Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

First e-Tron Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yeamac
Not the same argument. The manufacturer specifically indicates the octane rating.
Not true either. Octane rating is recommended only. One can pump 87 into a car that needs 93. Hence I said it’s the same argument. People do what floats their boats, it’s their vehicle, not mine.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:59 PM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
Not true either. Octane rating is recommended only. One can pump 87 into a car that needs 93. Hence I said it’s the same argument. People do what floats their boats, it’s their vehicle, not mine.
I don't think you understand. There is a difference between willfully ignoring a manufacturer recommendation, with the adverse effects the manufacturer warns will happen (engine ping, rough idling etc in the case of your example of lowering the octane), vs. doing something that makes you feel better but is unnecessary, like the analogy of changing engine oil prematurely.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think you understand. There is a difference between willfully ignoring a manufacturer recommendation, with the adverse effects the manufacturer warns will happen (engine ping, rough idling etc in the case of your example of lowering the octane), vs. doing something that makes you feel better but is unnecessary, like the analogy of changing engine oil prematurely.

The engine will retard timing. The salesman will tell you its ok to pump 87. I hear this all the time. Not something I will do. But it is the same argument. I will shut up now as I don’t think we see eye to eye on this topic.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

So I was browsing eBay the other day and saw a used set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 performance winter tires, with 19" wheels, that have 3,500 miles on them (30K rated tires), for $650. The seller used them on an e-tron that he no longer owns. The tires themselves would cost me over a grand with tax if I bought them new. These are mounted on 19" winter wheels, which again would cost about another grand for the wheels. Long story short, I impulse bought for the reason for the next couple of winters here in Midwest I'm going to need to drive at a specific time each week, regardless of the winter weather, so reconsidered my need for winter tires. (I may not have the luxury to "wait until they clear the roads" like I have in the past). Plus the price was so low besides winter traction benefits it will also add to the length of life for my all-seasons, making this a pretty good move from a financial standpoint.

I have none of the equipment needed to change tires (jack, stands, torque wrench, etc), so will probably end up going to a shop 2x a year to swap the winter/all-season tires. My town has an independent shop. I want to make sure there is nothing unique to the e-tron with the regen brakes or anything that would be different from a typical wheel change. I already know the e-tron does not have individual tire pressure monitors, but does need to have the tire pressure re-calibrated after a change. Anything else unique to the e-tron for a tire swap that I need to be aware of or to make the shop aware of?
There is a tire change setting in the MMI that you should enable so the car will not adjust the air suspension on you while the car is in the air.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:05 PM
Institutionalized Member

Originally Posted by E39Nutz
The engine will retard timing. The salesman will tell you its ok to pump 87. I hear this all the time. Not something I will do. But it is the same argument. I will shut up now as I don’t think we see eye to eye on this topic.
The fact that you're going to listen to what a salesman tells you vs. what the manufacturer states in a manual tells me all I need to know.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:08 PM
Institutionalized Member

Originally Posted by ThomasW
There is a tire change setting in the MMI that you should enable so the car will not adjust the air suspension on you while the car is in the air.
Thanks for that. I have no idea if the shop in my town is familiar with this, so I'll be sure to pass it on.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Long time Kansas driver and we do get quite a bit of snow and ice but I have never got snow tires. The Etron is wonderfully planted on all season tires as its AWD. The only cars that struggle here in winter as the rear drive 2WD vehicle. Those slide all over the place. I'm looking at you BMW. If you have one of those it definitely benefits to getting snow tires. On the Etron the benefit is less than you think.

BTW from my tiny soapbox. Snow tires or not folks need to slow down and drive carefully in winter. No sudden jerks, brakes, acceleration, etc. I often see snow tire drivers drive far too aggressively trusting their tires to save them. This is not a likely thing. drive carefully folks!
Old 01-01-2022, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd chime in here, since this forum led me to the Hartmann wheels and the Blizzaks we just put on our 2021 E-tron Sportback S.

We picked up a set of Hartmann HRS-6 wheels (20") and Blizzak DM-V2 tires just before the relatively historic cold and snow hit us here in the PNW.

We'd already felt the stock 21" tires being a little squirrely in watery and cold conditions; the new rims and tire combo are astoundingly good on this car. The Blizzaks perform really well on streets and roads with 3-4" of unplowed snow, and just fine on plowed roads. The sure-footnesses of the Quattro drive with front and rear motors on our model is better by a fair amount than our 4-wheel drive Ford Expedition with snow tires. Obviously, we couldn't winch our way out of a mishap like we could with the truck; but the E-tron with these tires on it is an incredibly impressive performer in the snow.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by The3rdLaw
Thought I'd chime in here, since this forum led me to the Hartmann wheels and the Blizzaks we just put on our 2021 E-tron Sportback S.

We picked up a set of Hartmann HRS-6 wheels (20") and Blizzak DM-V2 tires just before the relatively historic cold and snow hit us here in the PNW.

We'd already felt the stock 21" tires being a little squirrely in watery and cold conditions; the new rims and tire combo are astoundingly good on this car. The Blizzaks perform really well on streets and roads with 3-4" of unplowed snow, and just fine on plowed roads. The sure-footnesses of the Quattro drive with front and rear motors on our model is better by a fair amount than our 4-wheel drive Ford Expedition with snow tires. Obviously, we couldn't winch our way out of a mishap like we could with the truck; but the E-tron with these tires on it is an incredibly impressive performer in the snow.
How are your studless tires affecting your efficiency. When I put mine on, I got a sense that the car was not coasting as freely and it seems my efficiency has dropped by maybe 0.3 mi/kwh, or so. Kind of hard to tell if it's due to the tires, since you put these tires on when the weather turns cold.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Winter tires vs All season tires videos:

https://youtu.be/EC1E2eDt1J

Quick Reply: First e-Tron Winter