Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Is the low efficiency of Q8 e-tron anything to be bothered about?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
I'm not sure you are getting my point. The very aggressive "lift off" regen does not mean a car like Tesla is using a lot more regen. The Audi emphasizes keeping the regen in the brake pedal (push down regen), while Tesla puts ALL the regen in the accelerator pedal (Lift up regen). Similar amounts of energy are being recaptured. Now, if you are just talking about the "sensation" that really aggressive regen gives you, that is a different matter.
i suppose, but when you consider real world driving, most people modulate their continuous speed on roads and highways with the accelerator pedal when traveling in normal continuous driving conditions. if i am driving on the highway between 60-80mph with no traffic, i am gently pushing the accelerator down or letting it go gradually to control my speed. i'm not stepping on my brake pedal to gradually slow down from 75 to 65mph over the course of a 1/4 mile. that would be idiotic and annoying to people behind me.

you are constantly doing this type of speed control every day when driving around town, unless you drive with a lead foot or race from stoplight to stoplight. and perhaps that is why tesla's lift-off regen results in decent efficiency over the audi. i am not constantly pressing or hovering over the brake pedal in the etron to control my speed. so maybe that is why the efficiency isn't a little better, i don't know. but maybe this type of lift-off driving lends itself to better efficiency overall in the conditions i drive in (suburban areas, rarely in stop in go traffic). i really don't know. i only have comparisons to make driving the model S and model X for several years before jumping ship for the etron.

btw, our model X was not that efficient either. but it was the P100D Ludicrous, was a few hundred lbs lighter but also had 22" wheels and about 2x the power of the etron. still, our lifetime mi/kwh on that EV was similar to the etron's. i assumed the etron would do better than the P100D but it was pretty much the same.

again, i really don't mind or care about the overall efficiency since the reason we left tesla for audi is for all the bells and whistles. all those things add weight and suck up energy which is a tradeoff i happily accept
Old 12-13-2023, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by GL921
i suppose, but when you consider real world driving, most people modulate their continuous speed on roads and highways with the accelerator pedal when traveling in normal continuous driving conditions. if i am driving on the highway between 60-80mph with no traffic, i am gently pushing the accelerator down or letting it go gradually to control my speed. i'm not stepping on my brake pedal to gradually slow down from 75 to 65mph over the course of a 1/4 mile. that would be idiotic and annoying to people behind me.

you are constantly doing this type of speed control every day when driving around town, unless you drive with a lead foot or race from stoplight to stoplight. and perhaps that is why tesla's lift-off regen results in decent efficiency over the audi. i am not constantly pressing or hovering over the brake pedal in the etron to control my speed. so maybe that is why the efficiency isn't a little better, i don't know. but maybe this type of lift-off driving lends itself to better efficiency overall in the conditions i drive in (suburban areas, rarely in stop in go traffic). i really don't know. i only have comparisons to make driving the model S and model X for several years before jumping ship for the etron.

btw, our model X was not that efficient either. but it was the P100D Ludicrous, was a few hundred lbs lighter but also had 22" wheels and about 2x the power of the etron. still, our lifetime mi/kwh on that EV was similar to the etron's. i assumed the etron would do better than the P100D but it was pretty much the same.

again, i really don't mind or care about the overall efficiency since the reason we left tesla for audi is for all the bells and whistles. all those things add weight and suck up energy which is a tradeoff i happily accept
No, with regard to regen, Audi is more efficient. When using regen about 15% of the energy is lost as heat whenever you slow the car (inefficiency in the conversion of kinetic energy) or accelerating (inefficiency in converting electrons to kinetic energy). Overall about 25% of the energy that goes through the regen process is lost. The most efficient way to move a car is by COASTING....just letting it roll. Audi does this very well; Tesla does not do it at all. So Audi is more efficient at handling regen--allowing you to NOT use it when you don't have to. Because of One Pedal driving, Teslas make you use regen all of the time.. Teslas are quite a bit more efficient than Audis, but is is NOT because of the regen process.

Last edited by JNealCox; 12-13-2023 at 10:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JNealCox:
gvbell (12-14-2023), yeamac (12-16-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
The 41 kWh/100 mile rating of the Q8 e-tron SUV translates to only 2.44 mile/kWh which is about the lowest number I've seen on any EV.
If you think that's bad you should see what I get out of my '22. I have never cleared the long range computer since I bought the car and it shows 2 miles/kWh. I know that it has to do with how/where I drive the car so I'm not surprised. My work commute is short. I don't spend a lot of time on the freeway and it's reflected in that number. Someone who does a lot more freeway driving will see the '19-'23 model years get 2.5.-2.8 miles kWh.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My efficiency has definitely increased after turning off the automatic regeneration setting in the MMI. Just letting it coast seems to moved me from 2.3 to 2.8mi/kw average
Old 12-15-2023, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 692 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
My efficiency has definitely increased after turning off the automatic regeneration setting in the MMI. Just letting it coast seems to moved me from 2.3 to 2.8mi/kw average
That is interesting. I might have to try that. Though it is winter now so efficiency is going to be worse. Maybe come spring I'll try turning AUTO off.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

oh wow i thought it would be the opposite. i set the auto regen long time ago and never thought about it again. maybe i will try your way and see if that gets me a little more ...
Old 12-15-2023, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by GL921
oh wow i thought it would be the opposite. i set the auto regen long time ago and never thought about it again. maybe i will try your way and see if that gets me a little more ...
My understanding is that AUTO Regen will also allow the car to coast. In Auto the car uses location data, etc to guess the best levels of regen to set, or to coast in order to maintain you desired speed. So the question becomes, can you do a better job?
Old 12-15-2023, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
My understanding is that AUTO Regen will also allow the car to coast. In Auto the car uses location data, etc to guess the best levels of regen to set, or to coast in order to maintain you desired speed. So the question becomes, can you do a better job?
so my problem when it was on auto is that the car didn’t like my following distances so it kept regenerating even when it didn’t have to. I personally like to coast even if I have little following distance room left. This constant slow down resulted in me having to keep accelerating immediately afterwards. Your mileage may vary
The following users liked this post:
JNealCox (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

^^^
I suspect the main differences between auto and manual regen will be on the highway, not so much in city driving.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 149 Posts

so my problem when it was on auto is that the car didn’t like my following distances so it kept regenerating even when it didn’t have to. I personally like to coast even if I have little following distance room left. This constant slow down resulted in me having to keep accelerating immediately afterwards. Your mileage may vary
That would explain the difference in consumption as you were accelerating and slowing down constantly. You can set the distance in the MMI somewhere so it better matches your driving style.

Quick Reply: Is the low efficiency of Q8 e-tron anything to be bothered about?