Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

2021 e-tron dead Battery 3rd time since June 21

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by jimpdx
Update on my situation. I had Audi Roadside tow my eTron to Portland service center yesterday morning. They are now telling me that the "parking lock actuator" has failed (1,767 total miles, have had the car for 3 months). And of course you can't get that part separate from the transmission (which is backordered from Germany). I asked how this could at all be related to a dead 12V battery and they claim that the failing actuator kept the vehicle awake and drained the battery. It was an odd situation, when we first got power to the 12V battery you could immediately hear the loud HUM coming from the car as if it was in Drive or Reverse. But ironically you could not shift it out of Neutral! So I guess I am in for more weeks of waiting for service...
Sorry to hear about this. Is this at Beaverton Audi? I have my 2019 SUV serviced there and have found the dealearship to be pretty much on top of the e-tron introduction (there are certain exceptions, though). An EV "failure" pattern is much more like your microwave oven, than like your old ICE. Electronic parts tend to fail early and then all is well; ICE failures have many more drawn out mechanical failures. In my first 3 months of ownership leased in Dec 2019), I had the "rear tail light assembly" and the "steering wheel module" replaced. Since then, knock on wood, I have only had to deal with that incredibly flaky MyAudi app.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Sorry to hear about this. Is this at Beaverton Audi? I have my 2019 SUV serviced there and have found the dealearship to be pretty much on top of the e-tron introduction (there are certain exceptions, though). An EV "failure" pattern is much more like your microwave oven, than like your old ICE. Electronic parts tend to fail early and then all is well; ICE failures have many more drawn out mechanical failures. In my first 3 months of ownership leased in Dec 2019), I had the "rear tail light assembly" and the "steering wheel module" replaced. Since then, knock on wood, I have only had to deal with that incredibly flaky MyAudi app.
@JNealCox I bought my 21 Prestige Sportback in June at Wilsonville. Was in body shop the first three weeks as window was shattered coming off the delivery truck, had to replace windshield, some side body work. So I didn't take delivery until 3 weeks into the lease. The day I drove it home had three errors because presumably they installed sensors wrong or didn't calibrate. Two weeks at the Audi PDX Service Center (owned by Beaverton dealer) solved that earlier this month. Then one week after we got it back from them, the 12V battery died, they had to replace the parking actuator (see errors and photos above). Got it back yesterday so this repair was only a week! But current tally is six weeks in service over first four months. I'm hoping these are birthing issues, we will see. Oh and they had to break some part installing the new actuator so it is going back again once that part arrives! Looking forward to logging a few miles in it this (sunny) weekend without problems.

Last edited by jimpdx; 10-30-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Wrong month
Old 10-30-2021, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jimpdx
@JNealCox I bought my 21 Prestige Sportback in June at Wilsonville. Was in body shop the first three weeks as window was shattered coming off the delivery truck, had to replace windshield, some side body work. So I didn't take delivery until 3 weeks into the lease. The day I drove it home had three errors because presumably they installed sensors wrong or didn't calibrate. Two weeks at the Audi PDX Service Center (owned by Beaverton dealer) solved that earlier this month. Then one week after we got it back from them, the 12V battery died, they had to replace the parking actuator (see errors and photos above). Got it back yesterday so this repair was only a week! But current tally is six weeks in service over first four months. I'm hoping these are birthing issues, we will see. Oh and they had to break some part installing the new actuator so it is going back again once that part arrives! Looking forward to logging a few miles in it this (sunny) weekend without problems.
Was your experience with Beaverton Audi better? I've had nothing but problems when trying out my "free" service with Audi Wilsonville where I purchased my car.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 401 Posts

