Audi e-Tron GT Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron GT

Lease or Buy a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lease or Buy a GT?

I’ve owned six Audis over the past 8 years and have always purchased with trade plus cash. This includes my new Q5e PHEV(love it). I’m thinking of trading in my wife’s 2018 A4 (she’s open to it!) towards an e tron GT. I only want electric now but really miss the look and feel of my 2016 A7, as well my 2018 S5. Does it make more sense to lease a GT for three years rather than buy? I really don’t want to dump 75K + in cash for the deal as I would worry about obsolescence a well as depreciation. Opinions? Thanks.

Last edited by tcjazz321; 08-29-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:09 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

IMO lease. I think the rate of change of the EV's will be higher than previous generations of cars. New software or battery tech will make the old ones seem useless even though they really are not, it is just the way things are...the newer one will be more desirable than the old one with less range and/or less power. With the way Audi operates I expect there will be a 2023 e-tron GT S for $115k. Instead of having to develop an "S" level engine they will just turn up the juice a bit and add some (not all) of the RS bits and voila.
Also Audi doesn't have a track record of releasing software improvements to older models, they are more of the "you want something better" buy the new one sort of company.
I'd feel pretty crappy too if I drop $118k+ on an e-tron only to find out they cracked the solid state battery tech a couple years in and now they get 500+ mile range with less weight....
However, does anyone know the residuals on an e-tron GT? Maybe the leasing companies already account for this and they have a 40% residual in 3 years? That would suck too... paying $70k+ over 3 years and having nothing at the end.
Either way it is an expensive proposition for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Bloodstar57 (11-17-2023)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
IMO lease. I think the rate of change of the EV's will be higher than previous generations of cars. New software or battery tech will make the old ones seem useless even though they really are not, it is just the way things are...the newer one will be more desirable than the old one with less range and/or less power. With the way Audi operates I expect there will be a 2023 e-tron GT S for $115k. Instead of having to develop an "S" level engine they will just turn up the juice a bit and add some (not all) of the RS bits and voila.
Also Audi doesn't have a track record of releasing software improvements to older models, they are more of the "you want something better" buy the new one sort of company.
I'd feel pretty crappy too if I drop $118k+ on an e-tron only to find out they cracked the solid state battery tech a couple years in and now they get 500+ mile range with less weight....
However, does anyone know the residuals on an e-tron GT? Maybe the leasing companies already account for this and they have a 40% residual in 3 years? That would suck too... paying $70k+ over 3 years and having nothing at the end.
Either way it is an expensive proposition for sure.
Lease. The car price will tank in the coming year(s) due to it's low mileage when today you see Tesla, Lucid etc. delivering cars in the 400 to 500+ mile EPA range.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone. Smart advice. I’ve decided to go forward with a 3 year lease, trading in my wife’s A4 for a great number, receiving the full equivalent of federal and state incentives, as well as dealer discounts. And the drive? Feels like a high speed European electric train taking off. Handles better than my old A7. And yet very comfortable. Expensive? You bet. But a good lease makes it doable. I’m thrilled.

jrjunior31 (10-09-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Would you share the dealer discounts?
Old 09-02-2021, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer took off $4000 from the 109K MSRP, less 8K for the equivalent of fed and state incentives, less a top of range trade value. And a good lease factor. Not too many of these around so I feel fortunate.
DadAudi (09-02-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjazz321
The dealer took off $4000 from the 109K MSRP, less 8K for the equivalent of fed and state incentives, less a top of range trade value. And a good lease factor. Not too many of these around so I feel fortunate.
You did well. I got exactly the same (Buy price 112 and discount 4.5) but in pounds in the UK. After a lot of discussions with those in the know, I found (to my surprise) that it was a good deal ..... for a new GT anyway. Over here they are offering next to nothing in discounts and ALL allocations have long since gone. I think I fell lucky with the only dealer in the UK who had one left on allocation. Either that or them selling that final unit got them some form of deal or recognition only they know about.

In terms of lease or buy the UK car press describe the GT depreciation as "glacial" ..... it does appear to be the one car you could invest in and come out the other side three years later with the least dent in your outlay.

I went lease as well having said that. I'm not sure (or rather am sure) that battery tech absolutely will go through a shift that will make future propositions significantly better. And to be honest, nice as the GT is, there are other things in the wings that ace it.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your experience echoes mine. I just acquired the car today and couldn’t be happier. Fast, sporty, luxurious, all elements well designed. Daytona grey pearl exterior, grey alcantara interior. Sport package with the RS wheels, variable suspension, etc. I loved my A7 years ago but this is a major step forward. A true GT with zero emissions. By the way in efficiency mode it used only 38 miles of range over 54 actual miles. And as you say, even greater things will come, hence a favorable lease. Cheers.
atacama40 (09-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjazz321
Your experience echoes mine. I just acquired the car today and couldn’t be happier. Fast, sporty, luxurious, all elements well designed. Daytona grey pearl exterior, grey alcantara interior. Sport package with the RS wheels, variable suspension, etc. I loved my A7 years ago but this is a major step forward. A true GT with zero emissions. By the way in efficiency mode it used only 38 miles of range over 54 actual miles. And as you say, even greater things will come, hence a favorable lease. Cheers.
Ok this actually made me decide to buy the car. I LOVED my A7, and if this is a big step forward, I am all in.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

You will not regret it. Just went for a nighttime drive in the hills. High performance magic carpet ride.
muski (11-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Lease or Buy a GT?