Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tires: 2 sets or 1 set of A/S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires: 2 sets or 1 set of A/S?

Just bought a allroad and they will be putting new tires on the 2 piece wheels for me -- I get my choice of tires!

I have long been thinking about getting 2 sets of tires -- 1 set for the summer on 18" wheel (probably S-03's), and 1 set for the Winter for snow, ice, etc. (probably Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on the audi wheels, which is what i would have the seller install).

I live in Washington, DC, we don't get alot of snow, may be a couple times a year (this year and last were worse than most). Would a good all season tire be a cheaper (second set of wheel and tires would be about $2000 or more, I figure), almost as good a choice given that we really don't get alot of snow. I've heard that the Michelin Pilot A/S tire is pretty good all around -- nearly as good as the best performance summer tires, and pretty good in snow as well. Is there a better all-season tire?

Would the Michelin Pilot A/S (or better A/S tire) be a pretty good compromise versus 2 sets of tires ? Or is the sets of tires worth the extra $2000?
Old 02-09-2004, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes and No.

My Pilot A/Ss were great their first trip in snow last spring here, but after 20k and the first snows here last fall they felt a little lacking. Not that the tires didnt work, in fact the Pilot alpines that I have for winter realy only out perform the A/Ss on hard pack and ice.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:45 AM

Default I have S03s and M3s

Its almost a perfect quiver. However, I'm not sure I would have dedicated snows in DC. In fact, I'd probably go with an A/S here in Boston if it were not for the fact that I spend a lot of time in Vermont. Quattro and good all seasons is a pretty potent combo. I ran the stock Wrangler F1s in winter for 2 years and was happy with the results.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tires for Washington?

Michelin Pilot A/S are OK in the Middle Atlantic region if you don't live in a rural area. Like all compromises, all-season tires are not as good as summer tires above 45 degrees F and not as good as winter tires on ice and snow. I live in Northern Virginia and bought winter wheels and tires, which have proven their worth this winter.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:30 AM

Default You can get better winter performance with 16" tires & wheels for about $1000 USD.

Sure, sixteen inchers won't handle as well as squattier tires but they'll dig in better and be a whole lot cheaper. Smooth quiet ride, too! As a bonus, tire chains can be fitted; unlike with the larger tires & wheels. I'm happy with the AT Italia wheels & the Arctic Alpins.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Tires for Washington?

<i>Michelin Pilot A/S are OK in the Middle Atlantic region if you don't live in a rural area.</i>

This is exactly what I discovered this winter. I was pleased with my A/S last winter when I lived in the suburbs. But I moved out to the country (western Loudoun county) in December and found the tires lacking in the unplowed snow I have to go through now. The tires are also not very good in the mud if you plan to go off road. It's too easy for the treads to fill up with snow/mud.

But if you are sticking to paved/plowed/treated roads then the tires do fine in the winter.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: I have S03s and M3s

Are your S03's in 17" or 18"? If yours on are 18" wheel did you find a significant benefit to going to 18" in the summer tire? Which of your tires are on the stock wheels? How much of a compromise would using an all-season tire (a good one like the Pilot A/S) in the summer be?
Old 02-09-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Tires for Washington?

Being in the city, there is little reason for going out in unplowed snow -- but of course D.C. snow removal is notoriously bad. Are snow tires -- like the Winter sport M3's or the Pilot Alpins -- better in mud, and perhaps dirt, than say all-season tires?
I suppose 3 sets of tires is ideal -- winter, summer highway, and dirt/mud tires.

How did you find your A/S (I assume they were the Pilot A/S?) were in the summer on road? Did you feel you were missing something vis a vis a performance summer tire?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:25 AM

Default 18" S03 on RS4 Rims and M3s on stock 17" dual spoke

The S03s are pretty incredible. They stick like glue but wear quickly. I'm about 1/2 way through mine after 8k. They transfer more road feedback and do "tram" a bit but overall I'm very pleased with them and look forward to May when they go back on. The M3s are sweet in their own right. Awesome snow handling and very impressive on dry pavement. IMO the M3 is easily a better all season tire than the stock Goodyears.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got 18" with S03's and M2's on the stock rims....

we don't see much snow in vancouver but a lot of rain. the SO3's are awsome in the rain, almost any premium performance tire will perform better than an allseason in the rain, but of course they are not so good when temps drop so the winter tires and wheels go on for about 3 months.

Quick Reply: Tires: 2 sets or 1 set of A/S?