Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Garage door opener

I decided to try synchronizing the car with the garage opener, no problem. Then discovered that to make it work when coming home you have to take your eyes off the road and find & press not one put two icons. What could possibly go wrong? Sure, just come to a stop, double tap, proceed. What's worse, the star button on the steering wheel does not have the garage opener as a shortcut option. So it's back to the remote - from 200 feet away push the button, door is open upon arrival. Overhyped MMI features.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
I decided to try synchronizing the car with the garage opener, no problem. Then discovered that to make it work when coming home you have to take your eyes off the road and find & press not one put two icons. What could possibly go wrong? Sure, just come to a stop, double tap, proceed. What's worse, the star button on the steering wheel does not have the garage opener as a shortcut option. So it's back to the remote - from 200 feet away push the button, door is open upon arrival. Overhyped MMI features.
You can set the steering wheel to open the garage door. The only issue I had was the settings on the steering wheel kept resetting so I gave up configuring things until the software update arrives
Old 02-27-2020, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I just press the homelink icon and the door opens. You can also set the GPS location of the garage and then you will get a pop up on the top screen to open it. You can also set the * button on the steering wheel for the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by SYMAWD:
John (aka Daddio) (02-28-2020), Spideymd (02-28-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't understand. The star button on the wheel is precisely how I open my garage door. It's been a while since I programmed it so I don't remember the exact procedure and my wife has the car right now so I can't check but IIRC it was pretty straightforward. Refer to page 26 of the manual in the meantime and if you still can't make it work let us know and I'll try to go into more detail on how to set it up.

Edit: I wanted to follow up on this. You no doubt found the steering wheel button programming under Vehicle and then Settings and Service in the MMI. But when you got to the screen where you can select how to program the button I'm going to guess that you didn't realize there were two pages. If you scroll down to the bottom of the second page you will find the selection that lets you choose the garage door for the * button.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-27-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I just press the homelink icon and the door opens. You can also set the GPS location of the garage and then you will get a pop up on the top screen to open it. You can also set the * button on the steering wheel for the garage.
Yup exactly what I did and a large pop up comes up on top screen and press it to open garage door. Thought that was a cool feature with the MMI Homelink function. Way easier than the tiny home icon on bottom screen.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
In my case, the icon shelf slides down automatically as I pull into the driveway. By the time I get to the garage (about 100 ft), it’s already closed. This is despite memorizing the GPS position twice, right in front of the garage door.

They need to fix the auto-close timing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tronification:
John (aka Daddio) (02-28-2020), theo1000 (07-12-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Canuck
Yup exactly what I did and a large pop up comes up on top screen and press it to open garage door. Thought that was a cool feature with the MMI Homelink function. Way easier than the tiny home icon on bottom screen.
You can also swipe down from the top of the upper screen to re-open the garage door button “shelf”.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm going to guess that you didn't realize there were two pages. If you scroll down to the bottom of the second page you will find the selection that lets you choose the garage door for the * button.
Thanks Mike.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Mike.
Glad to help.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

In my book the garage door opener system is completely broken.

What's your usual way of leaving home? In my case, get in the car, boot it, I back out of the garage, across the driveway, and I'm on the road. For that I am using the backup camera. Now the GPS enabled garage button overlay is covered by the backup camera. I can close it with the X button, and about 50/50 the close button overlay is already gone. So I followed people's advice and put the garage door function on the * button on the wheel, but half the time the underlying functionality hasn't booted yet (you can see the indeterminate progress bar bouncing on the various displays). So I can either wait on the street until the star button works, looking like a total moron, or I can press the home link menu and press the correct garage door icon.

Why did they remove the buttons from the headliner? Every single option is more complex than a button, and even if you want to save buttons and rely on soft keys, what is the first thing a person is going want to do when they have backed out of the garage, which the car knows I'm doing because I preset the location? There should be one big, easily accessible, visible, "Close garage" button there.

I know most people don't have private garages with a remote opener in Europe, so maybe the German engineer who "designed" this never gets to experience the glorious invention.
The following 2 users liked this post by stanj:
MCR (04-03-2022), njjoe (03-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Garage door opener