Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Is the e-Tron the most amazing driving/comfort car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Valid points. Respect your position. Semantics but obviously not ALL people or trips have gas stations 15 minutes away. A trip of 250 miles to visit daughter may not happen every day. This was my point. For every day driving and for this person, range and infrastructure that is in development does not out weigh the benefits of EV driving. Particularly in the manner within the design and engineering of my e-tron.
The following users liked this post:
Pale Rider (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Agree that for many people range may be irrelevant for everyday use, and that metrics other than range are more important to consider.

However, with ICE vehicles, gas tank size is never a consideration as one is rarely more than 15 minutes from a gas station where it takes 2 minutes to re-fuel. Until the infrastructure improves for recharging electric vehicles, there are many for whom electric cars are presently impractical. For example we often visit our daughter, who lives over 250 miles away, and can return the same day and never be concerned about stopping to refuel (600+ miles on a tank offers peace of mind). While our kids are now grown and no longer play sports, those still involved with out of town hockey and soccer tournaments may not yet be ready for electric vehicles. So for some of us, until range and infrastructure improves, range is the only thing holding me back

Again, as you point out: once one determines that an electric vehicle is practical for their needs — range may be the least important factor to consider.
I have a Camry Hybrid which easily goes more than 575 miles on a tank. From my house to Mandalay Bay, Vegas, it is exactly 525 miles. We have plenty of gas left over after making that trip, to drive all over the place, the next day and beyond. However, there are stretches where it is much more than 15 minutes to the next gas station, but with any of my ICE cars, getting refueled before running out has never been a consideration. EXCEPT, the one time when on our way to Vegas we stopped to eat and gas up a Toyota Sienna. Only problem was, after eating, we let the dog out to potty, and then I had my mind on getting back on the freeway, instead of going to the gas station across the street. A while later, the low fuel light came on. Panic time, as we were out in the middle of nowhere. The miles-to-empty read "zero", which only added to our anxiety, a few miles further from when the light came on. I kept slowing down more and more until I'm going about 30 mph slower than the fast traffic to Vegas (Hwy 15). We did luck out though, because about 20-22 miles later, there was a Shell station next to the freeway. Whew! I don't think we will ever again forget to gas up when we stop for gas and food. My "range anxiety" would be off the charts if I drove 100 miles (with a full battery in an e-tron) one way and wasn't going to charge up, at the destination. I'd be too chicken to make that trip in an e-tron, and would opt for my gas guzzling Q7 instead.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
I have a Camry Hybrid which easily goes more than 575 miles on a tank. From my house to Mandalay Bay, Vegas, it is exactly 525 miles. We have plenty of gas left over after making that trip, to drive all over the place, the next day and beyond. However, there are stretches where it is much more than 15 minutes to the next gas station, but with any of my ICE cars, getting refueled before running out has never been a consideration. EXCEPT, the one time when on our way to Vegas we stopped to eat and gas up a Toyota Sienna. Only problem was, after eating, we let the dog out to potty, and then I had my mind on getting back on the freeway, instead of going to the gas station across the street. A while later, the low fuel light came on. Panic time, as we were out in the middle of nowhere. The miles-to-empty read "zero", which only added to our anxiety, a few miles further from when the light came on. I kept slowing down more and more until I'm going about 30 mph slower than the fast traffic to Vegas (Hwy 15). We did luck out though, because about 20-22 miles later, there was a Shell station next to the freeway. Whew! I don't think we will ever again forget to gas up when we stop for gas and food. My "range anxiety" would be off the charts if I drove 100 miles (with a full battery in an e-tron) one way and wasn't going to charge up, at the destination. I'd be too chicken to make that trip in an e-tron, and would opt for my gas guzzling Q7 instead.
Totally agree! We have 2 vehicles in our family...our etron and an ICE vehicle. We take our ICE vehicle on trips farther than 75 miles each way. But the etron serves us for 99% of our trips. The charging infrastructure is improving but it's hard to beat the convenience of filling up an ICE vehicle in 10 mins when we are away from our home charging station. I don't envision getting rid of our ICE vehicle anytime soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by PNW Etron:
Dave_ (04-18-2021), Twit (04-25-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

It is part of the automatic cruise control.
Understood. Features like that have been around for a while; even my 2015 RS7 has decent adaptive cruise control, though I don’t particularly love it’s implementation of lane assist. I don’t think of that feature set as an “autonomous driving” feature, but I understand your perspective.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

However, with ICE vehicles, gas tank size is never a consideration as one is rarely more than 15 minutes from a gas station where it takes 2 minutes to re-fuel.
I think this is spot on. My R8 V10 has a range similar to the e-tron lineup. But I already know where the gas stations are, and so does the nav system. Ironically, or maybe merely coincidentally, this has made it easier for me to commit to the e-tron GT. Around town, it’s a no-brainer. But I can envision planning a cross-country trip later this year, so long as I don’t have any actual drop-dead arrival deadlines.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b-tron
My short answer: Yes!

