Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Is the low efficiency of Q8 e-tron anything to be bothered about?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
There must be something wrong with your car. This isn't normal. I have a 2019 prestige too and don't have mileage loss year over year. Maybe you should charge to 100% and see if you get the original 208 or 213 miles.
This! My ‘19 had as much range when I sold it as it did when I bought it when charged to the same SoC and in similar ambient conditions. If you really are noticing a marked decrease in range at identical % SoC, then you no doubt have a bad battery module and the car needs to go to the dealer for a checkup.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

etron efficiency is lower because it's full time awd, many of the newer EVs offer 2wd variants now. also, etron regen is very weak which lowers overall efficiency, which i actually prefer since it "feels" like a more normal driving experience. i have a teen learning to drive now and i don't want him to not be able to drive a gas car because he's not used to braking on his own. compare that to EV's like the mustang mach-e that are so aggressive with regen it makes some people carsick.

also, many of us have 21's on the etron vs 19's which is going to lower efficiency by quite a bit. but i'm ok with that trade off too, you have to pay to play
Old 12-13-2023, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Similar to others, my 2019 showed no battery degradation over the 3.5 years I drove it.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GL921
etron efficiency is lower because it's full time awd, many of the newer EVs offer 2wd variants now. also, etron regen is very weak which lowers overall efficiency, which i actually prefer since it "feels" like a more normal driving experience. i have a teen learning to drive now and i don't want him to not be able to drive a gas car because he's not used to braking on his own. compare that to EV's like the mustang mach-e that are so aggressive with regen it makes some people carsick.

also, many of us have 21's on the etron vs 19's which is going to lower efficiency by quite a bit. but i'm ok with that trade off too, you have to pay to play
NO, etron regen is NOT very weak! You don't have One Pedal driving, but when braking, regen brings you very close to a full stop. Remember the brake pedal is using mostly regen (perss down regen) to slow the car. The paddle shifters work only to transfer a percentage of the regen to the accelerator pedal (lift up regen).
The following 2 users liked this post by JNealCox:
Bill33525 (12-13-2023), thebishman (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
There must be something wrong with your car. This isn't normal. I have a 2019 prestige too and don't have mileage loss year over year. Maybe you should charge to 100% and see if you get the original 208 or 213 miles.
well… I thought so but it just came back from dealer with this exact note:CUSTOMER STATES HE THINKS THERE IS SOMETHING WITH THE BATTERY, HAS LOST RANGE ONLY GETS ABOUT 160 MILES WHEN YOU CHARGE IT TO 100%

SEE TECH NOTES

50198 CUST REQ CHECKED ALL BATTERY CELLS, ALL OK. BATTERY LEVEL OK.

NO WARNINGS ON DASH OR FAULTS STORED. EXPLAINED CUSTOMER THAT RANGE MAY BE REDUCE DEU TO BATTERY WEAR, USE OF ELECTRIC CONSUMER | SEAT HEATERS, A/C, LIGHTS, RADIO, ETC.) AND ALSO DURING WEATHER CHANGE AS IT GETS COLD THE INTERNAL BATTERY HEATER MAY ALSO CONTRIBUTE TO LOW RANGE. ALL OF THESB ARE PART OF THE NORMAL OPERATION OF THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE. NO REPAIRS NEEDED. OPERATING A DESIGNED

Another words, standard answer for unknown issues. Still no answer my why now at the 80% charge it shows only 120 miles vs year ago same weather and driving conditions was 140 and so on … I’ll report back next winter when I see it at 100 miles 😜
Old 12-13-2023, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

If your nominal range used to be 220 miles at 100% SoC, and now you’re seeing 160 miles, that is a 27% reduction in range. That is not completely out of the ordinary IF the 220 miles at 100% SoC was noted in the Summer months, and the 160 miles is noted to be during markedly colder weather, and if say your most recent driving has been at a high speed and in bad weather, such as rain and wind.

It’s more, way more range drop than I ever saw but I was always parked in the garage; (non-heated however) and pre-conditioned the battery prior to leaving home in the morning.

What is your current, short term efficiency expressed in miles/kWhr?
Old 12-13-2023, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
NO, etron regen is NOT very weak! You don't have One Pedal driving, but when braking, regen brings you very close to a full stop. Remember the brake pedal is using mostly regen (perss down regen) to slow the car. The paddle shifters work only to transfer a percentage of the regen to the accelerator pedal (lift up regen).
sorry i meant to say very weak compared to some of the other EVs out there. i use the paddle shifters all the time but it's nothing compared to what tesla regen feels like, and if you've ever tried a mach-e that thing literally lurches you forward the instant you let off the accelerator! i do not dislike the audi implementation, but paddle shifters or not, it is not the same drastic regen offered by some other brands (which IMHO is a good thing)
Old 12-13-2023, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
If your nominal range used to be 220 miles at 100% SoC, and now you’re seeing 160 miles, that is a 27% reduction in range. That is not completely out of the ordinary IF the 220 miles at 100% SoC was noted in the Summer months, and the 160 miles is noted to be during markedly colder weather, and if say your most recent driving has been at a high speed and in bad weather, such as rain and wind.

It’s more, way more range drop than I ever saw but I was always parked in the garage; (non-heated however) and pre-conditioned the battery prior to leaving home in the morning.

What is your current, short term efficiency expressed in miles/kWhr?
+1 Summer vs. Winter can be a very noticeable drop. i live in socal (lows of high 40's maybe) and the etron is parked inside but i still see about 20mi drop on the GOM during winter months. i don't think it means a whole lot because once i start driving it sort of "catches up" on range but the starting value drops to the 170's in December and will be closer to 200 in the summer
Old 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry i meant to say very weak compared to some of the other EVs out there. i use the paddle shifters all the time but it's nothing compared to what tesla regen feels like, and if you've ever tried a mach-e that thing literally lurches you forward the instant you let off the accelerator! i do not dislike the audi implementation, but paddle shifters or not, it is not the same drastic regen offered by some other brands (which IMHO is a good thing)
I'm not sure you are getting my point. The very aggressive "lift off" regen does not mean a car like Tesla is using a lot more regen. The Audi emphasizes keeping the regen in the brake pedal (push down regen), while Tesla puts ALL the regen in the accelerator pedal (Lift up regen). Similar amounts of energy are being recaptured. Now, if you are just talking about the "sensation" that really aggressive regen gives you, that is a different matter.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

etron regen is very weak which lowers overall efficiency, which i actually prefer since it "feels" like a more normal driving experience
The etron regen is neither weak, nor weaker than any other EV. The proportion of regen applied automatically on lift-off is lower than in other cars, because most of it is available when pressing the brake. Aside from the legitimate use case of driving down a steep mountain pass, on a snowy road, there is no point in having lift-off regen other than to appease those used to a Tesla-style pedal. Slowing down using the accelerator pedal was a hack made popular by Tesla, who, in the early days, are said to have have actully tried to do proper blended braking and failed. With the available tech for blended braking being insufficiently capable and the company being perpetually 3 weeks away from bankruptcy, they went with the cheap option of modulating regen using the accelerator pedal. It was an unfortunate hack then and it remains so today, even though these days a lot of people are quite used to it and like it (I never came across a passenger that liked it though).

Also, regen is NOT efficient. Nothing can be more efficient than preserving momentum and shedding momentum is what the brake pedal was invented for.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tronification:
757driver (12-13-2023), gvbell (12-14-2023), ThomasW (12-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Is the low efficiency of Q8 e-tron anything to be bothered about?