Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Audi Q8 e-tron review (US OOS review) finally

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 686 Likes on 497 Posts
Default Audi Q8 e-tron review (US OOS review) finally

So it is the EXACT same car with 20 percent more battery (106kW useable instead of 86kW).

BUT...less cobalt so none of the great Fat e-tron charge performance both normal and the nice cold weather charging performance. Also with the no cobalt, e-tron MIGHT finally miss not having an enroute pre conditioning capacity.

i am really looking forward to hearing what our board members have to say but I'll pass and see if the PPE e-tron's finally make an evolutionary update.
The following 3 users liked this post by A4 Phil:
ChrisBWJ (05-17-2023), dcpmark (05-17-2023), Senna777 (06-14-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice car, but I'm a hard pass given that it costs 15k more than my 2022 Chronos did, and it's not much of an upgrade. I would consider the Q8e if I didn't already own an EV, but I am also going to wait for the PPE platform, and even then I will most likely pass on the first model year. That probably pushes me out to at least the 2026 MY which is fine since my 2022 won't be out of warranty until then anyway.

My only question at this point is will the 2025 MY be another minor refresh of the current platform, or is Audi about to make an evolutionary jump?
Old 05-17-2023, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by coldrain85
My only question at this point is will the 2025 MY be another minor refresh of the current platform, or is Audi about to make an evolutionary jump?
'25 will be minor software tweaks like from the' 19 to '20 for example. They have already said that the Q8 e-tron will not get CARIAD because of MMI limitations. Nothing really new on the Q8 e-tron life cycle until it's ultimate transition to PPE which is years away.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

picked up my '24 Q8 etron Prestige today. For mixed driving, adding the miles remaining on the GOM with the miles driven showed a range of 270 miles. On the highway @ 75MPH the consumption is 396 Wh/mi; so 265 miles of range on the highway. Around town where there is a lot of regen and the consumption averages 350 Wh/mi, the range might approach 300 miles.The Hankook 265/45 21' tires are increadably quiet.

The following 5 users liked this post by Bill33525:
bollweevils (05-18-2023), MystryMan (05-19-2023), noimfull (05-21-2023), sirfrancis (06-03-2023), thebishman (05-18-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 02:02 PM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

There almost seems to be a misconception that the e-tron is going away “soon”. It is not. I think people mix it up with the Q6, which really WILL be a new car.

As has been posted many times, it is the EXACT same car with a larger battery. Other differences come down to exterior/trim updates, better aero, better rear motor, revised steering, a self parking option, and… I think that’s about it. Fat e-tron with the big battery it always needed.

You are right, the car is objectively awesome (see the test results) and is not going away. It is a popular, good-selling, global halo car for Audi. And they need to sell a lot to cover the development costs. The factory is state of the art, dedicated to e-tron production, and will keep cranking them out. To do otherwise when it is selling ell would be nonsense. Agreed, there will be new colors and packages in 2025 and 2026.

I’m always a little skeptical of OOS but the fact that they own an e-tron says all you need about the car’s ability to win over skeptics.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

"picked up my '24 Q8 etron Prestige today. For mixed driving, adding the miles remaining on the GOM with the miles driven showed a range of 270 miles. On the highway @ 75MPH the consumption is 396 Wh/mi; so 265 miles of range on the highway. Around town where there is a lot of regen and the consumption averages 350 Wh/mi, the range might approach 300 miles.The Hankook 265/45 21' tires are increadably quiet."

Looks great! What body color is that? My Dealer today confirmed that my Q8 Sportback is on the ship and should arrive in Portland, OR, mid-June.

Last edited by JNealCox; 05-17-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mtberman
I’m always a little skeptical of OOS but the fact that they own an e-tron says all you need about the car’s ability to win over skeptics.
Out of Spec uses the same lines EVERY video. Cars need pre conditioning, one pedal driving, and 200 kW charging. They say this ALL the time, and yet, the car they keep is a 2019 e-tron they bought used. They have spent several episodes talking about its flaws, but despite that they say for some unknown reason it has magic sauce and is simply the best EV to drive daily.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Looks great! What body color is that?
Exterior: Magnet Gray; Interior: Black

My first Grey car ever. My SA said other customers were interested in that color as well. I didn't order the color, just took one of the first two Prestige Q8s off the boat.

The extra range will help as we live far from everything here in Central Florida.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
There almost seems to be a misconception that the e-tron is going away “soon”. It is not. I think people mix it up with the Q6, which really WILL be a new car.

As has been posted many times, it is the EXACT same car with a larger battery. Other differences come down to exterior/trim updates, better aero, better rear motor, revised steering, a self parking option, and… I think that’s about it. Fat e-tron with the big battery it always needed.

You are right, the car is objectively awesome (see the test results) and is not going away. It is a popular, good-selling, global halo car for Audi. And they need to sell a lot to cover the development costs. The factory is state of the art, dedicated to e-tron production, and will keep cranking them out. To do otherwise when it is selling ell would be nonsense. Agreed, there will be new colors and packages in 2025 and 2026.

What I don't like about 6+ years of refreshes is that items that were standard at one point ultimately become optional, and the cost jumps even though it's basically the same vehicle. Most manufacturers do this. The AC charging port is no longer standard with the 2024. The black optic package is no longer standard in the Prestige/Chronos trim. What else? As I mentioned previously, I would have to pay almost another 15k to get a 2024 with the same options as my 2022. Sure, the 2024 gets 50-60 more miles of range, but that doesn't change my life in any way. I will still have to stop and charge along the way if I take the car on one of my regular day trips to Point Reyes, or to visit the in-laws in the SF Bay Area. If I have a legit 300 mile EV I will never have to use a public charger, and never having to use a public charger is a goal of mine.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
Exterior: Magnet Gray; Interior: Black

My first Grey car ever. My SA said other customers were interested in that color as well. I didn't order the color, just took one of the first two Prestige Q8s off the boat.

The extra range will help as we live far from everything here in Central Florida.
Wow! That's the Magnet Gray? It looks a lot lighter than in the official pictures.

Quick Reply: Audi Q8 e-tron review (US OOS review) finally