Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Perhaps incoming software updates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

This from Audi USA in my mailbox yesterday., December 23rd.

I still have trouble disconnecting from time to time on level 2 chargers (and mine at home). It's annoying to have to explain to the Mrs, why she has to standard around for a few minutes while my fancy new car decides whether or not it will release the charge cable so we can go. Make sure the car is unlocked, make sure the aux heater is off, make sure the charger is turned off first, do three spins around without stopping while on one foot and pat your head at that same time. COME ON AUDI, just let me unplug the damn thing.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie2

I still have trouble disconnecting from time to time on level 2 chargers (and mine at home). It's annoying to have to explain to the Mrs, why she has to standard around for a few minutes while my fancy new car decides whether or not it will release the charge cable so we can go. Make sure the car is unlocked, make sure the aux heater is off, make sure the charger is turned off first, do three spins around without stopping while on one foot and pat your head at that same time. COME ON AUDI, just let me unplug the damn thing.

As the mailing states, the occurrence of the issue is indeed isolated. In my case, it only happens when I’m charging.
The following users liked this post:
MN-EV (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
As the mailing states, the occurrence of the issue is indeed isolated. In my case, it only happens when I’m charging.
Hahaha! This would be hilarious if it wasn't such a sad state of affairs....
Old 12-24-2019, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie2

it’s December 24th apparently they have only a few days left in 2019 to fix it. Absolutely poor behavior from a luxury brand. I’ll leave it at that because you get called out in here for being too negative against Audi for wanting an $80k+ car that works.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

This from a European E-Tron Forum, seems to work for him - could be worth a try:

"​​​​​​If you press unlock on your keyfob and press on the charge port release button at the same time, it releases the charger. I found this capability on a site regarding electric Volkswagons and desperation, tried it on my e-tron, and it worked like a charm!"

I did this on my most recent charge session as well and it DOES work.

Last edited by drcollie2; 12-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.
hrc1079 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Raj Rao
57H3
[...]
Criterion 03 updating the universal charging cable.

The charging cable does not store the customers last setting (the charging power is reset to 50% when the vehicle is next charged)
[...]
OMG so it's not just me! There's an actual software fix for this! My dealer gave me the runaround on this issue, and claimed the charger reset to 50% each time you charge due to "electrical code requirements". Bull****!
Old 12-29-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
OMG so it's not just me! There's an actual software fix for this! My dealer gave me the runaround on this issue, and claimed the charger reset to 50% each time you charge due to "electrical code requirements". Bull****!
Yeah I was told it was because I had an "industrial\commercial" outlet it will always go back to 50%. Everything that comes out of Audi's and or the dealers mouths regarding issues \ bugs with this car are absolute BS at this point.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just stopped by my local Audi dealer (after getting locked to 4...yes 4...local chargers). They actually did it. They hit their EOY deadline for the software update. Alas, the guy who can authorize the software install (which is stupid to begin with) was already gone for the day. I'll be seeing them bright and early on Thursday, 1/2 to be their first software update guinea pig.

Hopefully this at least solves for the charger lock issue. Still doesn't solve for Electrify America being hot garbage, but I'll take a small win for the time being

Catch you all in the next decade!
The following 2 users liked this post by iStocky:
e-TronCurious (01-31-2020), skaven81 (12-31-2019)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, my E-Tron Locks to all chargers and won't release on the first try 90% of the time, even after I follow all instructions. Thanks for posting that the update is available, I'll be headed to the dealer shortly as well.
e-TronCurious (01-31-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iStocky
Just stopped by my local Audi dealer (after getting locked to 4...yes 4...local chargers). They actually did it. They hit their EOY deadline for the software update. Alas, the guy who can authorize the software install (which is stupid to begin with) was already gone for the day. I'll be seeing them bright and early on Thursday, 1/2 to be their first software update guinea pig.

Hopefully this at least solves for the charger lock issue. Still doesn't solve for Electrify America being hot garbage, but I'll take a small win for the time being

Catch you all in the next decade!
Alas, the TFM for Audi of Boise is still on vacation...until Monday. Won't be getting my software update for a bit. Also...it's 2020...how is it that Audi has made something complicated (software updates) that we as a society spent the last two decades perfecting? [OTA updates] *sigh*

Quick Reply: Perhaps incoming software updates?