Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

UK: Is anyone being hit by crazy insurance hikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UK: Is anyone being hit by crazy insurance hikes?

Hey folks - I see there are some crazy stories of EV owners either being refused insurance cover by some insurers or seeing huge price hikes (worst being £500 -> £5000!), apparently on the basis of repairs taking ages and costing a fortune due to lack of competence in the repairers and very expensive repairs (for example the Model Y's single piece rear casting). Anyone seeing this with their eTrons? Mine's up for renewal in a month! My family SMax insurance went up 50% from £400-£600.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Coverage for my etron went way up compared to my other vehicles. Insurance said it was due to claims (not me) and inflation, in their letter.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMatador
Hey folks - I see there are some crazy stories of EV owners either being refused insurance cover by some insurers or seeing huge price hikes (worst being £500 -> £5000!), apparently on the basis of repairs taking ages and costing a fortune due to lack of competence in the repairers and very expensive repairs (for example the Model Y's single piece rear casting). Anyone seeing this with their eTrons? Mine's up for renewal in a month! My family SMax insurance went up 50% from £400-£600.
All the money we save in Gas goes straight to insurance unfortunately. Such a scam industry...
Old 10-02-2023, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm in California. My insurance has not gone up, at least not yet. I know that Tesla's are notoriously expensive to insure based on some issues that are unique to those cars, but I don't think it's industry wide. The etron is on a AAA policy along with a '17 Honda Accord Hybrid. The monthly payment is about $222 for both cars. This is for full coverage, not liability. My homeowners insurance is also through AAA so I am getting a multi-line discount.

If your insurance is high, or on the increase, shop around and consider switching. I was with State Farm for a while, but found that AAA is cheaper and offers better coverage.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
I'm in California. My insurance has not gone up, at least not yet. I know that Tesla's are notoriously expensive to insure based on some issues that are unique to those cars, but I don't think it's industry wide. The etron is on a AAA policy along with a '17 Honda Accord Hybrid. The monthly payment is about $222 for both cars. This is for full coverage, not liability. My homeowners insurance is also through AAA so I am getting a multi-line discount.

If your insurance is high, or on the increase, shop around and consider switching. I was with State Farm for a while, but found that AAA is cheaper and offers better coverage.
I probably checked every company in California when I was shopping around, I just checked AAA for the hell of it to compare my Progressive rates, they quoted me almost 200$ higher then my current rates. Currently have my wifes 2020 e350, and my E-tron, on my policy. perfect driving history and 800+ credit. Most of these quotes are based on Zipcodes. When I was with Geico they raised my rate 100$ when I moved 10min away and changed zipcodes by 1 number. I had Homeowners bundled with car insurance and it was still more, so I left my home on Geico and switched cars to Progressive.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geeplus
I probably checked every company in California when I was shopping around, I just checked AAA for the hell of it to compare my Progressive rates, they quoted me almost 200$ higher then my current rates. Currently have my wifes 2020 e350, and my E-tron, on my policy. perfect driving history and 800+ credit. Most of these quotes are based on Zipcodes. When I was with Geico they raised my rate 100$ when I moved 10min away and changed zipcodes by 1 number. I had Homeowners bundled with car insurance and it was still more, so I left my home on Geico and switched cars to Progressive.
Zipcodes play a big part in how car insurance rates are set in California. That AAA quote is really high, but that's also for two mid-priced German cars that are both expensive to repair. I'm guessing that you are in an urban area as well. Zipcodes that lie within an urban area tend to be at least 30% higher than other parts of the state. The '17 Honda Accord Hybrid doesn't put much of a dent in the insurance bill. It's mostly about the etron, but I was a bit surprised (in a good way) when my insurance agent quoted me the price for adding it when I bought it last summer. I thought it would be higher.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by geeplus

that is INSANE! i am paying a SIX-month premium of $478 on the etron. $508 on our other car. total $986 every 6 months for the two. that is with the highest coverages available, although i do $1000 collison and $250 comprehensive deductible. we've never had a claim or accident, but a few glass claims (2 on the etron alone with this policy).
Old 10-02-2023, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That's crazy! I just got my Progressive renewal today for $1420 for 6 months for 3 cars (Etron, 911 and Tucson)

That's $236/mth for the 3 cars OR divided equally for $78/month per car. I hope it doesn't change much in the future, but so far it is all good!
Old 10-02-2023, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85

Yeah, also with AAA with homeowners as well, and with my 2021 ETron and a 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV for my 17-year old son who totaled a $40k SUV a week after he got his license a year ago, mine is $391 a month, which I consider a bargain. Mine actually went DOWN at renewal time despite his at-fault accident! It’s possible that AAA is passing on rate hikes to new customers.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, mine is $1332 for 6 months for 2 cars, one being the '22 etron Chronos. I wouldn't trust those auto-generated quotes. Call an agent and see what they say. $575/mo seems high, even with no deductible.

Quick Reply: UK: Is anyone being hit by crazy insurance hikes?