Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

21 e-tron dead in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 21 e-tron dead in parking lot

Just walked out to my new e-tron, less than a month old, hazard lights were flashing for some reason. I unplugged it from the charger, the door closed, I got in, tried to power on, it asked me to put the back of my key on the receiver, then everything just went dead. Can't turn anything on, can't lock it, cant turn hazards on, nothing. Only thing I'm seeing is the tail lights occasionally turn on briefly. Called roadside, tow truck 70 min away...
Old 06-22-2021, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Well that sucks.

Please update once you learn what happened.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rshelton
Just walked out to my new e-tron, less than a month old, hazard lights were flashing for some reason. I unplugged it from the charger, the door closed, I got in, tried to power on, it asked me to put the back of my key on the receiver, then everything just went dead. Can't turn anything on, can't lock it, cant turn hazards on, nothing. Only thing I'm seeing is the tail lights occasionally turn on briefly. Called roadside, tow truck 70 min away...
Did you try placing the keyfob in the space at the front of the cup holder? If the battery in the keyfob is weak (or signal being blocked from sensor), eTron won't be able to start.

Did you try holding down the volume button for 10 seconds to see if MMI will reboot?

Are the interior dome lights active when you open the door? Hazard lights work? If not- may be your 12V battery is dead.

Good luck- I'd also order an OBD Eleven Pro Next Gen tool to see what's going on for the future.
The following users liked this post:
Sourdough Josh (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by calbear92
Did you try placing the keyfob in the space at the front of the cup holder? If the battery in the keyfob is weak (or signal being blocked from sensor), eTron won't be able to start.

Did you try holding down the volume button for 10 seconds to see if MMI will reboot?

Are the interior dome lights active when you open the door? Hazard lights work? If not- may be your 12V battery is dead.

Good luck- I'd also order an OBD Eleven Pro Next Gen tool to see what's going on for the future.
Yeah, she's dead dead. No lights come on, hazards do not come on but the the button will flash when it's pressed. Can't lock the doors, even using the button on the door. I have an OBDeleven, figured it wouldn't work now but since I'm waiting I'll go plug it in and try it.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Good points -- the 12v battery is needed to get the car started and power the controller for the main battery, so like an ICE vehicle will prevent startup.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sourdough Josh
Good points -- the 12v battery is needed to get the car started and power the controller for the main battery, so like an ICE vehicle will prevent startup.
Cabin lights are dead, OBDeleven lights up when I plug it on but wont connect, says to make sure ignition is on
Old 06-22-2021, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Parking garage entrance too narrow for the dollies so the first tow truck driver left, Audi working on finding someone else now.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

Parking garage entrance too narrow for the dollies so the first tow truck driver left, Audi working on finding someone else now.
That sucks. The tow truck drivers often have a mobile jump starter with them. Maybe you can get them to give that a try even if they cannot get to the car with their truck.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

They found a tow company that claims to have the equipment to get it out of the garage but they aren't available till morning. Audi offered me them or they could keep calling around. I wanted to get home so I asked them for a ride home and I'd take the 0800 tow. They set up a Lyft for me and got me home. I'll update more tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

They found a tow company that claims to have the equipment to get it out of the garage but they aren't available till morning. Audi offered me them or they could keep calling around. I wanted to get home so I asked them for a ride home and I'd take the 0800 tow. They set up a Lyft for me and got me home. I'll update more tomorrow.
It seems the more electrical stuff they cram into our cars the more problems. Like 2 days ago in Vegas, while navigating back to the hotel in henderson, the MMI goes black while I'm on an unfamilar busy highway interchange. gone are the days when if your car wouldn't crank over, you got a jump start and as long as the alternator worked u could drive at least as far as the next place you shut the car off (assuming a bad battery). Even if u had a bad alternator, they weren't that hard to swap out beside the road. Now the whole car can be "dead" as a doornail and there's nothing one can do until it's revived at a dealer. this damn idea of going fully electric by 2035 is making me very nervous.

Quick Reply: 21 e-tron dead in parking lot