Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

A concerned potential E-tron buyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV
I'm a long term EV driver, and I suspect I understand why the like for the eTron. EVs are just so smooth, responsive, quiet and fun to drive. Expect your face to hurt for a while due to the usual case of "EV grin". However, first I'll try to talk you out of an electric if you don't "fit the profile" of someone that will be long term happy in an electric car.

1) Do you have home charging available? Ideal case would be a 50 Amp outlet already installed in your garage, a good case would the breaker box is a few feet away from where the car is parked. Older house you might want to chat with an electrician before you buy, you want a "NEMA 14-50" installed. Historic house with only on-street parking would be a reason not to buy, unless you have reliable and plentiful workplace charging or something similar.

2) Are your daily range needs compatible with the car's no-worries range? Take the EPA range number and divide by about two. Think about the worst day you can imagine, fasting blood draw, meet someone for breakfast, commute, drive to lunch, back to work, to home, to shopping, dinner, etc. Use a map website to add up the miles. If the result of the first is greater than the second, then you never every have to even think about range on a daily basis. You will have range anxiety at first, everyone does, but after a day or two like that you will realize you don't need to be anxious, or worried, or even think about range on a daily basis. If your worst case day is a little beyond the no-worries range, but the typical day isn't, then you might want to see if there is charging at some of the stops. If you are driving more than the no-worries range on a typical day, I'm going to suggest you might want to consider something else.

3) Are most of your miles local? Home charging is so much nicer than gas stations. Finding charging on the road can be less pleasant. Charging stations are less reliable that we would like, are slower than gas stations, and might not be where you want them, and you will need to stop more often. If the majority of your charging is at home, you will like it better. If lots of road miles, I'm going to suggest you might want to consider something else.

Trips can be somewhat different as you must stop for charging. Somewhat slower than driving straight through with a gas car. Depending on where you want to go, there might be good charging, or there might not. I5 from Canada to Mexico is pretty good. South Dakota and Wyoming is very empty. It's possible to go almost everywhere if you are willing to take a lot more time to get there, but you might be charging for hours at RV parks and such. I suggest playing with ABRP for the trips you might want to take. See the following examples:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...0-7dff7501c7c4

I do not recommend this trip, unless you like adventure:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...8-9f53d5cd8d78

Couple of notes on ABRP: 1) estimated cost is the "no contract" price. You get 100kWh with the car, and once that is gone if do you take enough long trips you might want charging plans which will lower the cost. 2) Trips longer than a day you would prefer to get a hotel with charging stations.
this was extremely helpful, thank you. One thing I should note, we do not have a garage, just a driveway. I can install the chargers on the side of the house. Are there any potential drawbacks to this? Thank you!
Old 07-24-2020, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 691 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Fp90
this was extremely helpful, thank you. One thing I should note, we do not have a garage, just a driveway. I can install the chargers on the side of the house. Are there any potential drawbacks to this? Thank you!
Driveway charger installation is fine.

I hate to not recommend an EV to non driveway/garage owners, but it does add a huge hurdle to your EV experience. This is why I laugh at the Tesla crowd who say that Superchargers are only for road trippers. What about those people who do not own a garage. Of course they should be able to use Superchargers. Anyway, rant hat off. You will have zero issues in your driveway. Buy the ChargePoint over the JuiceBox.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

I would like to second the comment about driveway charging. That should work just fine. Just make sure you have hookups that are all waterproof, i.e. the outlet and the charger itself. I would probably not use the EVSE that comes with the car for outdoor charging on a permanent basis (even though it is supposedly waterproof).

As for the issues with the E-tron, I had mine at the dealer a few times. But really essential was only one of those visits to fix the rear light bar and license plate light. All the other ones were cosmetic, such as squeaky brakes and software updates (and a rim that got messed up in the car wash). I would not diss the car for that and would buy again. As others have pointed out, an EV just has the better drive train if the range works for you. Every time I go back to one of my gas cars I am reminded of how rough they actually are (and it is not because those are not nice cars).
Old 07-25-2020, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Fp90
One thing I should note, we do not have a garage, just a driveway. I can install the chargers on the side of the house. Are there any potential drawbacks to this? Thank you!
If you use the charging cable comes with the car, the outlet needs to be covered, and I'd suggest bolting the cable to the wall so it doesn't walk away, and locking the outlet cover as well.

This means you don't have a portable charging cable that is easy to put in the car, which will only matter if you might need it on the road. Like at some RV park or hotel with 50 Amp RV plug. If this matters to you, you can either get a hardwired EVSE for home, or a charging cable for the road. Advantages to both, ask if this applies.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

May want to consider a motion sensor light and security camera over the charger box.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

You can password protect a lot of them.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jskcowboy
I just got my E-Tron few weeks ago and I"m enjoying my experience so far. One has to assume some risk when owning a car. My choices came down to Model X or E-Tron. I chose E-Tron because long range wasn't important factor and E-Tron was much more luxurious compared to the model X.
Same here. Initially was looking at the Model X and loved the range of it. But then I went to the Audi dealership and it was night and day a better experience. I have had absolutely no issues with the operation - but I have only owned the car for about 10 days now. Still - I love it. Just had a higher voltage plug installed and now if I need to do a full charge, I can do it overnight.

My advice is - drive both cars and see which you like the best from the experience. They all have some quirks and they all have some risks in ownership. But overall you want to just be driving the car 6 months, 2 years from now and say “I am happy that I chose this one...”. For me, the model X had some issues with the paint, longevity of the parts/components, and those doors in a New England winter. I don’t have those concerns with an Audi. The only real concern for me is 200 miles to a charge. But I rarely drive anywhere further than 40-50 miles in a day. To the extent I need to go longer, there are so many chargers around that if I really need to juice up, I can.

Absolutely love my Audi and if there were any major kinks - it seems like Audi has worked those out.