Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Happy with E-tron Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default e-tron is great

I just traded out of a Tesla Model S into the e-tron and so far it has been a pleasure. The e-tron is far more luxurious and comfortable than the Tesla. I am driving the Edition One so have most of the bells and whistles. Drives well, nice handling, quiet and just all around fun to be in.
The following users liked this post:
Northern Goat (11-28-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WardCleaver
Thanks for the feedback. It's most certainly the friction brakes. Like you describe, I hear it during hard braking, or coming to a stop. I had an e-tron loaner before buying mine, and there was no sound like this.
How do your rotors look? I just had a loaner while my recall work was performed. The brakes squealed and the rotors showed a lot of circular scoring/corrosion. On my car, the rotors are uniform in appearance and quiet.

While I had the loaner, I tried a couple of aggressive stops to try and bed in the brakes. Seemed to help. There is a note in the manual in regards to the "unique" brake characteristics due to regenerative braking.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

Thank you everyone for the replies!

This is not my first VAG or even first Audi so I kind of know what I'm getting into regarding the brand and dealer experience. That being said, my dealer has been great over the past 10 years that we've worked with them: I feel treated very fairly on service related issues and they have been overall extremely responsive. The sales process is just that - a process. It's a negotiation and you can't fault anyone for that, but they have always been straight up, minimal BS, etc... So I feel I'm good in that department, though of course I'll shop around a bit just to ensure pricing is on point.

I guess the rest of the responses are encouraging and mirror my test drive but it sounds like there are definitely some teething issues.

As far as charging, we can easily install level 2 charging at home for a few hundred dollars plus the cost of any EVSE charger (or use the Audi supplied one), so that should be very straightforward. Vacation home is a bit trickier and I'll definitely need the ability to charge there as there are currently very limited public options though that is supposed to change in the not too distant future. Thank you everyone: I'll be sure to post pics if I decide to pull the trigger
Old 11-06-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
The e-tron braking system is unlike that in any other car, Audi or otherwise. The friction brakes only engage in very hard stops and for the last few feet of travel before the car comes to a complete halt. There's almost certainly something significantly wrong with an e-tron that has squealing brakes. If this is your first car with an electric motor-generator, you may be hearing generator whine. That's a noise which all hybrids and EVs make when they're generating electricity. It's the sound of money going in your pocket.
This is how the A3 e-tron braking system worked, except in that version, there is no automatic feature where the car slows down due to vehicles in front. So it's not NEW.
ridgey1990 (01-25-2020)
Old 11-07-2019, 04:16 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmac
This is how the A3 e-tron braking system worked, except in that version, there is no automatic feature where the car slows down due to vehicles in front. So it's not NEW.
Interesting perspective. Although the A3 e-tron system was innovative at the time compared to other hybrids and EVs, the e-tron system is entirely new and different. Saying it's "not new" is accurate only insofar as cars all have brakes and therefore the idea of a car with brakes is not new.

The new e-tron system is electronic (only the actuator is hydraulic) and computer controlled, making it the closest thing to a true 100% "brake-by-wire" system that's ever been used in a volume production car. The A3 system operates on the front wheels only, for obvious reasons, and is linked to the car's transmission. It's innovative for sure but is more similar to what's found in most other hybrids and PHEVs than it is to the e-tron.

Last edited by mtberman; 11-07-2019 at 07:07 AM.
A4rooster (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
How do your rotors look? I just had a loaner while my recall work was performed. The brakes squealed and the rotors showed a lot of circular scoring/corrosion. On my car, the rotors are uniform in appearance and quiet.

