Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

2019 Prestige vs 2022 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2019 Prestige vs 2022 Premium Plus

I'm trying to decide between a CPO 2019 Prestige (<15k miles) vs a new MY22 Premium Plus. After the $7,500 tax credit, the pricing is roughly the same around $70k since I think I'll be able to find one for MSRP if I compromise on the color. The pros / cons I've thought of are below but I'd love to get the thoughts from others on the forum.

2019 CPO Prestige
  • Obviously it's used, but with a CPO, I'd still get 3.5-4 years of warranty. I anticipate running out of time before I exceed the mileage cap.
  • I'd get the heads up display, soft close doors, rear sun shades, massaging seats, acoustic glass, etc. But in my limited experience test driving the car, I think I'm only going to miss the heads up display which I have on our 2019 Q7 Prestige.
  • I'm hoping that the relative depreciation over the next 4 years will be less than in the new 2022 etron, so it will be a better financial deal when we sell it in 4-5 years.
2022 New Premium Plus
  • New car so you don't need to worry about how a previous owner drove the car
  • It has most of the options I really want
  • Wife is biased towards a new car vs a used car
Old 08-07-2022, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a 2019 Premium Plus and went to a 2021 Prestige. Main reason was I had about 7 issues in the span of 1 year, constantly in the shop. I believe the consensus is there are a lot of problems with 2019's especially prior to 11/19 production dates. You should check the build date on the 2019.

I like a lot of the features with the Prestige, mainly the soft close doors, all leather interior (and nicer seats). But I would go with the 2022 PP over the 2019 CPO. It will be more reliable and trouble free. It stinks when you have to bring it in for service and they give you an ICE loaner. It will also be worth more when you go to sell or trade. It's a 70K car so I would make the wife happy with the new car smell.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 548 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by aabbccbb
I'm trying to decide between a CPO 2019 Prestige (<15k miles) vs a new MY22 Premium Plus. After the $7,500 tax credit, the pricing is roughly the same around $70k since I think I'll be able to find one for MSRP if I compromise on the color. The pros / cons I've thought of are below but I'd love to get the thoughts from others on the forum.

2019 CPO Prestige
  • Obviously it's used, but with a CPO, I'd still get 3.5-4 years of warranty. I anticipate running out of time before I exceed the mileage cap.
  • I'd get the heads up display, soft close doors, rear sun shades, massaging seats, acoustic glass, etc. But in my limited experience test driving the car, I think I'm only going to miss the heads up display which I have on our 2019 Q7 Prestige.
  • I'm hoping that the relative depreciation over the next 4 years will be less than in the new 2022 etron, so it will be a better financial deal when we sell it in 4-5 years.
2022 New Premium Plus
  • New car so you don't need to worry about how a previous owner drove the car
  • It has most of the options I really want
  • Wife is biased towards a new car vs a used car
Well with the 2022 you get about 10 more miles of range. You also get the newest version the the MMI OS along with new Linux based microprocessor (the 2019 has an older version of both software and hardware). If you get the Connect Prime internet subscription, with the 2019 you get Amazon Alexa voice control; that went away in 2021 and 2022. The 2019 uses AT&T for internet connectivity; the 2022 uses Verizon. Do you get ventilated seats in the 2022?--those are great for letting you reduce using AC to blast chill the whole cabin.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

We've owned both a '19 Prestige and a '22 Premium Plus. The '19 had at least 5 "teething" issues which were resolved, and 1 (sunroof leak) which was not. Dare I say that the '22 has been perfect in the 6 months we've owned it. I don't miss the soft close doors, or the passengers memory seat (I hated this feature). Both cars have the ventilated seats which are nice. I do miss the massage seats a bit, and the heads up display would have been nice, but all in all the '22 Prem + is a much better (and quieter) vehicle. IMO get the "22.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 507 Posts

Hard to turn down the Prestige options. I must be the only person on the planet who loves HUD's. The Tesla crowd certainly claims they hate them. I love mine and avoid carplay, just so that I can still use my HUD. I cannot imagine owning a car without one. I am certainly looking for the etron getting the Augmented Reality HUD that the Q4 etron has.

Anyway, what can I say, I think that the options are better on the '19. Acoustic glass, Massaging seats...
Old 08-07-2022, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by macwm
We've owned both a '19 Prestige and a '22 Premium Plus. The '19 had at least 5 "teething" issues which were resolved, and 1 (sunroof leak) which was not. Dare I say that the '22 has been perfect in the 6 months we've owned it. I don't miss the soft close doors, or the passengers memory seat (I hated this feature). Both cars have the ventilated seats which are nice. I do miss the massage seats a bit, and the heads up display would have been nice, but all in all the '22 Prem + is a much better (and quieter) vehicle. IMO get the "22.
Curious why you say a PP is quieter than the Prestige with acoustic glass?
Old 08-07-2022, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SignDoc
Curious why you say a PP is quieter than the Prestige with acoustic glass?
I have no idea, but it definitely is. Same tires and the '22s are NOT even Conti silent.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Well with the 2022 you get about 10 more miles of range. You also get the newest version the the MMI OS along with new Linux based microprocessor (the 2019 has an older version of both software and hardware). If you get the Connect Prime internet subscription, with the 2019 you get Amazon Alexa voice control; that went away in 2021 and 2022. The 2019 uses AT&T for internet connectivity; the 2022 uses Verizon. Do you get ventilated seats in the 2022?--those are great for letting you reduce using AC to blast chill the whole cabin.
2022 PP gets the ventilated front seats. We have them on our Q7 and I actually don't feel that much cooler with them on unless I'm wearing shorts or a thin shirt. Hopefully the e-tron ones are stronger.

I doubt I'll use the car's internet subscription. I use Android Auto 90% of the time right now. I will miss the physical controller in the Q7. I was on vacation for ~3 weeks driving in cars with touchscreens, and it was much more distracting to use them, especially on a bumpy road.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:40 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

I owned a 2019 Premium Plus and traded for a 2021 Prestige. I'm happy I was able to do it. The Prestige interior is so nice and we use the extra features all the time.

This is a tough question. Much as I like the Prestige, I'd probably agree with SignDoc. I'd prefer a 22 PP unless the 2019 car was absolutely perfect and a later build with a VIN ending in 021000 or higher or a build date after November 2019. Also, I would agree that because the cars are 3 model years apart, over the next few years the 2022 car should command a higher price than the 2019 car, regardless.

If it was me, I like the Prestige enough that I would also consider scouring the country a little longer, hoping to find a 2021 Prestige for close to that $70K price point.

Last edited by mtberman; 08-08-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by SignDoc
I had a 2019 Premium Plus and went to a 2021 Prestige. Main reason was I had about 7 issues in the span of 1 year, constantly in the shop. I believe the consensus is there are a lot of problems with 2019's especially prior to 11/19 production dates. You should check the build date on the 2019.

I like a lot of the features with the Prestige, mainly the soft close doors, all leather interior (and nicer seats). But I would go with the 2022 PP over the 2019 CPO. It will be more reliable and trouble free. It stinks when you have to bring it in for service and they give you an ICE loaner. It will also be worth more when you go to sell or trade. It's a 70K car so I would make the wife happy with the new car smell.
fairly safe to say that by 2022, any issues early e-trons may have had would have long since been resolved by now via service visits

Quick Reply: 2019 Prestige vs 2022 Premium Plus