Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Features you didn't know about?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
I seem to recall that you can close the hatch from the driver's seat by pulling up on the rear hatch switch in the door, and holding it for a few seconds. You may even have to hold it the whole time the hatch is closing for "safety" reasons.
Yes, you have to hold it until the hatch is closed entirely. And the car has to be in park I believe.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasW
Yes, you have to hold it until the hatch is closed entirely. And the car has to be in park I believe.
That's the inside button on the driver's side door; I am talking about using the remote control to close the hatch. You can do it, but it only works less than 5 feet from the hatch.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBTK
That's the inside button on the driver's side door; I am talking about using the remote control to close the hatch. You can do it, but it only works less than 5 feet from the hatch.
I know. But skaven81 was referring to the button on the driver's side door for closing the hatch which is why I quoted that post.

Last edited by ThomasW; 08-12-2020 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WildBTK (08-12-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBTK
You can close it remotely only if you are within about 3-5 feet of the hatch. You can open it from much farther. This was not a good design decision by Audi due to the safety ****'s in control there, apparently.
Not really an appropriate term for a highly respected German company given the World’s history.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Not really an appropriate term for a highly respected German company given the World’s history.
The term "safety *****" is well-established in common vernacular. The context -- using it to describe an over-thought design feature of a German company -- was distasteful on my part and was not intended to conflate the two things. Bad choice of words on my part.
thebishman (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks all. The wife will appreciate being able to close the hatch via the door button and remote. I’ve been deployed the entire time the car has been available. For those of you who have looked underneath it, are there good jack and jack stand mounting points? I”ve heard that can get tricky with the underbody of electric vehicles. One of the first projects I would be tackling for the wife would be painting the calipers, which would require removing all four wheels.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Jack spots are fairly easy, right on the outer edge next to each wheel - FYI they are *super* far apart, like 76" or so, only matters for something like a QuickJack. Apparently it's common with all electric cars, the Tesla S is similar, shouldn't matter for individual jack and swapping wheels.

It's weird to look underneath, just a big smooth piece of metal, kind of trippy if you're used to normal cars. I've heard to be careful jacking and make sure not to pick the battery pack by accident, although I do wonder with Audi's reinforcements exactly how strong it is (anybody ever heard a marketing blurb?).
Old 08-13-2020, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Wife wanted me to ask you guys whether you can close the trunk lid from something other than the button on the trunk lid. Drives her nuts on her 4L Q7 that she can’t open AND close it with either the remote or the button on the door.
Does she know along with the kick to open, you can also kick to close? I thought that was neat!
Brooklyn (08-30-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some great features on here I didn't know, especially the shortcutting process !

I discovered that as long as the key is in your pocket, you can open the charging flap on an otherwise locked car, without needing to unlock it. Useful here in the UK as we don't as-standard have keyless (comfort) entry, because of all the car theft that we suffer...

I'm also surprised at just how much extra room is found under the boot (trunk) floor, and in the sides of the boot as well ! A real saver when packing for a family trip away when the luggage just keeps on coming
Old 10-19-2021, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtberman
4. The ability to have the climate control activate upon unlocking the car instead of upon starting the car.
Is there a setting that I need to set to get this? So if I'm within range to unlock with the fob, I can get the A/C to turn on? This would be awesome since I usually fire up the app and enable the climate control remotely. But since the app is so slow and spotty, I'm usually in the driver's seat by the time it takes effect.
EDIT: n/m. Found it later in the thread:
Start A/C after unlocking: page 85, but it's incorrect. The correct sequence is Vehicle > Climate Control > (Thermometer icon) > (Gear icon) > Start A/C after unlocking

On another note, I found that the rear sensors work for (almost?) the entire height of the car, not just the bumpers. I happened to back out of the garage one day and didn't open the garage door until the car was in R. The rear sensors were beeping until the door was all the way up.

Last edited by jofspade; 10-19-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Features you didn't know about?