Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

e-tron review from March 14, Auto Motor u. Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default e-tron review from March 14, Auto Motor u. Sport

Here is a review from THE German Auto Motor und Sport. I think the main negative that they discuss is the very large weight of the vehicle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMS March 14 2019 B.pdf (2.21 MB, 127 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

^^

Not really, seemed (although my German is lousy) to be more commenting how agile and responsive it felt despite the large weight. They seem surprised just how good the traction and handling were. The range suffered when they hammered it, which was not a great surprise. They liked both the quality and the layout of the interior.

What they didn't like were the virtual mirrors and the steering, which had no great feel.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
^^

Not really, seemed (although my German is lousy) to be more commenting how agile and responsive it felt despite the large weight. They seem surprised just how good the traction and handling were. The range suffered when they hammered it, which was not a great surprise. They liked both the quality and the layout of the interior.

What they didn't like were the virtual mirrors and the steering, which had no great feel.
You are absolutely correct. I read another review of the e-tron in another German magazine (on the plane back to Boston) and remembered incorrectly. All clear after re-reading this. Have not read a single "bad" review. The main criticism in all of them is the placement of the side view mirror screens. Obviously, we are all way to used to looking at the side mirrors.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

^^

I know there is always an adjustment period with something new, but I think the mirror screens are too low and hard to glance at to get a feel if something is there or not. I'd get the normal mirrors every time, even though the lower Cd and the tech is attractive. But they are also expensive, so not sure the virtual mirrors will have a high take up rate.

I was reading a thread (re. e-tron order status) on one of the German forums today that was discussing this AMS review. Most of the posters were abusing the AMS reviewer for criticising the steering
Old 03-27-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Kind of a followup video to the e-tron testing, Tesla X 100 vs e-tron. Not a German speaker and the auto translate is far from perfect so any help most appreciated. Here's a link and synopsis of test results:

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 03-27-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

lots of good data from Herr Bloch's colleagues. Perhaps some of the most useful bits of data:

Maximum range after a fast DC charge (up to 80% charge) is 200 miles (322 km) People have posted graphs showing that fast charging after reaching 80% charge is much slower.
On the autobahn, the e-tron uses 25.7 kWh/100 km as shown on the Audi computer, (about 200 miles assuming a net battery power of 83kWh)
Mixed driving range for Audi was 380 km (236 miles)
Bloch points out that Audi does better than Tesla in terms of recuperation in mixed driving. (No effect on highway driving).

It is interesting to read all the comments posted. Most of them seem to rip Audi for building a car many years after the Tesla that is not "better". Most feel that a newer car should win these type of comparisons.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
lots of good data from Herr Bloch's colleagues. Perhaps some of the most useful bits of data:

Maximum range after a fast DC charge (up to 80% charge) is 200 miles (322 km) People have posted graphs showing that fast charging after reaching 80% charge is much slower.
On the autobahn, the e-tron uses 25.7 kWh/100 km as shown on the Audi computer, (about 200 miles assuming a net battery power of 83kWh)
Mixed driving range for Audi was 380 km (236 miles)
Bloch points out that Audi does better than Tesla in terms of recuperation in mixed driving. (No effect on highway driving).

It is interesting to read all the comments posted. Most of them seem to rip Audi for building a car many years after the Tesla that is not "better". Most feel that a newer car should win these type of comparisons.
The ranges you are listing above are quite reasonable and will serve the needs of the majority of drivers. I find this reassuring. The e-tron is designed as a luxury SUV that is electric, it's heavy and has a lot of bells and whistles (which are electric). It isn't too surprising Teslas are more efficient, but they are more spartan in design. You need to decide what your priorities are. By getting the Audi over the Tesla, you are getting a far more luxurious ride, albeit a bit less efficient, for a lower starting price than the Model X. The Model X has faster acceleration, but the e-tron is still much faster than the typical SUV. The e-tron was designed to ease the transition to electric mobility. It should be a comfortable transition, IMHO
Old 03-27-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I really like this guy. I wish I didn't have to read along. I think this video was slightly more upbeat than his "Innovative or Not Innovative" video previous.

Here's what I found surprising:
  • total drag not as uncompetitive as coefficient would make it seem due to smaller frontal area of e-tron
  • usable battery capacity of Tesla 100 is a full 10 kWh more than e-tron
  • e-tron unexpectedly competitive in mixed driving due to recuperation (so it actually works)
  • not sure the 12 minute/100 km upload was as fully vetted as the rest of the data and seems overly simplistic
IMO, if you accept the comparison with the X, which is a larger car, then the real shortfall of the e-tron is the usable size of the battery pack. The drag shortfall delta is roughly equivalent to the consumption delta in highway driving, so the efficiency of the "machine" seems comparable. I would have bet otherwise.

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 03-27-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DMcDnald
The ranges you are listing above are quite reasonable and will serve the needs of the majority of drivers. I find this reassuring. The e-tron is designed as a luxury SUV that is electric, it's heavy and has a lot of bells and whistles (which are electric). It isn't too surprising Teslas are more efficient, but they are more spartan in design. You need to decide what your priorities are. By getting the Audi over the Tesla, you are getting a far more luxurious ride, albeit a bit less efficient, for a lower starting price than the Model X. The Model X has faster acceleration, but the e-tron is still much faster than the typical SUV. The e-tron was designed to ease the transition to electric mobility. It should be a comfortable transition, IMHO
+1.
Exactly. Well said.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
Maximum range after a fast DC charge (up to 80% charge) is 200 miles (322 km)
If I heard (read) it correctly, the 80% number is 160 miles (258 km). Charging to 100% will get you near 200 though. The charge rate for the e-tron is quite respectable ramping down from 150kW to 50kW north of 80%. So about 10 more minutes of charging to get to 100%. Not bad.

Quick Reply: e-tron review from March 14, Auto Motor u. Sport