Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Wireless phone charger not on my'23 Prem Plus?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless phone charger not on my'23 Prem Plus?!

I pre-ordered/got dibs on a dealer-bound 2023 Premium Plus e-tron that's at the factory. I went on the Audi USA site to look at features to double check, and didn't see the wonderfully convenient wireless phone charger listed (the one in the console next to the cup holders). I texted my dealer and he said "you'll probably not get the wireless charging feature. Audi's been giving a credit for that for a year or more on most of the cars". Have people seen that? Is there an aftermarket / spare part I can do an install myself for that? I think it's one of my fave interior features, I'm pretty bummed.
I've seen some other mag safe hacks and things so maybe that's my alternative. TIA.

Oh and I just joined; this forum is great, I'm excited to join the discussion!

Bryce
2023 e-tron Premium Plus (black optics pckg) - hopefully fall 2023.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 689 Likes on 500 Posts

Your dealer is correct. With the Premium and the Premium Plus trim lines, Audi has been crediting back $250 and blaming the lack of availability on the chip shortage.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bryceproberts
I pre-ordered/got dibs on a dealer-bound 2023 Premium Plus e-tron that's at the factory. I went on the Audi USA site to look at features to double check, and didn't see the wonderfully convenient wireless phone charger listed (the one in the console next to the cup holders). I texted my dealer and he said "you'll probably not get the wireless charging feature. Audi's been giving a credit for that for a year or more on most of the cars". Have people seen that? Is there an aftermarket / spare part I can do an install myself for that? I think it's one of my fave interior features, I'm pretty bummed.
I've seen some other mag safe hacks and things so maybe that's my alternative. TIA.

Oh and I just joined; this forum is great, I'm excited to join the discussion!

Bryce
2023 e-tron Premium Plus (black optics pckg) - hopefully fall 2023.
Wireless cradle chargers super slow anyway I never use it, charging via usb-c is fast.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks much for your quick confirmation on that.

Anyone have a lead on a DIY magsafe / wireless with "clip" hack that resembles the OEM? Or aftermarket solutions? I think the USB-c chargers are right there so I might just chuck a thinish charger in there.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have this in my 19' however I actually rarely use it unless I use my phone to enter/start the car.
Main reason is it heats the phone up a LOT.

I use Brodit and always have in all our cars which is a screwless holder but fits into the dash lines.
Obviously how you then feed your cable is up to you but I've seen some pretty good work - I'm sure someone on here even went as far as creating their own wireless charging module on the dash drilling the trim to feed the cable etc
Old 08-05-2022, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Same with the others, the wireless charge is pretty useless.

I have the iPhone 13 Pro Max and there are 4 main issues: 1) it is very finicky about where I exactly place the phone, 2) even if I place the phone correctly it will sometime fail to recognize, 3) it charges incredibly slow, and 4) it heats up the phone significantly.

Probably better off with Magsafe, but it will not look as sleek and more clutter with wires.
The following users liked this post:
sirfrancis (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 539 Likes on 400 Posts

I have a 2019 SUV and use the phone box regularly. Not only does it wirelessly charge my phone, it also boost my phone signal a couple of bars.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Whackit has a thread for a super clean install. Looks really good, and nicely executed. My charging cradle was also credited for my '22 Chronos Edition build.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-easy-3036298/
Old 08-05-2022, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Timtheguru
Whackit has a thread for a super clean install. Looks really good, and nicely executed. My charging cradle was also credited for my '22 Chronos Edition build.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-easy-3036298/
Thanks; I saw that, it does look nice. Maybe that's my backup.

Thanks for the info all; I guess I should be happy I get $250 back to do a $40 charger DIY solution?!
Old 08-08-2022, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I was a little surprised that my Etron S that was just build came with the phone box, just sort of expected it to be missing

Quick Reply: Wireless phone charger not on my'23 Prem Plus?!