Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Jerky Brakes Issue, Rocks back and forth ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky Brakes Issue, Rocks back and forth ??????

I love m E-tron SUV 2021 but when braking the vech rocks back an forth, was told that is normal, dont remember when I test drove that it was so jky, it rocks back and forth slightly before a full stop, I know about teh recall but that shouldn't effect it, mech told me Audi are different frm Tesla which doesn't do this, so has anyone had this issue? That is usually new car service dept famous line its normal. so does anyone etron
Old 08-03-2021, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Same thing for me…..the harder I break the more it rocks at lockup. You really have to feather it in to have a smoother stop.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes, I noticed this when I first got my 2019. Reminds me of when I would drive my father's Plymouth Fury III land yacht.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 373 Likes on 212 Posts

I get the same thing, but only if I brake with constant (hard) pedal pressure all the way to a stop, which wouldn't be a smooth way to stop in any vehicle, much less a 5,600 lb. e-tron.

Ease off the brake pedal just as you're coming to a complete stop, and just as you come to a stop, the hold assist will grab and you get a bit of a bump, but not bad. If that bothers you, you can disable hold assist so that you can feather the braking all the way to a complete stop.
The following users liked this post:
kataja (08-08-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

E-Tron uses brake by wire, there is no physical link between the brakes and the pedal. When you press the brake pedal under normal circumstances the regen motor slows the car down initially and the mechanical brake will stop the car during the last few feet. Ease off the brake pedal as you are coming to stop.
The following users liked this post:
kataja (08-08-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes, these are all correct. I have definitely changed my braking style to minimize this...not sure why. Does it really matter?
Old 08-03-2021, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Yes, these are all correct. I have definitely changed my braking style to minimize this...not sure why. Does it really matter?
I've done similar to minimize this. Brake and then as you slow down, feather or let off the brake a bit. This helps with the jerking sensation but takes some practice.

This is an issue with how they blend their regen braking and mechanical braking.
I think if you are full on the brakes and do not ease up as you slow down, the mechanical brakes will bite a bit too hard and since they are so much stronger than the regen, it gives you this sudden jerking stop.
I've noticed that when slowing down entirely by regen to a near stop, I can feel the sudden mild jerk(and hear a creak) as the mechanical brakes bite as it stops.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have never experienced this issue in my 2019. In my experience braking to a stop hasn't been any different that any other car I've owned.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
I get the same thing, but only if I brake with constant (hard) pedal pressure all the way to a stop, which wouldn't be a smooth way to stop in any vehicle, much less a 5,600 lb. e-tron.

Ease off the brake pedal just as you're coming to a complete stop, and just as you come to a stop, the hold assist will grab and you get a bit of a bump, but not bad. If that bothers you, you can disable hold assist so that you can feather the braking all the way to a complete stop.
I tried that, but in my experience disabling hold assist makes no difference for the rocking.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81

Maybe I am already used to feather the breaks from driving my hybrid but it seems to me that I have to stop while pushing on the brake pedal for a little after coming to a complete stop before the hold assist kicks in. I do not think I ever had it come on while still rolling.

Originally Posted by jskcowboy
E-Tron uses brake by wire, there is no physical link between the brakes and the pedal. When you press the brake pedal under normal circumstances the regen motor slows the car down initially and the mechanical brake will stop the car during the last few feet. Ease off the brake pedal as you are coming to stop.
You are essentially correct. However, there is a direct connection between the brake pedal and the calipers. This is a failsafe in case the brake-by-wire is not working for whatever reason. So under normal conditions, this direct connection will never be used.

Quick Reply: Jerky Brakes Issue, Rocks back and forth ??????