Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

12V battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 AM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It!s in the front against the fire wall. You can barely spot it sitting there.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oh0150

Pos terminal 1/2” SS hose clamp

Pos terminal inside this junction box

Negative terminal with 3/4” clamp as it is slightly larger

Used a quick ‘n dirty connection instead of mounting the ring connectors under the positive and negative terminals. I was concerned that I would inadvertently disconnect the battery and erase some items programmed in the MMI, e.g., garage openers, Amazon Music.
I am a new e-Tron owner. I have read with concern the stories of a dead 12V battery in the e-Tron. This has forced some owners to have the vehicle towed to a dealership. I know that Audi does not want owners to mess with the 12V battery.
At the risk of reviving an old thread, I wonder if I might ask a few questions:
For your hardwired trickle charger set up, how long are those leads, and where do they end? How are they stowed when not in use?
could this set up be used to “jump” the 12V battery safely? Either with jumper cables or with a battery jump system? Does anyone know if this is safe?
I was looking at getting something like this to leave 8n the vehicle for just such an emergency:
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/products/the-zeus
Old 11-07-2021, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for surfacing an older post! Does anyone have a picture and location of the actual 12v battery? The Audi owner's manual seems purposefully vague about the location of the battery. Perhaps Audi is trying to help their dealers make a profit by requiring all of us to go back to the dealers?
Old 11-07-2021, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Item No. 4:

Old 11-08-2021, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyUte
I am a new e-Tron owner. I have read with concern the stories of a dead 12V battery in the e-Tron. This has forced some owners to have the vehicle towed to a dealership. I know that Audi does not want owners to mess with the 12V battery.
At the risk of reviving an old thread, I wonder if I might ask a few questions:
For your hardwired trickle charger set up, how long are those leads, and where do they end? How are they stowed when not in use?
could this set up be used to “jump” the 12V battery safely? Either with jumper cables or with a battery jump system? Does anyone know if this is safe?
I was looking at getting something like this to leave 8n the vehicle for just such an emergency:
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/products/the-zeus
I would NOT consider jump starting the car. You could harm the system. I garage my car (at 50% SoC) for 2 to 3 months at a time without any battery loss for the drive battery. I use a "Battery Tender" that is a trickle charger that maintains the 12v battery. They sell accessories for a short quick connect (18" stays under the hood) and a 25' extension cord that clips on when I need to charge. See below.

The following users liked this post:
SonnyUte (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
Item No. 4:

THANK YOU!!!

Do you also have the key that identifies the rest of the numbered parts?
Old 11-08-2021, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by John (aka Daddio)
I would NOT consider jump starting the car. You could harm the system. I garage my car (at 50% SoC) for 2 to 3 months at a time without any battery loss for the drive battery. I use a "Battery Tender" that is a trickle charger that maintains the 12v battery. They sell accessories for a short quick connect (18" stays under the hood) and a 25' extension cord that clips on when I need to charge. See below.
Are there different models or modes for these trickle chargers? The E-tron has an AGM battery which is charged differently (not sure what the difference is but my 12V battery charger I use for my other cars has a dedicated mode for AGM batteries and I read somewhere that the battery can get damaged if one does not use that mode).
Old 11-08-2021, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
THANK YOU!!!

Do you also have the key that identifies the rest of the numbered parts?
1 - Air quality sensor -G238-
q Models with air conditioner system 9AK
1 - External air quality and air humidity sensor -G935-
q Models with air conditioner system 9AQ
2 - Coolant shortage indicator sender -G32-
3 - Battery monitor control unit -J367-
4 - Battery -A-
5 - ABS control unit -J104-
6 - High voltage heater 2 (PTC) control unit -J1238-
7 - Thermal management control unit -J1024-
8 - ABS control unit 2 -J1242-
9 - Coolant changeover valve 4 -N635-
10 - Charging unit 2 for high-voltage battery -AX5-
11 - Front airbag crash sensor for front passenger side -G284-
12 - Coolant changeover valve 2 -N633-
13 - Thermal management coolant pump 4 -V620-
14 - Control unit for air conditioner compressor -J842-
SDakota (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasW
Are there different models or modes for these trickle chargers? The E-tron has an AGM battery which is charged differently (not sure what the difference is but my 12V battery charger I use for my other cars has a dedicated mode for AGM batteries and I read somewhere that the battery can get damaged if one does not use that mode).

The following quote is from the Specification Sheet link on the Amazon page for the Battery Tender Plus 1.25A 12V model:
Amazon Amazon

"In recent years, the Sealed, GRT (Gas Recombinant Technology), AGM (Absorbed Glass Matte), Lead-Acid battery has enjoyed widespread acceptance in a variety of applications traditionally dominated by flooded battery technology. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger circuitry provides a superior configuration to accommodate the more demanding recharge requirements of this superior battery technology. Although the original Battery Tender battery charger will recharge AGM batteries, the full recharge time is longer than with the Battery Tender Plus battery charger. This is because of the different implementation of the absorption charge mode between these two chargers. Those differences are spelled out in detail in other documents on the website. See Utility / Frequently Asked Questions."

The product description for the replacement version of this model also says it is compatible with AGM batteries.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SDakota; 11-09-2021 at 05:13 AM.
John (aka Daddio) (11-09-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My etron 12V battery died in long transportation and despite the dealer instructions to NOT jump start the car (with instructions described above) i did, and it worked. Had the 12V battery replaced soon after and there was no magic to it, just a lot of labor to get into it as it’s well hidden. The obd learning for new battery took 1minute. No reason to take it to the dealer for this, any technician with instructions can do it.

Quick Reply: 12V battery