Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

The washers broke, but at least the wipers are awful

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The washers broke, but at least the wipers are awful

My windshield washer stopped working on my drive today. So not only was I dealing with the worst windshield wipers ever created, but I was working in conjunction with the spray coming off the truck in front of me instead of clean fluid.

I can hear the pump working, and I just filled it up. The rear washer is not working either, so I'm guessing an obstruction in the main line. Is it possible for this stuff to freeze when it's sitting right next to a 240 degree engine for 8 hours?

Any thoughts? I'm beginning to think the allroad is a cruel joke--the most capable winter vehicle ever conceived by the mind of man, but burdened with a windshield clearing system so primitive and non-functional as to render the car undriveable during said winter...
Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just ordered a hotshot for mine.140 degree washer fluid.My original wipers lasted 185k
Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same problem with my washers the other day when it was cold. So I have a couple of questions. My AR does not have the cold weather package but there are wires plugged into the washer nozzles. Does this mean mine are heated anyway? If they are it didnt help. What is this "hotshot" the second poster mentioned? Link? By the way, my wipers seem to work real good so far.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DevoAllroad
I had the same problem with my washers the other day when it was cold. So I have a couple of questions. My AR does not have the cold weather package but there are wires plugged into the washer nozzles. Does this mean mine are heated anyway? If they are it didnt help. What is this "hotshot" the second poster mentioned? Link? By the way, my wipers seem to work real good so far.
http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, even if you dont have the winter package, most likely your nozzles are heated, especially is you see the wires going in.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP, were your wipers malfunctioning or did you need new blades?
Hard to fault the wipers when you just need new rubbers.....ours lasted thru several winters, but when they got noisey and started skipping, I replaced them - I find the wipers themselves are very smooth and quiet with new blades.

As to the washers, I think your pump has failed - buy a new one and you should be good. However, it is possible for the system to freeze, even when the engine's making all that heat, so if you put washer fluid in it that wasn't freeze proof (a co-worker did this, bought the blue juice in a jug at Wal Mart and didn't notice that it said it was good down to 32*, in other words - it had no anti-freeze in it!) , you just need to get the car into a warm garage overnight, and drain out all the old fluid once it thaws, then purge with some new non-freezing fluid and you'll be fine. However, if you froze the pump - you'll still need a new one.

I'm on several other brand car forums and it always interests me how people will bad mouth their car for having the "worst evar" this and that, when it usually turns out they simply need to do basic maintenance.

Not saying that's the case here, but I do wonder.....

As to the rear washer, if you do a search you'll find several how-to's on how to fix the line that goes back there - it breaks sometimes.

Last edited by allroaddave; 12-14-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I understand the limitations of wipers in extreme weather and I don't really ask for much. However, the wiper blades are 3 weeks old and I definitely agree that they work extremely well when it isn't freezing. But as many of us here have noticed, when they get wet and then freeze, they don't hug the contour of the windshield any longer. You get one clean streak at the very top, maybe a few patchy clean areas in the middle, but not much else. Spend a few minutes picking the ice off the back side and maybe they get better. Maybe. Great for wet weather and high speeds, crappy for midwest blizzards and single-degree temperatures. I was a little grumpy--I just spent 8 hours making a 4 hour drive through a blizzard with no windshield washer and wipers that didn't do a very good job--I was venting. Sorry.

As for the washer, I can hear the pump working, and the system worked the night before, both front and rear. There's no ice in the jug that I can see, and I'm not sure that ice would sink to the bottom and get sucked into the inlet. The fact that front and rear stopped working simultaneously when temperatures dropped from 33 to 8 overnight, the jug is full, and the pump is running suggests a frozen line, which is what I'm hoping for.

I guess what I was asking was whether there was a common issue with the washers that would be an easy work-around (like with the sunroof drains or the freezing door latches). If not, I'll hope that it's frozen and that it will thaw when it warms up.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You might have a gelling issue with the washer soap you are using. Personally I like the Mercedes Winter wash. I think it is like 180proof. VERY high Alcohol content & is rated good to -30F at the right mix.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt, I've seen these pumps fail by having the impeller break or come loose from the pump shaft - the motor runs but nothing comes out. Pretty easy to check tho, just disconnect the hose at the pump and hit the stalk - if you get liquid it's good, if not, replace the pump.

I also live in the midwest so I can commiserate on the lousy winter weather. The best blades I've found for winter use are those that have the cover over the "suspension frame" of the blade. Because the ice can't get in there they always conform to the windshield, however I have been in conditions where the defroster still could not keep up especially on the highway and ice would form - in those cases you just have to get out and scrape periodically. I've had this happen with Audis, VW's Lexus, my MINI and others so it's not just Audi....

See if you can find some blades like these - it will help considerably....

I've also seen where the nut on the center post where the arm attaches will work loose, allowing the arm to pivot on the post - this usually happens at the worst possible time, under heavy ice and snow conditions of course - but the fix is easy enough, reposition the arm correctly and tighten the nut. Later cars went to a much bigger nut, the little 6mm nut that was on the earlier cars used to come undone all the time.

Last edited by allroaddave; 12-15-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may or may not be aware but the early allroads and VW Passats had the right blade curved from OE to work/sit better. Audi (I think) did away with them on newer models. Might help the coverage issue you are having which is def a problem, especially in winter. I don't know many people who will go back to a dealer for wipers but with an allroad it's a good idea since they are 'special'.

Bosch 'Icons', while expensive for a piece of rubber, seem to work very well in the winter on our allroad...even w/o the curve to the right side blade.

How cold is it in Ohio? The allroad is tops for winter weather travel in my book but def hearing your frustration. Is it possible that the jets are clogged since you hear the pump? Rear reservior full also? Obviously dumb questions....but gotta ask !

Quick Reply: The washers broke, but at least the wipers are awful