After 8,500 miles, 10 months of driving through Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring, I've easily concluded that the E-Tron Prestige (SUV) is the best driving/comfort car I've ever owned. In fact, the more I drive it, the more I love this car and hope that Audi leaves it as it is and doesn't push to change too much more except for updating technology and battery potential. People throw out platforms...again, look at the platform whom this car shares:

The next-generation MLB Evo platform is shared amongst the 2018-up 9YA Cayenne, Audi A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, and Q8, e-tron, VW Touareg, Bentley Bentayga, and Lamborghini Urus.

I've owned everything from Corvettes, Camaro's, Mercedes C class, BMW 7 Series, 3 Range Rover HSE's, 2 Range Rover Sports and this first Audi E-Tron. Hands down, the E-Tron leaves me wanting to drive it more - looking for every excuse for a trip in it. From the comfort, pampered, quiet ride no matter what type of road or condition, to the traction in every condition with just the all season Continentals, to the amazing touches of soft close doors, the Autonomous driving, HUD, lighting, roominess, quality of materials, and mostly the fit and finish. (I had a leaking sunroof).

Disappointments? Not many: the B&O Music System only. (and the leaking sunroof).

Range? More than adequate for every day, day trips and occasional long distance. With the 150Kw charging stations now popping up all over, a better stop than a greasy, nasty, gas station.
The value of this car, at this price, is truly amazing.

Highlights?: Comfort, Safety, Traction, Ride, Soft Close Doors, Lighting, Massaging/Cooling/Heating seats, HUD, Autonomous features, MIB System, Quietness, No more gas stations (dirty vs at home), Roominess, Displays, Drive in any condition.

Recommend?: Absolutely. Don't get caught into the comparison of numbers only. Instead, the experience of the car and the feel it gives and grows more of each time you drive it. Truly, the E-Tron SUV Prestige, hands down, wins in almost every category with this driver. (and don't wait to find out what is next/better, etc if you are on the fence or thinking about a new car - this is an amazing car, today and for tomorrow
what are your gripes about the B&O system. One thing I noticed is I can’t really hear the sub very well unless I raise the EQ a few dials
Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey as a '19 Edition One owner I have to say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my etron. I've owned the Prius, Volt, BMW i3, and now the etron so I've been in the EV sphere for a while. I've never been in a Rolls Royce or some other other-worldly expensive rides, but there is no quieter or smoother ride than a fully loaded e-tron. Even the 6,000 pounds helps imbue a smoother ride! On a side note, I recently traded in my wife's BMW i3 for a RAV4 Prime and I feel like I got the best of both ICE & EV worlds. Here's why: my wife would not agree to the swap unless she could drive in dedicated EV mode for her commute. Well the RAV4 Prime comes with a 18kWh battery, so she's getting about 45 miles to a charge, easily enough for her local errands and getting to her office & back. But when the tank's full and the battery is at 100% the thing gets almost 480 miles!!! It's incredible! We can take it on a road trip and not have to worry about charging. But for all things local, it's like she drives a full EV. Even for the loaded version, it's seems bare bones compared to the etron. The toaster screen on the Toyotas are a joke, it's like they never heard of HD screens or something. But there's a reason why the RAV4 is $46K and the e-tron is $89K.... I know the new VW/Audit platforms are lighter and you get extra miles per charge, but have you looked at the specs on the new Q4 etron ? 200 hp. FWD for the base. None of the luxury amenities that the Prestige/Edition One have. Not even a good comparison. Different leagues of their own I say. Can't wait to they start making Q7-size EV in a year or two... of course it'll cost over $100 K!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiroTT
what are your gripes about the B&O system. One thing I noticed is I can’t really hear the sub very well unless I raise the EQ a few dials
B&O is extremely tinny, one dimensional direction & lacks bass/subwoofer oomph no depth, no concert feel)....wish I was hearing/writing differently about it. As I said IMO, it's the one big disappointment and I would have never guessed it. (reminds me of speakers in my 1996 Ford F250 7.3 diesel lol..but true!)
Old 04-19-2021, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by moderntech18976
I know the new VW/Audit platforms are lighter and you get extra miles per charge, but have you looked at the specs on the new Q4 etron ? 200 hp. FWD for the base. None of the luxury amenities that the Prestige/Edition One have. Not even a good comparison. Different leagues of their own I say. Can't wait to they start making Q7-size EV in a year or two... of course it'll cost over $100 K!
That is not a fair comparison. The Q4 e-tron is based on the MEB platform so it is an upscale VW ID4. That's like comparing the Q3 to a Q8. Not even in the same class.

Audi just announced their A6 Etron which will be built on the PPE platform. This is a good preview of the Q6 E-tron which will replace the current E-Tron(Which I think is officially called the E-Tron Quattro).
https://electrek.co/2021/04/19/audi-...-2022-release/
Old 04-19-2021, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmerCaddyAudi
That is not a fair comparison. The Q4 e-tron is based on the MEB platform so it is an upscale VW ID4. That's like comparing the Q3 to a Q8. Not even in the same class.

Audi just announced their A6 Etron which will be built on the PPE platform. This is a good preview of the Q6 E-tron which will replace the current E-Tron(Which I think is officially called the E-Tron Quattro).
https://electrek.co/2021/04/19/audi-...-2022-release/
@Bimmer where do you see or why do you say the A6 etron will replace the current etron suv or sportback? That is not apple's to apple's nor would it make sense...

Quick Reply: Is the e-Tron the most amazing driving/comfort car?