Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Clueless about ED and buying an Audi in general

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clueless about ED and buying an Audi in general

Hello all - I'm a newbie here, and a female who probably fits all the negative and clueless stereotypes about car-buying. I arrived at my Audi dealer high on my stiletto heels and low on car buying knowledge. Needless to say, my bargaining did not go as planned.

Since then I'm looking online and at ED and trying to find the cheapest option, but I don't know where to start. I haven't yet looked into ED pricing.

Q's: 1. I'm a US diplomat so I'd like to take advantage of any diplomat programs out there for Audi - the US govt will ship a car for me free from the US to my overseas posting. Does anyone have experience buying as a diplomat, here in the US or in Europe?

2. An online company offered me a price for a 2014 at '13 prices, approx $42k for an A4 (Prem Plus AWD Auto, Nav, B&O sound) although it would be special order and shipped to the US, and take approx 4 months from order date. I'm not sure what the benefit is of getting ED versus getting a custom ordered one delivered to a US dealer. If the ED with the 5% discount equals the same price as having one sent to the US, is it just the whole trip/experience of Germany, rather than the cost savings, which makes ED desirable?

3. How do I calculate the 5% discount that ED would be approx? - do I take it off the price shown when building a car via the Audi website?

4. What warranty do you generally get with ED? A second online company who quoted me a higher price also factored in the following option:
OPR2 Owner's Protection Plan: $2,700.00
Major Component Coverage including Air Conditioning and High Tech
Features. (6 years/75,000 miles). $50 deductible. Coverage in the USA and Canada plus Limited Overseas Locations.
Do most of you choose this warranty option, or is this unnecessary?

Thanks so much!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saraturkish
Hello all - I'm a newbie here, and a female who probably fits all the negative and clueless stereotypes about car-buying. I arrived at my Audi dealer high on my stiletto heels and low on car buying knowledge. Needless to say, my bargaining did not go as planned.

Since then I'm looking online and at ED and trying to find the cheapest option, but I don't know where to start. I haven't yet looked into ED pricing.

Q's: 1. I'm a US diplomat so I'd like to take advantage of any diplomat programs out there for Audi - the US govt will ship a car for me free from the US to my overseas posting. Does anyone have experience buying as a diplomat, here in the US or in Europe?

2. An online company offered me a price for a 2014 at '13 prices, approx $42k for an A4 (Prem Plus AWD Auto, Nav, B&O sound) although it would be special order and shipped to the US, and take approx 4 months from order date. I'm not sure what the benefit is of getting ED versus getting a custom ordered one delivered to a US dealer. If the ED with the 5% discount equals the same price as having one sent to the US, is it just the whole trip/experience of Germany, rather than the cost savings, which makes ED desirable?

3. How do I calculate the 5% discount that ED would be approx? - do I take it off the price shown when building a car via the Audi website?

4. What warranty do you generally get with ED? A second online company who quoted me a higher price also factored in the following option:
Features. (6 years/75,000 miles). $50 deductible. Coverage in the USA and Canada plus Limited Overseas Locations.

Thanks so much!

I'm not a diplomat, but I know that the rules for diplomats are sufficiently different that you really want to check things out with your employer as well as Audi.
The regular ED program may or may not be for you--it is based on taking delivery in Europe and having the car shipped back here within 60-90 days. Anything more and us ordinary people get socked with the European VAT tax.
But your posting (to Germany? Somewhere else in the EU?) will probably be for longer. So this means that the EuroDelivery program may not work for you--but it may not matter, if your diplomatic status protects you from VAT tax. I don't know.
This also means that there could be an issue with the emission systems--IIRC, the emissions systems on some or all cars are different in the US and the EU. I don't know how that gets dealt with for diplomats, but if there is a regular allowance of one car shipment, I'm going to guess that the State Dept. has rules for figuring it out.

For negotiating, check out Consumer Reports or TrueCar or similar websites to get an idea of what real world US negotiated prices are like. Your experience, however, may wind up very different.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saraturkish

Thanks so much!
Welcome to Audi ED Forum.
European Delivery program is a separate program form Diplomatic sales.
For Diplomatic sales you only have discount of MSRP prce and/or tax free. I don't know how much exactly.

European Delivery program base on assumption - that US customer ( The purchaser must be a US citizen at least 18 years of age and provide a valid driver's license and passport) travel to Germany to pick up their new car and than must drop off this car after some period, not exited 90 days

Audi is pleased to offer the following amenities and services to our participants in the European Delivery Program at no additional charge:

Transportation from the Munich airport to one of two four-star or five-star hotels recommended by Audi.
Hotel accommodations for you and a guest for one night (one room), with transportation in the morning to the Audi Forum Ingolstadt.
Fourteen days of auto insurance coverage, export license plates, and vehicle registration.
A full day of meals at the Audi Forum Ingolstadt's Marché restaurant on your delivery day.
A guided tour of the Audi factory, a visit to the Audi mobile museum and ground transportation of your vehicle from any of our 14 established European drop-off locations.

All of the following fees covered:

Drop-off locations
European and U.S. wharf charges
Ocean shipping and marine insurance
Customs duty and clearance
For first 2 weeks Audi pick up tab for insurance and transportation back to the port to shipping to US and all transportation fee and marine insurance.
If you desired stay more - you have to pay for insurance.
The insurance pricing is as follows:

15 days: Complimentary
30 days: $280.00
60 days: $490.00
90 days: $910.00
After you drop of
Please allow a minimum of 11-13 weeks from drop off date to the US dealer delivery (pending transportation, weather, or US Customs delays). Your Audi Dealer will perform necessary licensing and paperwork upon vehicle return.