Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Coming soon from Audi: Bidirectional charging.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Coming soon from Audi: Bidirectional charging.

Future Audi(s) will allow your car to power your house during a power outage.
Info here: Autoweek article
Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Hah! this is automatic in essentially all cars I believe with the 2023 CCS update. Audi being a bit cute by taking credit for it. It is going to be useful. Right now, after I expanded my roof panels, I have about 8,000 kwh of electricity 'banked' with the utility that I have to use by Dec 31 or I will lose it.

Last edited by theo1000; 07-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

When they enable this, will dramatically change our electric grid. I’m part of the NE power outages from the tropical storm, and now we’re looking at a generator and/or solar/battery.

To have the car be our “backup” that could last a week on limited use would be amazing.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Using the car for a power wall instead of purchasing a separate battery pack would promote EV adoption a thousand fold. Hopefully, would also allow one car to charge another, AAA might get EV trucks to rescue stranded EV drivers.
Lot to look forward to in the coming years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill33525:
calbear92 (08-09-2020), newmanium (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
Hah! this is automatic in essentially all cars I believe with the 2023 CCS update. Audi being a bit cute by taking credit for it. It is going to be useful. Right now, after I expanded my roof panels, I have about 8,000 kwh of electricity 'banked' with the utility that I have to use by Dec 31 or I will lose it.
Can you please tell me more about this? I've been looking to purchase 2 Powerwalls for a PV system for my new home. But I work from home and will have my car parked at home most of the time during the day. If it's possible to charge the car directly from PV (i.e. ONLY PV when desired) that would be wonderful but I'm not sure this will be possible. And you're saying all cars by 2023 will be required to be bi-directional? I'm wondering if this means I shouldn't waste $20k on 27kWh of Tesla batteries and wait for my Etron or Rivian. I haven't decided which one yet.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bidirectional charging

I cancelled my order for an Q5e last year after languished in the Port of Baltimore for several months. At about the same time I made a decision to switch to an e-tron EV. Is there any clear view on bidirectional charging for the 2024 model year? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 677 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveNC53
I cancelled my order for an Q5e last year after languished in the Port of Baltimore for several months. At about the same time I made a decision to switch to an e-tron EV. Is there any clear view on bidirectional charging for the 2024 model year? Thanks.
There has been no indication at this point that the 2024 Q8 e-tron will support bi-directional charging. Note that if Audi says that they will update it at some point down the road, you should not expect your Audi to have its capabilities updated beyond the day you purchased it short of minor software efficiency updates you will have to go to the dealer to get. This is not a deal breaker, just be aware that "We will update this down the road" simply does not happen.

I can't find the actual Audi article now but here is a statement talking about Audi's upcoming V2H and it just never happened. So I would not count on it now.

Audi e-tron EVs to Gain Bi-Directional Charging (evglobe.com)

Last edited by A4 Phil; 02-12-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Most homes are currently NOT designed to be "powered" by an external source such as an EV. Ford has used this "capability" extensively in marketing the F150 Lightning - someone did an evaluation to see what it would cost to convert their home electric panel wiring to allow this capability. They came out with an $18,000 estimate. Not sure everyone is willing to sign up for that at this time. Once you know and understand EV capabilities and usage you quickly learn that there is so much HYPE right now in marketing EVs by all the manufacturers. Charging time - always marketed at the available max rate - go find a charger that provides that reliably. Range - always the biggest number under optimal conditions - few of us live in "optimal" conditions routinely. Cost - usually a base model and not the one you want. Horsepower and 0-60 times - limited time period and invoke that often and watch your range die. I love our e-Tron but you have to fully understand capabilities and limitations. If you don't you'll be consistently complaining and nitpicking the vehicle.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

It may well cost around $15,000 to get the inverter and ‘deadman’ switch, etc. installed so that you can use V2H charging, but that is just the cost of one 13 kWhr Tesla Powerwall! The Lightning is like having 10 Powerwalls usable for the house.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

On my Beneteau sailboat I had I had a 12V system including solar panels, wind driven generator and (6) 6V "House" batteries. These, along with a 3500 XANTREX provided all my120V, communication, lighting and navigation needs. When connected to shore power the XANTREX was just a pass thru. At our lake house we have a Kohler 26K generator with an automatic switching system to connect and disconnect the house from the power grid. Neither complete system came anywhere near $18,000. I think at this stage, people would be happy to take an extension cord and plug in the wifi, a computer, a refrigerator and a light and ride out the storm. Basically an upgraded Hyundai Ioniq 5. After awhile there is going to be a lot of energy stored in peoples garages.
The following users liked this post:
MobileComfortDome (02-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Coming soon from Audi: Bidirectional charging.