I've been really satisfied with the work I've had done at Audi Beaverton Service, although even there I find I need to inquire a little more deeply to make sure I'm talking to someone who really knows EV's. I've been a customer there since 1996.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
Was your experience with Beaverton Audi better? I've had nothing but problems when trying out my "free" service with Audi Wilsonville where I purchased my car.
@PNW Etron well I haven't been out to Beaverton yet, but they do own the service center out near PDX (sometimes called "Sunset Imports") and the loaners all say "Audi Beaverton". They have been great to work with. Driving from Vancouver to Wilsonville is a joke at any time of the business day, so getting service closer to me is awesome.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Does your 2021 suffer from the constantly repeating "charging complete " notifications some get when setting the Maximum SOC to 80%? If so that could drain your 12v battery.
I have the same issue, the car drains 12v battery when connected to charger. My car and wallbox is controlled to charge when the electricityprice is on the lowest during night.
I get spammed with messages all night with finished charging. Anyone have a clue what is wrong?
Old 11-03-2021, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NiZo
I have the same issue, the car drains 12v battery when connected to charger. My car and wallbox is controlled to charge when the electricityprice is on the lowest during night.
I get spammed with messages all night with finished charging. Anyone have a clue what is wrong?
I know there are many threads about this dreaded multiple charge complete notifications out there (I only saw it one day in the first week of having my car and never since). And there is a fix for it, hopefully someone will share the appropriate links. It may be a fix that only the service shop can provide or install.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NiZo
@NiZo this thread should answer your question: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25576790
Old 12-02-2021, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeTron
To say frustrated is an understatement but I bought the Etron earlier on this past summer, June to be exact and was super excited.
Episode 1. July 4th weekend, I was getting it towed because I woke up one Saturday and car was dead. According to the service department, I left ignition on over 59 mins..... I don't see how that happened but apparently I left things on. I was surprised that it had no failover of any sort, or I guess dead battery was the failover. Anyway, car fixed and all is well with the world.
Episode 2. July 20th, Tuesday morning same ****, this time around I knew that the car was not on, I have reminders ro check car at night even. I called closest dealer and tried to see if there is a special Audi Roadside team who specializes in Etron Batteries because towing the car out of my garage was not fun first time around. He advised me to have the Roadside jump the 12v battery and then bring the car....well, we did that and a few malfunction errors came up and car was stuck in neutral and eventually had to replace the parking lock actuator I think and once again, all is well with the world.
Episode 3. Tonight, attempted to go grab my dinner and once again, car is dead. So this time around here is the flow of events.
1. Drove car last on Sunday, plugged into charger evening.
2. Monday, travelled for business forgot to unplug charger, came back yesterday late in the evening, didn't need to drive so didn't check o the car.
3. Tonight needed to go up dinner, tried to access car, car is dead.
So before I start the E-Trons are nothing but an expensive POS EV, can someone please help me understand if
1. Leaving the charger on all week could have drained the 12v battery?
2. I have to get it towed again in the morning but is it possible to have a ETRON SME just check the car out on site since AUDI prohibits doing anything with the car? Isn't that something Audi should try to be committed to? This may be asking for a Unicorn but 🤷🏾‍♀️
3. Is anyone else experiencing these types of battery related issues 😫 because for the price of this car, this is not life. I am over it.

Help.
oh wow, that sucks. So my car is at the dealer now, came back from a 3-day thanksgiving visit. My car had been 80% charged so I unplugged and left it there in the locked garage. Came back and it was definitely lagging (had trouble trying to open the trunk) so I plugged it in to charge some more, next day it was totally dead. They are replacing the 12-volt battery, sure hope that helps otherwise I think its back to the lexus or bmw for me.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So these discussions have me a bit concerned. I will be leaving my etron at the airport for 4 days. I would hate to return to a dead vehicle because the 12v battery is dead. The e-torn will not be attached to a charger and will be locked, so I assume the battery will be fine.
For insurance, I was thinking about throwing a trickle charger into the car and a Honda battery-powered emergency power supply. It has a 110v AC output which should power the trickle charger without difficulty.
Has anyone ever tried anything like that before?

Quick Reply: 2021 e-tron dead Battery 3rd time since June 21