The limit is a little lower, though. The bottom line for me was that i like the full-body involvement of driving a stck shift. The tip was boring. and mode wer limited.

If you like a manual transmission, get a manual transmission. Get what you want. Don't compromise.

-df
Old 10-22-2004, 06:47 PM

Default full body experiance

see, I just sold my ICC shifter kart, and I have a gear addiction, and and and...
Old 10-22-2004, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default After reading your other posts below...

...I feel your pain. But I can see you are weakening.

Stick to your guns for a replacement 6sp, or get your money back from the dealer. It's the principle of the thing.

You would always be kicking yourself if you settled on the automatic. The tip lag irks me, and I'm an automatic guy. You may have a damaged version of the car you really want. But I think even a perfect Tip will disappoint a manual lover.

The used Tips are easier to find, and apparently most people who bought a 6sp knew that they really wanted them.

PS....I still like my Tip ar.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:30 PM

don't buy a tip, you'll never really like the car
Old 10-22-2004, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switch to tip? For you It's like wining a batlle.. but loosing the war..

I have a stick..my first since 1989? And an Isuzu Trooper at that.. I was taught on a stick in the 70's and all through school..a Vega to multi Spitfires to a Celica to my first Audi 4000s 4E in 1981..all stick....

Back to stick no and I would change it..and I've been driving an Auto for three months.. granted an Enterprise 2005 Grand Prix.. but I'll take a stick..even ove my wife's A4 Cab 3.0 Tip..

Make a choice in haste..repend in leisure.. (I'm getting old..)
Old 10-22-2004, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tip isn't bad...

I consider myself a spirited driver, and often times wish I had a stick. For daily comuting it works great.

Which to go with completely depends on your driving style. If you are not too agressive, the tip is great. Smooth, soft shifts. A Tip Chip as well as the TCU VAG recoding are a must if you go this route.

If you have any doubts which you would prefer, I would probably go for the stick. The TIP will *NEVER* perform like a 6 speed.

Regards,
Gavin
Old 10-22-2004, 10:36 PM

you can have my 6 speed when you can pry my cold dead hands off the shifter ****

Quick Reply: tip vs. 6 speed