Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Electrify America Charging with MyAudi App: Brilliant!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I finally got over to an EA site myself, charged at 147kw (the auxillary A/C was on the whole time which likely brought it down from 150kw). Everything went fine and I used the Audi app to start it. About 60 to 80% (15.9 kWh) in 6min20sec. Price would have been $5.41. (session fee more significant for this limited 15.9kWh charge.

Two things I'd suggest for future updates:

1) It was a bit slow to start charging after entering the charger ID in the Audi app. Charging started about 30 seconds after entering ID, which felt like wasted time. I'm assuming it's the payment communication that is holding it up because home charging starts faster. I'd like to see it communicate with the car and then start immediately. I fully realize there are issues with non-payment etc. but there are ways around that situation.

2) I agree with adding ISO 15118 (or equivalent) support. I just want to plug in and have it charge my account. Tesla has this perfected.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plucked that charging cable, I bet it would make a high C. That length should have been thought through a little bit better. Regardless, thanks for the write-up!
Old 06-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pkulak
If you plucked that charging cable, I bet it would make a high C. That length should have been thought through a little bit better. Regardless, thanks for the write-up!
Yeah, I was looking at that and thinking the same thing. Especially since EA is a VAG initiative.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pkulak

Here's a photo from the other side. I parked right up to the curb but centered to the charger. If I had parked slightly offset, it may have been a little bit better. It puts a lot of acceptable but unnecessary pressure on the socket. You can see from the first photo that at this location, you could park parallel to the back side and plug in much easier. I'm not sure why they run the cables like they do. It might be to reduce the chance those thick liquid cooled cables drag across the ground. It also makes them look more like gas pumps. I don't think that's necessarily bad because even the most clueless driver knows not to park in front of a gas pump. However, I've never seen gas pumps that you park perpendicular to so the design isn't perfect.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Charging rates

My understanding from my research thus far is that in some states, if you charge for electric by unit of energy vice time, you have to be registered as a utility company, hence, charging by time.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tesla charges for actual energy used, so it’s poor excuse to see from a competitor.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by michaelf
Tesla charges for actual energy used, so it’s poor excuse to see from a competitor.
Tesla only does that in states where they can. But time is better anyway. The resource you're using isn't really the electricity, it's the $400,000 fast charging equipment. And every minute you're on it, is a minute someone else isn't.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It’s a good point. It also dis-incentivizes inefficient charging (going to 100%) since you’re paying the full rate despite getting much less energy per minute.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I drove a 200 mile trip that I'd be doing often this upcoming year in my Q7. I did the trip as if I were driving the e-tron. There is an EA charger almost exactly 100 miles from my house (1/2 way point), so I checked it out. They had 4 350kw chargers, 2 150kw chargers and 1 or 2 50kw chargers. There was another EA charger another 50 miles on the route that I would likely hit on the way back with pretty much the same makeup. Two questions. Does the e-tron charge any faster on the 350kw versus the 150kw (I think the answer is no, but not sure). Obviously, if it's not, no sense using the 350kw and paying the extra charge for it...but, if it is faster, anyone compare the charging speeds between the two?
Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

The 350 has the same amps as the 150, so no, it'll be exactly the same as far as your car knows. But, until the Taycan is released, there's no one you could be taking it from anyway.

Last edited by pkulak; 06-08-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrify America Charging with MyAudi App: Brilliant!