Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Tesla Closeout Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Side note: I don't intend to be a Tesla apologist on this site. I'm just trying to point out details that I've heard because I follow ALL EV companies pretty closely. I own 2 Audi's now (S5,A8L) with one on the way and have never owned a Tesla.

There's definitely some truth to your gut feeling. I'd probably feel the same if I owned one of those vehicles and had the price change after I purchased. I think Tesla has changed pricing too often in the last year or so. In some ways, I like a company that is nimble enough to re-evaluate their situation and adjust rapidly. On the other hand, there's the obvious issues that come with that mode of operation.

On a more general note. EV's are changing so rapidly, it seems like a purchase of an EV is bound to make you not satisfied compared to the latest tech even one year later. I think OTA updates help with this but there's only so much you can change. Our e-tron 55 Quattro will probably never get the 15 minute charging available with the e-tron GT because of the pack voltage.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Audi Owner
Elon Musk must have looked over his shoulder and fearing the onslaught of superior EVs about to overtake him has reduced the price of the Autopilot option.

Tesla posted:

"Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before.
For owners who already bought the upgrades and are now seeing the price drop, Tesla is giving the consolation prize of having access to the Early Access Program (EAP):

Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers."

I suppose next he may offer a set of dishes to anyone who will buy a Model S.
Man, what a $hit show! Is this because people are dissatisfied with the recent price drops or a simple way to raise cash? They just got out from under that convertible bond problem by parting with $920 million in vital cash. What better way to refill the coffers than a super sale on something that basically costs them nothing (now anyway)! The problem is a further erosion of credibility and trust and future income. They (he) has just made a bad thing worse.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
Man, what a $hit show! Is this because people are dissatisfied with the recent price drops or a simple way to raise cash? They just got out from under that convertible bond problem by parting with $920 million in vital cash. What better way to refill the coffers than a super sale on something that basically costs them nothing (now anyway)! The problem is a further erosion of credibility and trust and future income. They (he) has just made a bad thing worse.

My Thoughts Exactly. You have Autonomous experts coming out about their "Full Self Driving" Then you have Model 3 not charging well in Europe. Drivers dying weekly in suspicious accidents, Employees being crapped on, Things are really in a downward spiral for Tesla...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...227041514.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/02/tech/...ing/index.html

Old 03-02-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After the price reduction and option changes - owner reactions

This is the link to the forum thread "Impact of February 28 Price Change on Current Owners," where current Tesla owners chat about the price reductions and option changes: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/impact-february-28-price-change-current-owners
Old 03-02-2019, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's take a few deep breaths and think about these things.

Tesla accidents always seem to make the news but rarely any other brands. Is it really Tesla's fault when drivers make dangerous choices and get in accidents? Statistically, is a Tesla more likely to get in an accident or is it just more likely to get on the news? All Tesla's get the highest crash test ratings but the cars can't always stop drivers from doing unsafe things, no car brand can.

Charging issues are bound to happen across networks that aren't controlled by Tesla? Those are likely technical details that will get worked out, probably by Tesla's very successful OTA updates. In the mean time, there is a very good network of Superchargers available.

Owners mad that their car depreciated or the technology was surpassed? When is the last time Apple gave money back on last summers iPhone when the next model came out? ​​​​​​ I understand that most people here may not follow Tesla closely but they actually have a strong track record of going out of their way to be fair in these situations. Tesla actually did offer $5000 back on performance model 3's when the price shifted last summer. The Chevy Volt got a $5000 price drop after I bought it. I didn't get a dime back from GM and honestly I didn't expect it.

Every single year, people claim Tesla will die and every year they are wrong.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/89hfu9/in_light_of_recent_bad_news_heres_tesla_death/

If you only look for problems in situations, that's probably all you'll find.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought you weren't going to be the forum's Tesla apologist?

