Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Yet another winter tire thread -- focus on the value plays

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another winter tire thread -- focus on the value plays

Ok I hesitate to put this out to the forum but a search didn't give me the comfort I needed and I can't buy anything for the AR without checking here first.

Current tire -- Falken 512's, great tire in wet and dry, but do not have the stopping power I'd like in the snow. These will not cut it for the winter.

I'll be making trips to Vermont and I have a weekend home near Bear Mountain (think driving Cliffs of Insanity in the snow). Hopefully that gives a clear picture of needs.

Option 1: Cooper Weathermaster ST, probably a bit noisy and they are rated at 97T. However, I'm not a super aggresive driver.

Option 2: Hankook Icebear W300: Seems to be a great value, but heard they are not much better than all season tires.

Options 3 and 4: Blizzak REVO or WS 50. Winter tire budget is VERY tight this year, not sure how these compare to each other and the other 2 despite reading numerous reviews on TireRack.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where are you seeing 'meh' reviews on the Hankook?

From the allroad archives:

"...Great overall snow tire for the money. They are quiet, handle well for a snow tire, are great in snow - I have had some real chances and played around with them a bit last week and was very satisfied..."

"I bought them about 3 weeks ago and have put lots of miles on them in the snow. Let's see...mountain trips alone -- Friday and Sunday after thanksgiving, last Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. Then we had snow in Denver on Tuesday which left the roads slick through Wednesday...and the roads are still snow packed in spots.

Overall, they're good in the snow. I have also used Blizzak WS-50s, which I think were better (even on a 2WD car). But the Blizzak's quickly wear out on dry roads.

On dry roads, they are fantastic. They are quieter at highway speeds than my all-season contis, smoother too. They seem to grip very well. Driving Berthoud pass on dry roads, my brother's Volvo V70R equipped with Blizzak LM-23 were sometimes squealing like a pig, yet at the same cornering speeds my tires quiet..."

"...Hankook Icebear snow tires are the shiznit ijn the snow at least..."

I priced the Icebears recently, and given the reviews, they're a no-brainer for me (I'm in Southeastern PA).
Old 10-16-2006, 12:38 PM

Default I have also had the icebears...and think for the money, they are one of the best winter tires

not the MOST sticky ice tire, but for most days, there is nothing on the ground, so why waste the tread on dry streets. A bunch of folks here in Denver have switched to IceBears for winter driving, and they all love them. I have never heard a bad review about them either.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Go with the Icebear! They are a great value.. Great in the snow/dry and Quiet!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default I COMPLETELY agree about the Falkens not stopping well in the snow.

I run Blizzaks (now shot) on my 528i and I've been very pleased with their performance in the snow and ice, but they're squishy and wear quickly in the dry. I think I'll end up putting the Icebear on the allroad until spring and then put a performance tire on it for the summer. Now, how do I convice the wife that this is right thing to do..... <!>
Old 10-16-2006, 01:50 PM

Default If you want an aggressive winter tire, check out the Dayton Winterforce...

made by Bridgestone. They're about half the price of Nokians but still are well-rated. I'll mount mine on the ar in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Based on actual feedback from friends, I'm switching from Dunlop M3's to Icebears

this winter. But that's because I'm also switching from 17 to 18" snows too and got a killer deal on the Icebears.

Loved the M3 in all conditions. Friends who have the Icebears say they are 95% of what the M3 was in the deep snow, better on hard pack, nice in the wet, and much quieter in the dry, though i always thought the M3 was quiet.

I just always hated to give up the crispness of my summer 18's every winter. So I think the 18" snows will be a nice compromise.

But everryone I know who has gotten Icebears here in the Chicago area has loved them. One friend with a BMW 3-series said they transformed his car from downright scary to a car he can drive with confidence in the snow.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default "Killer Deal" on Hankook Icebears???

Hey Ed, where did you get your "killer deal" on the Hankook Icebears?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:26 PM

Default If you figure out how to convince your spouse that new wheels are the best way

to handle the winter/summer tire dilemna you let me know and we'll both try that approach Just am having trouble with the budget issue right now, but if I were doing dedicated snows these would be my choice.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 AM

Another happy Icebears W300 user. They're so quiet I run them year around on my low mileage allroad

Quick Reply: Yet another winter tire thread -- focus on the value plays