Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Well just test drove the Porsche Cayenne...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well just test drove the Porsche Cayenne...

So they are having a drawing if you come in and test drive the vehicle and the wifey wanted to enter the contest so we did.

Initial impressions when driving up, It was just like I figured, I think like the Infinity 45 it would look better hunkered down as a road vehicle, instead of trying to be something with off road prowes (although I hear it does okay off road)..

Interior: The wife said it's kind of Audi'esque. It's true, it's kind of nice, but some of the silver covers (climate control etc), the flimsy feeling vehicle mode switch etc, cheapen the appearance. It's quite nice, but I do think they cheapened it up (but hey they are not Audi).. Room, nice, backseats nice, rear area nice.. Nice

Brakes: Ahhhh front and back vented, what a fantastic brake feel, they stop this 5000lb beast with easy. Great feedback , just flawless!
Exhaust tone, is quite nice when your on it under load, liked it.
Acceleration this vehicle (non twin turbo) has some uuumph @ 340 hp and 310 lb torque it's got some go power. One thing that I noted, is even when I tried to take off really slowly, the vehicle wanted to tear off, would have to get use to the throttle pedal that's for sure!

Suspension is much firmer then the allroad, very preferable. Really like it, it's stiff but I again prefer that. It's quite nice.

Over all, it's not bad (still not a complete fan of the exterior lines), but the motor purrs, has plenty of torque and the vehicle is setup quite nicely. Again I think if it was hunkered down a bit more, with all season performance tires, this would be pretty cool (not $70K + cool however.).

I got a brochure, okay a book! Seriously it's a book. they have some nice options and color combinations.

I will admit the engine and setup is pretty nice, this thing would be a pleasure to drive, on a day to day basis..

Tory
Old 04-13-2003, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like one.............but for at least $20k less than what they want.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wait a couple of years for a nice used one :-)

Porsche resale values are not all that good.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Agree my brother... Did you drive the blue one at Rector?

I checked it out as well. I really like the vehicle but what was Porsche thinking on the interior... my allroad is much nicer from a tactile and finish perspective.

But this this really hauls ***.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the blue one at Claridge (Fremont), they also have a burgundy and silver.

It drives really really well!! I see adjustable suspension is an option (standard on turbo model).. So you could have it sit a bit lower.. Bet their adjustable suspension actually is performance oriented
Old 04-14-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Problem is its ugly

Porsche tried way to hard to make it look like a 911 (front end).
Old 04-14-2003, 08:41 AM

Default Indeed! Me too!

Checked out a couple at Carlsen...

Side note: Very nice guys in there (considering I pulled up in my VW wearing shorts) However ALL their Cayenne's had an <i>additional dealer mark up of $3K</i>. I was a bit offended by this since; <b>A.)</b> They're NOT in demand <b>B.)</b> There is NO waiting list and <b>C.)</b> <i>Stevens Creek Porsche</i> and <i>MY Porsche</i> do <b>not</b> have additional dealer mark-ups.

Anyway, back to me....

For a guy who LOATHES SUV's I REALLY liked the Cayenne - MUCH better in person than in print. I fully agree with Troy however. I think it needs to be a bit more "stout" but if you get the optional air suspension ($3,300) it can!

I priced one out with all the options that were "must haves" for me - I'm looking at $65, 500. WAY TOO MUCH considering I can get a better equipped Touareg (VW), X5, etc. for $10-15K LESS. But I must admit it has tremendous "IT" factor appeal. I mean If I bought a Touareg I would feel "inferior" every time a Cayenne passed me. Also the Cayenne appeals to me the same way the allroad does - it truly looks different than anything on the road.... And if you're like me it's not so much about performance, handling, etc. it's about how it affects me - I never even test drove the last 4 cars I purchased. I just HAD to have it!

Honestly I'm presently torn. I can't afford $65,500 but if it still appeals to me (the way the AR does) a year from now I just may have to get one. I'm very brand-loyal (i.e. VW) which is why I LOVE Audi. The Cayenne, for me, would keep it "all in the family"; Porsche driving dynamics, VW quality/reliability (design) and Audi technology (4.2 V8 engine).... 8-)
Old 04-14-2003, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How can we get a Cayenne like thing with 340 hp, lower stance, better looks, and lower price...

Buy an S6! ;-)

Ok ok... The Cayenne has enough offroad footage on it's website to show that it can do some stuff on the trail. But if one doesn't need that... it's big, heavy, expensive, and silly looking.

I'll probably test drive one this weekend. =)
Old 04-14-2003, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ar-guy, sell me your TDI. I need a commuter car.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm, you might want to photoshop some aerobars and lights onto the Cayenne :-)

Quick Reply: Well just test drove the Porsche Cayenne...