Originally Posted by alexlear
Tesla accidents always seem to make the news but rarely any other brands. Is it really Tesla's fault when drivers make dangerous choices and get in accidents? Statistically, is a Tesla more likely to get in an accident or is it just more likely to get on the news? All Tesla's get the highest crash test ratings but the cars can't always stop drivers from doing unsafe things, no car brand can.
I agree that Tesla accidents get excessive scrutiny, but Tesla encourages the attention by putting advanced features in the hands of morons. Cool tech, but a bit reckless nonetheless. Uber used that same "innovative tech startup" shield to half bake their self driving effort. Audi could have let you fry the battery, enjoy sub 3s 0-60 times, and drive at 150+mph while listening to fart noises, but they're just not that cool.

Also, Tesla encourages the attention by responding to individual incidents with the same persecution complex that Musk shows to short sellers. All information that Tesla has should be held confidential pending any investigation by government entities. Tesla has been chastised by the NTSB/DOT more than once for compromising the privacy of the parties involved and the ongoing investigation. They need to mature.

Charging issues are bound to happen across networks that aren't controlled by Tesla? Those are likely technical details that will get worked out, probably by Tesla's very successful OTA updates. In the mean time, there is a very good network of Superchargers available.
Bjorn is on a tear right now. Amusing, but anecdotal. I think it's great there are CCS problems because they have their own chargers

Owners mad that their car depreciated or the technology was surpassed? When is the last time Apple gave money back on last summers iPhone when the next model came out? ​​​​​​ I understand that most people here may not follow Tesla closely but they actually have a strong track record of going out of their way to be fair in these situations. Tesla actually did offer $5000 back on performance model 3's when the price shifted last summer. The Chevy Volt got a $5000 price drop after I bought it. I didn't get a dime back from GM and honestly I didn't expect it.
Technology is one thing, but that isn't the big player right now. This is all about Wall Street, playing the quarterly report game, and dealing with debt. This is the worst of what publicly traded companies in America do; they sacrifice long term stability and responsible treatment of all stakeholders for the next quarterly numbers. Tesla does it with even less skill and subtlety than most. Who would want to work for a company like Tesla? Just read an article about them cutting all commissions for the sales force in order to force resignations and avoid severance payments. Sad.

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 03-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's take a few deep breaths and think about these things.

Every single year, people claim Tesla will die and every year they are wrong.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...s_tesla_death/

If you only look for problems in situations, that's probably all you'll find.
Oh Alex,

2 people died in Tesla's just in the last week in Florida, both in strange accidents, one possibly lost a front wheel when the suspension broke, hit a tree, and while onlookers tried to get the driver out, but could not due to malfunctioning door handles the car burst into flames and the driver of the car (a Dr. and father of 5) was burned alive in the car. After this, I would never own any car with anything other then mechanical door latches. The hiding door handles cost the Dr his life... Aerodynamics that important to you?

The second accident involved a Model 3 driving under a semi trailer (very similar to the Joshua Brown accident a few years ago) that caused the separation or Tesla and Mobileye because the Mobileye CEO said Elon Musk was not taking safety seriously.

By comparison Bolt so far has been involved in 1 fatal accident, a pickup driving the wrong way hit the Bolt nearly head on, the Bolt driver was slightly injured, the pickup driver was killed, and a passenger in the pickup critically injured. No fire BTW, even though the Bolt was ripped in half.

As for Model 3 charging problems, How about Tesla do some testing before releasing the car into the wild??? Do you know where we first got E-Tron Charging data? Audi was taking the cars all over Europe and testing all the different chargers months before the cars ship to customers. Audi happened to draw attention from the head of networks at Fastned because he noticed the incredibly high charge rate in their charger logs, and pulled up the data on the charge session. Audi has a few cars already in the USA in their captured fleet doing the same thing, trying different stations and chargers. We will not have the problems Bjorn is having I am pretty sure.

Did you read the Electrek article about tesla screwing their employees at stores trying to get them to quit so they do not have to pay severance pay when they fire them?

Did you also read the article this morning that the factory in Fremont has the highest rate of OSHA safety violations of any auto factory in the USA over the last 5 year?

Tesla loves their workers, and their customers.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have seen some references to the e-Tron's "armor plated battery box". If that is true, it seems it's worth it's weight.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla owners literally protest over drastic price cuts

from electrek:
https://electrek.co/2019/03/04/tesla...st-price-cuts/

Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Musk tries to put it out, but like their cars, the fire can reignite at any time.

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 03-04-2019 at 11:39 AM.