Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Yet another brake update. Flushed the system again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another brake update. Flushed the system again...

This time the work was performed by DM motors in Palo Alto. The shop is pretty small, and the lot is filled with mostly old Porsches and Mercedes. There were a few old Audis, and a couple of newer Europeans, including the allroad demo car from Carlsen Audi.

Our allroad's brake system was flushed (3 times) using Motul 600, and the clutch master/slave cylinders drained and refilled. I had asked them to do it only twice, but they felt it needed a 3rd.

The result is that brake pedal feel is now very slightly better than it was stock! Pedal travel is similar to stock, but brake application is more linear. DM Motors charged 2 hours labor, and used only 3 pints (of the 8 pints) of brake fluid I left with them.

That amazes me. I have no idea how they flushed the system 3 times with 3 half-liter bottles of fluid. Did they recirculate the fluid? Either way, I'm quite thrilled with the results. And... maybe it's just a coincidence... but the clutch is very quiet now. I expected it to take several days for the squeaking, which began with the application of ATE Superblue, to go away. But, there are already no squeaks. (The Kerr Friction performance pads, however, are still quite chatty under light brake pressure. =)

All in all, I'd say this final changes makes the brake upgrade a success... though I don't know that I'd recommend much more than a flush for those looking to inexpensively improve pedal feel. One might want to consider new calipers for a real significant difference. It's hard for me to say how much of a difference the stainless steel lines make, due to not really being able to try them at their optimal performace back to back with the stock lines. I'm also guessing that I'll change to more quiet pads for street use.

Question for those using Axxis Ultimate (front) brake pads... how noisy/dusty are they??<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/37785.phtml">Original Brake Upgrade Experiance</a></li></ul>
Old 02-06-2003, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the Axxis Ultimate pad squeel a bit when cold, that's the pad I use on the street.......

seem to be about as dirty as stock, good to see ya got the brake thing sorted out.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 AM

Default Would you mind explaining why ATE Superblue is incompatable?...

I find this hard to believe. All brake fluids have to go thru DOT testing and have to meet a certain standard to be sold. I do not believe superblue is a good choice for the street as a racing fluid it is even more hydroscopic then normal fluids. We used it on a couple of race teams I was involved with and it worked great in the very harsh Can-Am car I built. How are the squeaks related to the brake fluid?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Theory is that it's the dye they use to make it blue.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not noisy, but pretty dusty (m)...

Also, make sure you bed them in properly. They tend to be a little slow in grabbing when wet unless they are fully bedded.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm afraid I don't have an explanation...

Other than to say that I diddn't realize there would be a problem untill one arised. Then, I did some research and found out that it wasn't uncommon -- specifically with Superblue. It's not the dye, as I was told (by someone who's replaced two S4 master cylinders damaged by ATE fluid) that the undyed version of the fluid causes the same problem.

Now, with new fluid, the problem is gone. Again, this doesn't <i>prove</i> the ATE Superblue was responsible... but it sure is a giant coincidance.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What about Mintex then? People have said they're cleaner.... and I assume that they're quiet too?

Eh... I might as well use the stock pads on the street. =)
Old 02-06-2003, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default brake upgrade by flushing system....

I mentioned in a post sometime ago that after having my brake system flushed with OEM fluid per the normal 2 yr. maintenance requirement, pedal feel improved dramatically, and the mush was gone. Well, I have some disappointing news for everyone, pedal feel has slowly deteriorated, and it's virtually back to its original OEM mush. Does anyone have an explanation? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had Mintex Red Boxes on my A4 and was very happy with them...

Same bite as stock and no need to wash the wheels every week.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think your source is mistaken on the dye issue...

I ran ATE in my A4 w/o the dye and had no clutch problems for the last 20k miles I owned the car.

Quick Reply: Yet another brake update. Flushed the system again...