Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Home Charging Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 538 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by RMSko
I bought a second charger and my main reason was a longer cable (25’ vs 15’). I just bought one on sale at Amazon (it had great reviews and was about $200 cheaper). I also read somewhere that the Audi charger doesn’t charge as fast, but I have no idea if that is accurate.

BTW - why would someone need to schedule the charging, i.e., why not just charge it as soon as it’s plugged in?
If the ambient temp is really cold, charging right away is best--while the battery is still warm from driving. Otherwise, if you set up a timer so that the charging finishes just before your departure time, the charging process will have warmed the battery up a bit (77F is ideal) so the you will get a few more miles out of it. With the AUDI EVSE, if you also include cabin conditioning in the Timer set up, then the car gets the cabin to ideal conditions, while periodically topping off the battery. With all that, you get extra miles because the battery is conditioned, no energy is wasted warming up or cooling the cabin initially, and your battery is full.

Last edited by JNealCox; 10-31-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The charger I ended up buying is the Emporia 48 Amp charger. It has really great reviews and is $399 at Amazon (which is about 30% less than the ChargePoint charger). They both use WiFi and look like they both do the same thing - the Emporia actually has slightly better reviews than the ChargePoint charger.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

but having two chargers saves me from constantly plugging and unplugging the charger from the wall.
This is another good point. The fewer times you plug and unplug the charger the better. You want that fit to remain very tight especially if you're using a level 2 charger
Old 10-31-2023, 12:55 PM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I've been using the Changepoint charger, wired if i recall correctly at 60A so it's pretty fast

I used to use the car's scheduler to charge in the morning before I leave for work...just so the battery spends less time nearer to full. (routine is 80%)

I don't have variable rate electricity so there's no cost advantage for me....but still, it worked
I also didn't plug it in every night...more like every 2nd to 3rd night

one day though after work, my daughter broke her arm and I had to run her to the hospital all the way down town. I had enough range in that case but it was early on in my EV experience and I had a bit of range anxiety anyway.... Because of that though I now just plug it in without a timer and charge in the evening as soon as I get home. I figure you never know when you'll need to bug-out
Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer the original question, no you won't have to change anything on the MMI. Assuming target charge is set in car for what you want e.g. 80pc, the charger will turn on in the time window you program it to. My Etron 50 charges about 10% battery per hour so my 7 hour cheap tariff will give me 70%. The timing feature in my car is horrendous. It works by a target leave time. My tariff ends at 7.30am so the car aims to reach it charge target by then. However, it never calculates the charge rate properly and ends up missing target by 2 or 3%. Also, if I leave the car connected in this state for more than a day it discharges the car's 12v traditional car battery so the car can't be started. Spoke to Audi UK about this but they really couldn't give a toss!
Old 11-08-2023, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jonibegood
Also, if I leave the car connected in this state for more than a day it discharges the car's 12v traditional car battery so the car can't be started. Spoke to Audi UK about this but they really couldn't give a toss!
Thought this was fixed. There were many reports, in the early days of production, where the 12V battery was discharged from leaving the car connected to the L2 charger when the charging session was completed. The reason is when the charging door is open certain electronics are active which drains the 12V battery.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
Thought this was fixed. There were many reports, in the early days of production, where the 12V battery was discharged from leaving the car connected to the L2 charger when the charging session was completed. The reason is when the charging door is open certain electronics are active which drains the 12V battery.
I think it is fixed because with my ‘24 there is an option to “disconnect charger upon completion” or something like that. Plus, my green charging light goes off fully after it is charged to my predetermined level, which I assume means it’s no longer doing anything that would impact the 12 volt?
Old 11-08-2023, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

On the '24 the MMI option is whether the plug remains locked in place or is unlocked when charging is complete. I've not left it plugged in for any extended period to experience any issues.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
Yes, it may well be fixed with an update. My car is a 2020 model but I've never wanted to try it again and since then my PodPoint charger was given timer functionality. I've found the Audi logic surrounding the charging to be quite poor and untested.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RMSko
The charger I ended up buying is the Emporia 48 Amp charger. It has really great reviews and is $399 at Amazon (which is about 30% less than the ChargePoint charger). They both use WiFi and look like they both do the same thing - the Emporia actually has slightly better reviews than the ChargePoint charger.
I am considering the Emporia charger as local party is selling a new one for a really good deal. Are you still pleased with it? I would appreciate any insights on this unit.

Quick Reply: Home Charging Question