Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Uneven front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven front tire wear

2004 Allroad, 210k on the clock. Full maintenance history unknown.
Right front tire often goes soft, I've just been reinflating every few weeks. It leaks around the bead. One of those "I'll get around to it one of these days" type of deals. When tires properly inflated, car is silky smooth at all speeds, runs perfectly straight down the road, no unusual cornering or pulling any way when braking. When tire is low, steering wheel shimmy at low to moderate speeds, pulls right slightly, pulls right harder when braking.

I had the wheels cranked hard today while reinflating the right front tire and checking the other three, to find this. To my untrained eye, it looks pretty fresh. I'm trying to determine if this is a self inflicted wound earned by running an under inflated tire now and then or if I have some type of other mechanical issue such as control arms bad. Both front tires share this same wear pattern. I've had the car for anout a year and a half 10,000 miles, and this is the first I've noticed it, but I don't recall ever checking the insides of the front tires. I've got to think I would have noticed it before.

I think sooner than later the tires need replacement anyway due to weather checking even though other tread is still 50% or better on all four. Tonight I'm planning on getting this thing up on jacks to look at it a little better. Give the wheels the wiggle test at 6/12 and 3/9 o'clock. I know there's a sequence with the ride height controls before lifting the car so I'll have to review the manual for it.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Uneven front tire wear-image.jpeg  
Old 10-04-2016, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

When was the last time you had an alignment done? Improper inflation can also contribute to uneven wear.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same issue with my tires, the inside wear. The previous poster recommended a good tip, about getting the alignment checked.

On AWD cars, I always try to recommend going to a place with lifetime alignment plans, so that you can get it checked annually.

I have inside wear on all four of my tires, and am ready to make a purchase of a new set of continentals. I will also be aligning my vehicle at the same time to make sure I get it all perfect.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It could also be the upper control arm bushings. When they become worn it changes the camber causing inside tire wear like your picture. But it's probably a combination of all the above.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

tie rods, all control arms (4 each front corner)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had same issue during last summer season. Root cause was following - a wear of bushing of control arm (right and left side lower rearward).
I've renewed all 8 rubber bushing and did alignment - issue fixed.