Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Picking up an S5 in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up an S5 in winter?

Can anyone share their experience of picking up an S5 (or another S-line vehicle) in winter? The somewhat cryptic blurb on the website states that "German laws require all drivers to equip their vehicles accordingly [to winter conditions]. Although the all-season tires on most Audi vehicles are better suited for winter driving than the S-line performance tires, snow tires provide the highest level of winter driving safety and performance—especially when driving on snow or ice." Does it mean they can accommodate me by providing temporarily winter tires (e.g., to be swapped by the dealer after the car arrives to the US), or that I need to do a custom order with HP All-Season tires? Or that they will deliver summer tires and just look in the other direction as I drive away?

Elsewhere in this section I found a thread about ED being suspended for S-line cars last year. How much advance notice was given to the customers? I'd hate to set up the entire trip and learn at the last minute that I now need a rental car and a second trip...
Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstruzak
Can anyone share their experience of picking up an S5 (or another S-line vehicle) in winter? The somewhat cryptic blurb on the website states that "German laws require all drivers to equip their vehicles accordingly [to winter conditions]. Although the all-season tires on most Audi vehicles are better suited for winter driving than the S-line performance tires, snow tires provide the highest level of winter driving safety and performance—especially when driving on snow or ice." Does it mean they can accommodate me by providing temporarily winter tires (e.g., to be swapped by the dealer after the car arrives to the US), or that I need to do a custom order with HP All-Season tires? Or that they will deliver summer tires and just look in the other direction as I drive away?

Elsewhere in this section I found a thread about ED being suspended for S-line cars last year. How much advance notice was given to the customers? I'd hate to set up the entire trip and learn at the last minute that I now need a rental car and a second trip...
BMW setup 3rd party tire shop in Munich, but they do not help Audi customers.
My advise - reschedule your trip. Audi will not help you any way with this issue.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TIME89
My advise - reschedule your trip. Audi will not help you any way with this issue.
Unfortunately can't -- spending Christmas with family back in Europe. I would have to make a separate trip...

I am not that much worried about safety -- I learned to drive on alpine roads covered in snow (albeit in underpowered Peugeots and Opels usually on all-season tires); I'm more concerned if Audi will actually agree do the delivery. Back in US I will use the car to go up skiing in winter, so it will end up with high performance all-season tires anyway; it would be nice if Audi could put them on right away...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Unfortunately can't -- spending Christmas with family back in Europe. I would have to make a separate trip...

I am not that much worried about safety -- I learned to drive on alpine roads covered in snow (albeit in underpowered Peugeots and Opels usually on all-season tires); I'm more concerned if Audi will actually agree do the delivery. Back in US I will use the car to go up skiing in winter, so it will end up with high performance all-season tires anyway; it would be nice if Audi could put them on right away...
They will not let you get you car, if it's snow outside. It's against German law. You can ask them, if you can pay for flat bed track, that take your car from Ingolstadt Forum to Munich drop off location near Airport
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This month's issues of BMW's Roundel has a story on a BMW ED - and listed the name of the 3rd party that rented/swapped out the tires. I don't have the Roundel anymore, and it may be the company already mentioned in this post...but it's worth tracking down the number and asking..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bandersen
This month's issues of BMW's Roundel has a story on a BMW ED - and listed the name of the 3rd party that rented/swapped out the tires. I don't have the Roundel anymore, and it may be the company already mentioned in this post...but it's worth tracking down the number and asking..
I have his info,
when some one from this forum contact him, he state that he didn't work with Audi.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They will not let you get you car, if it's snow outside. It's against German law.
Just got a note from the sales rep from my local dealership that he "received info from Euro Delivery that all cars scheduled for delivery in the fall will have all season tires". He's still working out allocations and dates, maybe that answer was generic and will change once they learn that I want an S5...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just got a note from the sales rep from my local dealership that he "received info from Euro Delivery that all cars scheduled for delivery in the fall will have all season tires". He's still working out allocations and dates, maybe that answer was generic and will change once they learn that I want an S5...
let's wait and see
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

let's wait and see
Well, in a complete reversal of fortune I just got another call from him stating that he misspoke, and that he now confirmed that ED for any cars that cannot be configured with all-season tires will be suspended until spring... Sounds like I need a second opinion!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, in a complete reversal of fortune I just got another call from him stating that he misspoke, and that he now confirmed that ED for any cars that cannot be configured with all-season tires will be suspended until spring... Sounds like I need a second opinion!
Sorry, man!
But second opinion will be the same as first.

Quick Reply: Picking up an S5 in winter?