Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Premium Plus vs Prestige - interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Premium Plus vs Prestige - interior lighting

New to the forum (hi!) but looking for some help as the internet has failed me.

My dealer only has Prestiges on site. But I'm opting for the Premium Plus with Driver Assistance because I felt like most of the Prestige stuff I could live without.

But then I drove the Prestige at night and the interior lighting is pretty amazing. Then quickly realized thats not available on the Premium Plus.

My question is - what does the interior lighting look like on the Premium Plus? Can you change colors even if not quite as elaborately as in the Prestige? Does anyone have photos of their Premium Plus interior at night?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrobert

My dealer only has Prestiges on site. But I'm opting for the Premium Plus with Driver Assistance because I felt like most of the Prestige stuff I could live without.

But then I drove the Prestige at night and the interior lighting is pretty amazing. Then quickly realized thats not available on the Premium Plus.

My question is - what does the interior lighting look like on the Premium Plus? Can you change colors even if not quite as elaborately as in the Prestige? Does anyone have photos of their Premium Plus interior at night?

Not quite an answer to your question, but I can tell you that I keep the fancy lighting on the lowest setting in my Prestige. I find it far too bright and distracting/fatiguing otherwise (it has the typical LED flicker, quite noticeable if you move your eyes quickly, when it’s set to one of the brighter settings).

If it were a standalone option, I would not pay money for it.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrobert

According to the order sheet, there are no color options in the Premium Plus. There are many choices of color on the Prestige and some schemes that change according to drive mode. I keep it fairly dim, but depends on the environment (city vs rural for instance). No noticeable flicker for me. I enjoy it, but if it were a standalone option for a few hundred bucks, I'd pass. There are much better reasons to go Prestige like dual pane acoustic side glass, and the upgraded interior trim. I would very highly recommend sitting in a Prestige before making your decision. IMO, there is a marked difference in the finishing materials (seats, door cards, etc.).
Old 08-29-2019, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

I debated getting the prestige but the extras are really worth it. Leather is better, HUDL, lighting, massage, etc. Its a fantastic deal for the premium you pay, as long as the finance works out.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
I debated getting the prestige but the extras are really worth it. Leather is better, HUDL, lighting, massage, etc. Its a fantastic deal for the premium you pay, as long as the finance works out.
For what it’s worth, here’s how I value the extra features:

Better leather: it’s OK. I find it to be more of a case of the base leather being a bit crap. I don’t know what happened, but the whole industry seems to have gone downhill in this respect.

Leather dashboard etc.: meh, not worth money to me

Ambient lighting: to me, same as the leather dashboard

HUD: Nice. Most of the time I ignore it, but it’s nice. Really not that necessary/critical.

Massage seats: they’re not that vigorous, but are still very nice to have. There’s a bug with them though: for unfathomable reasons, they turn off after a while. They should be on at all times, on the max setting.

Radar cruise: nice to have in certain traffic situations

Lane keep: not good enough

Matrix LEDs: very nice but, without experiencing the “matrix” part, I have no idea if they’re really better than the base ones.

The smellee nicee feature: this one I like a lot. Might have to go buy a man purse after admitting to this.

Extra soundproofed glass (is this really a Prestige-only feature?): this one is cool. Can definitely tell a difference.

soft-close doors: I don’t see what the big deal is about these. A bit pointless, i.m.o.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
soft-close doors: I don’t see what the big deal is about these. A bit pointless, i.m.o.
Absolutely hate the soft close doors. They're worse than useless. First, you lose the "thunk" of power door locks. You walk up to the car and touch the handle, your passengers have been trained over decades that when they hear "thud" they can pull on the door handles as the door is unlocked. With the soft close doors there's no thud. Same applies for locking, then at least you have the chirp, but still.

Worse, my kids (11 & 13) find it hard to get out of the car. Have to pull the lever several times before the door opens, or they have to heavily lean against the door. What is that supposed to be? Happens to me sometimes too. What happened to good old mechanical locks where an unambiguous action had a clear and opposite reaction? I wish I could get rid of this "feature".
Old 08-30-2019, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The Prestige Package delivers so much more than the Premium Plus. One of the best features is the upgraded FULL leather interior. Yes, FULL leather interior. On the Premium Plus, and as with all other Audi models that do not feature the Luxury Package (Q7 and others), they only include leather seating surfaces. In the Premium Plus the majority of the seat is actually covered in leatherette. There's a distinct difference in full leather and leather seating surfaces. The massage seats are amazing and its all about the additional seat adjustments too. Side bolsters and seat back bolsters can be adjusted as well as the thigh extension. I have never experienced the LED light flutter mentioned in another reply. Splurge and go with the Prestige.
The following 2 users liked this post by Argus2018:
e-tronDriver (08-30-2019), theo1000 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Appreciate everyones input. Heading to the dealer today to finalize. Will have to make a decision.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
Have to pull the lever several times before the door opens, or they have to heavily lean against the door. What is that supposed to be? Happens to me sometimes too. What happened to good old mechanical locks where an unambiguous action had a clear and opposite reaction? I wish I could get rid of this "feature".
There is separate thread on this on page 2, Issues With the Doors.

Last edited by suttoni; 08-30-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Circling back. Went with the Prestige, 21" wheels, cold weather and rear side airbags.

And I don't regret. Just finished a 155 mile trip with 76 miles still on charge.

I guess I blame you all for selling me into the Prestige
The following users liked this post:
theo1000 (09-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Premium Plus vs Prestige - interior lighting