Audi e-Tron GT Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-Tron GT

Use snow cables on summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Use snow cables on summer tires?

This question will show my ignorance, but I'll ask anyway:

My new eTron GT came with "summer" tires, and I live in an area where it never snows. However, I anticipate occasional trips to the nearby more mountainous regions where it might snow a little at least, and it would be great to be prepared. To switch out to M&S tires would of course be a huge hassle and expense, and I'd like to know if putting on snow cables, such as the Z-Chain models, would help me in the unlikely event I need them.

If I do put them on, can I get some benefit by putting them on the front only, as I would do in a gasoline-powered car where the weight is mostly up front, or do I have to install them on all four wheels?

Thank you!
Old 10-23-2021, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Summer tires are not just road conditions but also temperatures. Below 7°C/45°F they would reduce dramatically in performance. They essentially become hockey pucks in cold temps. Below freezing they can be dangerous. Like wearing flip flops to the mountains it can be done but you are not going to have a good time.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks! I haven't had non-M+S tires on my car since I was about 21 (a long time ago), and would think nothing of keeping two extra wheels for my Camaro ready to go!

How things have changed. The cost is very high to keep an extra set of four wheels/tires for maybe 3 trips a year, not to mention the storage space to store them. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and change the current Pirellis out for M+S tires, and leave them on all the time. I wonder how they would perform on the eTron GT? Also wonder if I could get someone to buy the summer tires. Oh well... I see another thread discussing winter tires/wheels - will read it more carefully...
Old 10-23-2021, 05:25 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

The rubber used in summer tires can actually fracture at freezing temps and it is even recommended if the tires see freezing temps at any time even parked in a garage, that you allow them to warm up (above 45ºF) before even moving the car.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

IMO I would burn through the summer tires (probably won't take long with the weight of the e-tron) and take another car for the the 3 winter trips a year and then move over to a good All-Season on your next batch of tires. (You are indeed showing your age referring to them as Mud+Snow tires.)

In typical Audi fashion there might be limited tire types available for the GT for some time. The OE Summer and a couple options and then some Winter Performance tires. I suspect it will be a while before a good UHPAS or any performance A/S in the correct size enters the arena.
In all honesty I only see 2 A/S options both sub-categorized as Grand Touring All-Season. Which may seem apt for the GT but in my experiences the GT tire class will be a noticeable performance step below the Summer Performance tires that comes with the car if that matters to you.

Personally I wish I had this problem but alas no GT for me. However I experience a lot more winter than you apparently. I would either buy the OE Audi winter setup or create my own based on Taycan specs with the only available winter performance tire I see P Zero Winter + OZ Hyper XT HLTs for ~$4200.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for all the info!

For my new eTron GT, I was able to find both All Season and Winter tires in stock at Tire Rack in sizes equal to my Pirelli summer tires, both Continental and Pirelli brands. Since winter is approaching, I'm thinking of just swapping some All Season tires on to the stock wheels, and storing the summer tires until April. Then I'll swap them back and burn through the summer tires.

For the All Season tires, not sure whether to choose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 or the Continental ProContact RX. Both get mixed reviews. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 10-26-2021, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And, interestingly, the e-tron GT owner's manual says that snow chains (of a certain spec, referred to as "fine-mesh snow chains") should be installed only on the rear wheels.