Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

electric parking brake operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default electric parking brake operation

Does the electric parking brake automatically disengage when you shift out of Park into reverse or drive, and does it engage when shifting into park. I test drove an e-tron and had to set and release the parking brake manually. Every car I've owned with electric an parking brake, I've had many, Mercedes, Lexus, Chrysler, all have set or released by shifting in or out of park. Perhaps its operation can be changed in vehicle settings. My Prestige is currently enroute and scheduled to arrive June 16. Hoping someone has some insight into this
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

From the manual:

Automatically releasing the parking brake when starting to drive
Requirement: the driver's door must be closed and the driver's safety belt must be fastened.
Press the accelerator pedal to start to drive.
- If you leave the vehicle when "D" or "R" are engaged, the parking brake will be set automatically.

The parking brake also sets automatically when a charge cable is attached. Checked that one out today.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
From the manual:

The parking brake also sets automatically when a charge cable is attached. Checked that one out today.
Same here, auto release when in D or R, and auto lock when in P (or engines are shut down)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by fideba
Same here, auto release when in D or R, and auto lock when in P (or engines are shut down)
Not exactly. e.g. I pull into the garage bay every day, put in P, turn off "ignition", open charge port, plug the J1772 in. and I can hear the "hand/parking/emergency brake" in the back wheels engaging. Therefore. it doesn't auto lock when in P.

Also, it appears to me that there is another "transmission/moto lock" when you put in the park ( similar to automatic transmission) e.g. if the e-tron is rolling at very low speed ( sub-inch / sec) and you hit the park. the car jerk to a stop, and then you can apply hand brake on top of that.

Also. in a steep incline, if you stop with the brake pedal, hold the pedal down, then put in "P". When you then release the pedal the e-tron roll back/forward slightly... just like a automatic; thus,reenforcing that there is a "transmission" / motor mechanical locking engaging.

To sum, Audi thought of everything, to make the e-tron to behavior as close to ICE vehicle as much as possible