Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Central locking malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Central locking malfunction

I have a MY19 and this is the first of this error. I got this error when finished a drive and turned the car off. I could not lock my car. I got out and touched the door handle area and it would not lock. It would just blink the yellow lights on the mirror, but the inside lights were on and the cockpit was on with the error. I tried using the buttons on the key and that didn’t work. I tried turning the car on and off again, but that didn’t work. The manual said to basically manually lock each door and take it to the dealer (page 32-33).

I tried to manually lock the passenger door and the two rear doors, but the manual locking was weird. Basically you have to pull out a rubber stopper on the door and insert the mechanical key and turn left or right, depending on the door. The key would only go in like a quarter inch and the turn was only about 30 degrees. The manual says that if locked, you cannot open the door from the outside, but that never worked and I was able to open the door so not sure how that is supposed to work.

At the end, I went to the driver door to remove the cover and manually lock that one, and then as I happened to touch the sensor on the door handle, everything locked. I was then able to unlock and lock as usual……. Not sure what’s happening here. I have gotten errors in the past for various things when the weather is not clear (ACC, presence, traffic sign, etc). Not sure if this has to do with the steering column errors people are reporting.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 540 Likes on 401 Posts

I have not had this problem, but have encountered various bugs that go away away after the car sits for awhile. It takes some time for the car to fully shutdown, and I think, once it does, a fresh reboot of the car is what clears up the problem.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Yesterday took MY'21 Pestige through the car wash. They provide drying towels and so opended all the doors, tailgate and frunk to dry and clean the insides of each door. I've done this routine a few times. Afterwards started seeing Central Locking Malfunction each time the car was started and a yellow car ICON in the middle bottom row of the dash display. Today we were out and still seeing the alert but able to lock and unlock the car. Sometimes the car would not chirp when locked although the mirrors turned in to the body and the car was locked. At our last shopping stop I opened/shut all the doors singlely and locked the car using the door handle on the back passenger side of the car. Doing that cleared the Central Locking alert and the yellow ICON on the bottom of the dash. Car is a year and half old with 17K miles on the clock. This is the first software bug for this car.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Did you try re-booting the MMI as a first step?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Did you try re-booting the MMI as a first step?
Yes, didn't help