Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Cable/snow chain recs for 21"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Cable/snow chain recs for 21"?

So I got the Black Optic package when I ordered my car with the 265/45 R21 all-season tires. I do see they're M&S rated, but was looking at having some cable chains on hand for those times when that's not good enough. However I'm struggling to find any that fit this particular size wheel, especially while meeting all the additional limitations for being low profile, not damaging the car or rims, etc...

Anyone had any luck and can point me to a specific product that will work? TIA

Edit: I don't go up to the mountains enough to warrant a dedicated snow tire investment, and 9 times out of 10 the roads have already been plowed and cleared anyway. I just want some sort of emergency backup for rare cases where I'm caught in an active storm and need a little extra safety to get to the cabin.

Last edited by Sourdough Josh; 07-02-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added clarification
Old 07-05-2021, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sourdough Josh
So I got the Black Optic package when I ordered my car with the 265/45 R21 all-season tires. I do see they're M&S rated, but was looking at having some cable chains on hand for those times when that's not good enough. However I'm struggling to find any that fit this particular size wheel, especially while meeting all the additional limitations for being low profile, not damaging the car or rims, etc...

Anyone had any luck and can point me to a specific product that will work? TIA

Edit: I don't go up to the mountains enough to warrant a dedicated snow tire investment, and 9 times out of 10 the roads have already been plowed and cleared anyway. I just want some sort of emergency backup for rare cases where I'm caught in an active storm and need a little extra safety to get to the cabin.
I think I've read where Audi does not recommend the use of Chains, etc with the E-tron.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by b-tron
I think I've read where Audi does not recommend the use of Chains, etc with the E-tron.
Audi only recommends snow chain on 19" wheel for e-tron.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

California traction law allows "traction devices" in lieu of chains on passenger cars, but doesn't specify acceptable products.
https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...chain-controls

Colorado allows "alternative traction devices" and helpfully identifies acceptable products (AutoSocks and Titan Tire Socks in addition to cables).
https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/tractionlaw

I have test-fit AutoSocks to a couple of vehicles (not an e-tron), and they fit close enough to the tire that they shouldn't damage anything on vehicles with tight clearances. They are also soft enough that putting them over low-profile tires shouldn't damage the wheels (unlike the fasteners on most chains). I've never used them, but reviews seem to be good.

Last edited by SDakota; 07-06-2021 at 05:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sourdough Josh (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SDakota
California traction law allows "traction devices" in lieu of chains on passenger cars, but doesn't specify acceptable products.
https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...chain-controls

Colorado allows "alternative traction devices" and helpfully identifies acceptable products (AutoSocks and Titan Tire Socks in addition to cables).
https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/tractionlaw

I have test-fit AutoSocks to a couple of vehicles (not an e-tron), and they fit close enough to the tire that they shouldn't damage anything on vehicles with tight clearances. They are also soft enough that putting them over low-profile tires shouldn't damage the wheels (unlike the fasteners on most chains). I've never used them, but reviews seem to be good.

Thanks. Yeah, that's where I keep going too.

I'm a bit annoyed at the whole thing with Audi not officially recommending any sort of traction device on the 21s when the two sale options here in the US are 20" with summer tires or 21" with M&S tires!