Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Happy with E-tron Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved driving my e-tron but it has been at the dealer for weeks diagnosing and correct a fault in the level 3 charging system. Parts are practically non-existent in North America and so I am waiting on parts to come from Germany.

To top it all off, this work involves removing the battery. This worries me terribly. Again, I think the e-tron is great in concept but to be honest I have never had this bad of an issue in a new Audi and I have owed a bunch.
The following 3 users liked this post by D3-Mac:
BlackOptic (01-15-2020), Raj Rao (01-17-2020), ridgey1990 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks, D3-Mac! I actually take solace knowing that the battery modules can be removed (so easily?)! Knowing that my biggest hang up is wondering what happens in 5-10 years (if i still own the car) and battery technologies have changed.

I hope you have a good loaner!
The following users liked this post:
D3-Mac (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi BlackOptic

Well, I started this thread and I have now had my e-tron for just under 2 months.

Car is awesome for sure - no regrets so far. However, adjusting to EV life definitely takes time and planning if you're going anywhere beyond the city. So far, so good, but the first month (before I had my level 2 home charger installed) there were many late nights fighting Nissan Leafs for public DC fast chargers

You will quickly learn all of the local charger locations. If you travel, Plugshare app and abetterrouteplanner.com will be invaluable.

Driving the car is super sweet though - I just love being in it! Power is smooth, comfort is great, the artificial "engine noise" is just awesome, especially in parking garages and such. Sure, that's a novelty and will probably wear off over time, but currently, I'm really enjoying it!

There have been some horror stories online for sure and I feel badly for those people because they've had a chance to experience how great this car is. It's new tech for sure and there are some quirks and I'm sure there will be a learning curve for everyone involved over the next few years. But infrastructure is developing quickly and this is only going to get easier.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2020, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

I got in my wife's Audi SQ5 for a run to the store last night, I've not driven her vehicle for a month. I have to say, I used to think her SQ5 was pretty jazzy, but now it feels last-century primitive, rough-riding, noisy , can feel the engine vibrations through the steering wheel, and very much unrefined. I was actually a bit stunned at how spoiled I have become in 30 days of E-Tron ownership. Between the air suspension, the noise-insulated glass, the seamless acceleration and all the other things its a huge leap forward from anything we've owned before. I would very much miss the E-Tron if I didn't have it. None of the little niggles here and there put a dent in a vehicle that is 99.5% all goodness.

The following 6 users liked this post by drcollie2:
BlackOptic (01-16-2020), JDANDERSON (01-16-2020), LavaGrau_A3 (01-16-2020), Raj Rao (01-17-2020), TechnoPlutocrat (01-17-2020), theo1000 (01-17-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

5 months in and love the car. Minor issues. Nothing major. I feel bad for the people who have posted with issues as obviously some cars will have. I’ve been lucky and don’t regret the purchase at all.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

2 months in here and also love the car. Only small issues, including minor interior rattling (tricky to replicate at the dealer) and some infotainment bugginess (but nothing like what has been reported here). Coming from Tesla and most recently an Jaguar I-Pace buyback, the e-tron hits the sweet spot of quality, comfort, features, performance, style and range. As a Tesla owner I used to think range and efficiency was everything, not so much anymore, especially when you step up to Audi interiors. Most people rarely need to drive 200 miles in a day; I think the "need" for extreme range just comes from a lifetime of "making sure you have enough gas in the tank" which doesn't really factor in the EV reality of overnight charging every night.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Spideymd
5 months in and love the car. Minor issues. Nothing major. I feel bad for the people who have posted with issues as obviously some cars will have. I’ve been lucky and don’t regret the purchase at all.
Exactly. On the internet it's easy to see all the negative remarks/issues... but all the happy campers are too busy being happy. It makes it hard to actually buy anything on Amazon!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Only 2 weeks in but so far we're delighted. Lots of well thought out features and engineering touches, roomy, beautifully executed interior and exterior design, and a really entertaining driving experience. We test drove an i-Pace right before the Audi and while it offered excellent performance it just didn't have the same quality feel of fit and finish. When we climbed into the Audi for the first time my wife remarked, "Now compared to the Jag, THIS feels like we're in an $80,000 car". I heartily agree.
Daniel Zinnikas (02-22-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

As a car, the e-Tron is wonderful. Does what I want as the driver, delights the wife as the passenger.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
When we climbed into the Audi for the first time my wife remarked, "Now compared to the Jag, THIS feels like we're in an $80,000 car". I heartily agree.
People ask why I chose the e-tron over a Tesla (or any other) product. This is why. It's a top-of-the-line Audi before it's anything else.
Daniel Zinnikas (02-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Happy with E-tron Purchase?