While I had the loaner, I tried a couple of aggressive stops to try and bed in the brakes. Seemed to help. There is a note in the manual in regards to the "unique" brake characteristics due to regenerative braking.
Rotors look pretty normal. No corrosion, no visible scoring that I can tell, and they feel smooth if you run a fingernail across them. Will try a couple hard stops to see if that helps.
Northern Goat (11-28-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gfrnd
The e-Tron is great. I've never owned and never wanted an SUV but compromised because I wanted an electric.
Dealer experience was not good, I have no respect for our closest dealer and will not work with them in the future; there are other dealers in the region (central CT).
Driving the car is an extreme pleasure. It isn't often when you can make a change that feels right while adding to the fun at the same time. This vehicle does that.
However:
The MMI/management/myAudi is a disgrace. VW/Audi should be ashamed of their inability to deliver on the electronics. I have to assume many of the problem aren't unique to the e-Tron since the MMI is nearly identical to many of their other vehicles. I have a current model BMW and connectivity and systems are so much better. We have the dreaded exit malfunction, the mapping regarding chargers is a joke, shortcuts disappear, the car doesn't recognize alternate driver, I could go on. None of these issues make a car that drives so well bad but all of the annoyances collect. I hope VW/Audi is focused fixing this mess right away and will appropriately provide the purchasers with correctly functioning systems.
I'm happy I have this vehicle BUT unless they fix the systems and communications to current standards when it comes time to replace the BMW with an electric vehicle, VW/Audi will not be considered. The Polestar 2 is looking good and I'm looking forward to what BMW offers in a non SUV. I want a VW but again no way unless they fix the countless technology issues.
Couldn't agree more on the MMI/remote connection via the app, it is shockingly poor, if I would have known how poor it was, I would not of purchased the vehicle (regardless of it being a nice drive). You watch the videos and read the marketing page and think great, remote heating, charger setting and status, real time traffic, multi user etc. How wrong could you be, to be honest it is just complete miss selling. I struggle to get the remote heating working, one of the key luxuries when it’s cold to have on an electric car you, you would think it was simple to warm it up before you jump in or set a timer, well think again, I have given up and live with the disappointment of manual cleaning of windows and sitting in cold seats/interior. If you do get a communication with the car, you find out you can not even set the temperature via the climate timer (go figure that out). It is also non logical and difficult to navigate. As for the charger location on the maps, that’s anyone’s guess what it show you. I have never had such technolgy frustrations with any other cars. The etron is my first and will be my last Audi.

ridgey1990 (01-25-2020)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I am thoroughly enjoying this car as well. It is my first electric vehicle. The only thing I don't like is the range but it hasn't really limited me in any meaningful way. I just charge more frequently than I'd like.

Also, as for the squeaky brake issue, I took my e-Tron in for that and was told that a couple of hard stops would solve the issue. It did but the problem reappears every two weeks or so and I just need to do a couple of hard stops again to make it go away.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I took my A4 in for the 30k service this morning. Mentioned to the service tech that I like the etron they had sitting out there in the service bay. His response...do you want to drive it? My answer was the only right answer you can give to that question. So I got an etron as a loaner today and I expected it to be nice but it exceeded pretty much every expectation it possibly could for only having it for 8ish hours. The shifter is kinda weird and the center console is kinda weird too. Not sure how I feel about the touch screen AC control they're using in new models. Even with that, it's amazing. Not sure why anyone would buy an ugly Tesla van over this
The following 2 users liked this post by Anthony Voelker:
e-tronDriver (11-13-2019), E39Nutz (11-08-2019)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Is this the only "are you happy", list of gripes thread? (I thought I saw another thread titled "gripes" or "issues"... but I can't find it.)

As I prepare to jump in (when the Sportback is launched), and I look to sell this concept to my wife and justify to myself that I am OK being an early adopter... Do we have a working list of issues? What am I missing (is this on another thread)?
  1. Range at 204
  2. Range in Cold
  3. Battery Condensation issue and recall
  4. Level 3 Charging System
  5. Issues with camera rear view mirrors in Europe
  6. Disconnecting the power cable
  7. Door opening latches from inside
  8. Leaking sunroof
  9. The App
  10. MMI
  11. Mapping system, with locations of charging stations

Last edited by BlackOptic; 01-15-2020 at 11:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackOptic:
Daniel Zinnikas (02-22-2020), ridgey1990 (01-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Happy with E-tron Purchase?