Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

"cruise control unavailable"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 688 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Lon_1*
I’ve come across this thread and I’m experiencing the same type of issues. Software update completed. It’s been into the main dealer on 6 occasions. Faults are not weather dependent.

Audi UK now involved but garage want me to replicate the faults with a master tech - pretty impossible given it happens whenever it wants to.

cruise won’t engage, pre-sense tells me it’s limited, it’s braked hard travelling down the road for no reason and I have to travel 200 miles down the motorway and back for work.

i love the car but the stress it’s now causing is beyond imaginable.

currently going through the process to see if I can hand the car back. It takes 8 weeks. Every time I drive it I feel like my life is in danger in case it brakes for no good reason.

anyone know if this is a ‘common’ fault
Very basic question but what level of driver assistance have you selected? The reason I am asking is that if you are using all of the bells and whistles, including the camera based sign reading, the car will slow down abruptly at EVERY speed change or road hazard. It is simply doing its job, but it can be startling driving at 80mph and have the camera spot a road work sign (Where there is no road work occurring) and slow the car from 80 to 45 very quickly. You can turn off sign recognition quite easily though if it is stressing you out.

You really need to get familiar with the driver assistance features. They are many leveled and they take some tweaking if you simply want to drive the car like a conventional car. Look into the predictive cruise assist and the sign recognition.

Check out the Audi Tech video's on the etron. They go in depth on the settings. But you really need to play with them and then drive with them.

2021 Audi e-tron: Technology Tutorials - YouTube

Video 7 might be a good start. Cruise control.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Very basic question but what level of driver assistance have you selected? The reason I am asking is that if you are using all of the bells and whistles, including the camera based sign reading, the car will slow down abruptly at EVERY speed change or road hazard. It is simply doing its job, but it can be startling driving at 80mph and have the camera spot a road work sign (Where there is no road work occurring) and slow the car from 80 to 45 very quickly. You can turn off sign recognition quite easily though if it is stressing you out.

You really need to get familiar with the driver assistance features. They are many leveled and they take some tweaking if you simply want to drive the car like a conventional car. Look into the predictive cruise assist and the sign recognition.

Check out the Audi Tech video's on the etron. They go in depth on the settings. But you really need to play with them and then drive with them.

2021 Audi e-tron: Technology Tutorials - YouTube

Video 7 might be a good start. Cruise control.
I have everything turned on. I look at it as having someone look over my shoulder while I am driving. Even with the ACC on, I still assume that it does not work so I am ready to take over at any point in time. But I hear you, I had it misread a sign in a construction zone and it thought the speed limit was 5 mph instead of 50. So it really slammed on the brakes until I tapped the accelerator to tell it not to bother.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Go into the MMI and turn off Predictive Control > Set Speed Limit. This will stop the car from changing the cruise speed every time it sees a new sign. It was driving me crazy. There's a mountain in western NC where the truck speed limit is 35, and the car limit is 55. It would keep switching to 35 when it saw the truck speed limit sign. With Predictive Control turned off, you are in complete control of the cruise speed.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cid
I have had this issue even since I got my e-tron and have gotten many software updates. The latest one changed how the error is presented. Before I would get the yellow exclamation stating pre-sense error, contact service but now, I don't get any sort of hard error message now, just the "adapative cruise control is unavailable" when I try to activate it.

I kept on stating to my dealer that the problem is with the laser module as scans from OBDEleven would show the Dynamic calibration Limit value exceeded error and that the module is faulty. When I clear calibration error (module faulty error never clears which is expected), everything works fine again until the calibration error comes back. But of course Audi HQ states that only a software update coming in Q4 2021 will solve it....

I find it appalling that Audi thinks that having a feature that you paid for not available for many months is normal. But of course we are in the mercy of the Audi HQ Bosses.

There is a workaround interim solution that I have been using since July (I have seen no reduction of "sensing" or problems so far), but I don't know if the forum users feel about modify settings that might cause issues (ie. use at your own risk situation). I am willing to share it if it is okay.

would you mind sharing what is the work around? Thanks