Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Tips for Audi European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infocor
Here's a European Delivery tip: bring your order form. It will be very helpful when you get the wrong car and your dealer claims they "lost" it so you can't prove what car you are supposed to get. My delivery date was 15 Jan. When I saw the car, I could see the rims were wrong. Upon closer inspection, I could see the 18" sports package was not included (tires, steering wheel, seats, suspension, etc.) I did not take delivery of the vehicle. Both Fiona (the coordinator on the Germany side) and Gary were very helpful. I think Fiona woke Gary up. Given the time difference, we had to wait until the dealership opened. When they finally answered their phones, they claimed they lost the order form. Funny, they managed not to lose my check. The Forum was prepared to issue me a loaner if it was proven that I ordered a different car. Since I didn't have proof at the time, AoA offered to pay for a rental car. It's a Passat. Not bad for two wheel drive. And since it was Friday night and Monday is a US holiday, nothing was going to get resolved until Tuesday at the earliest.
Oh, I feel so bad for you. I heard of this problem before, not with Audi. So when it was time to order my Audi, I requested that Gary send me via email what I had ordered. What I don't like about Audi, is you really don't know what you are getting. You don't know if the car will be delivered properly or if there will be a communication between dealership to factory. When I picked up my Porsche in 06, they gave you a copy of the Monroney label copy and you were required to bring that to pick up the car. This listed everything on the car. You still needed to check the car, but you had proof.

Sorry for your misfortune. Would love to know the dealership!?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by infocor
Here's a European Delivery tip: bring your order form. It will be very helpful when you get the wrong car and your dealer claims they "lost" it so you can't prove what car you are supposed to get. My delivery date was 15 Jan. When I saw the car, I could see the rims were wrong. Upon closer inspection, I could see the 18" sports package was not included (tires, steering wheel, seats, suspension, etc.) I did not take delivery of the vehicle. Both Fiona (the coordinator on the Germany side) and Gary were very helpful. I think Fiona woke Gary up. Given the time difference, we had to wait until the dealership opened. When they finally answered their phones, they claimed they lost the order form. Funny, they managed not to lose my check. The Forum was prepared to issue me a loaner if it was proven that I ordered a different car. Since I didn't have proof at the time, AoA offered to pay for a rental car. It's a Passat. Not bad for two wheel drive. And since it was Friday night and Monday is a US holiday, nothing was going to get resolved until Tuesday at the earliest.
Infocor, sorry for your trouble. Please, let as know, how everything working out. If you need additional communication help in US - send me PM with name and Phone number and message need to be delivery and I will make call for you, from LA.
Good Luck

I already write this here and on Q5 thread. It's scare me how Audi dealership treat their customers.

Last edited by TIME89; 01-18-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer is Len Stoler in Owings Mills, MD. I went in today to talk to them.

The salesman and GM I worked with during the original order are both gone (quit, fired, who knows). They obviously got all the blame. The current salesman and GM showed me the order they had in their database. It was way off. Not only did it not have the 18" sports package, it included a couple options I did not order. It's a miracle the color was right. Since I didn't take the car, it gets shipped to them and counts against their normal allocation. If anyone wants a blue 6MTQ, P+, w/o a sports package in two months, they'll probably give you a good deal.

They offered to change one of their Stage 10 vehicles to match my specs. This car has an Actual Production week of 07/2010 (7th week/2010) which I'm guessing is the week of 15 Feb. It would arrive in the US around the same time as my ED car would have. They offered this car to me at invoice which only works out to ~$300 less than what I paid. This includes charges for Dealer Advertising Group ($204) and port charges ($195). The salesman said those are charges that dealers have to pay on every vehicle. They gave me the Vehicle Order form and the invoice price sheet, and showed me samples of other vehicle invoices. I imagine the DAG varies on your market, but shouldn't the port charges be wrapped in the destination charges?

The GM is trying to comp Audi Care. He says he's asked and hasn't gotten approval yet. I told them I am considering ED'ing this car so I would also like them to pick up the cost of airfare. The GM said he would check with the dealership and AoA to see if something can be worked out.

If $300 is all I get out of this, I will get refund and go to a different dealer. It sounds like Gary and the Area Manager ripped them a new one. I'll wait to hear what AoA comes up with. Hopefully, it will be applicable at any dealership.

On a positive note, the rental car was good practice. I discovered a 6MT downshifts much more smoothly if you go from 6th to 5th instead of 6th to 3rd.

I dropped the original dealership (Len Stoler). The GM said they didn't need to hold a deposit while waiting for the car to be reordered. He wasn't aware that ED requires you to pay in full. So I asked for my money back and said I'd bring him a new check when the car was ready. A week of unreturned voice mail messages. When he finally calls back, he says it will take the finance dept another week to get me a check. I tell him I'm on my way to the dealership to discuss the issue in person. Magically, he's able to get a check cut in 10 minutes. Bye bye Len Stoler.

The AoA area sales manager referred different dealership (Hunt Valley Motors) that has done a decent job of keeping me informed through the process. I had to reorder the car, and they modified an existing order. It saved me a couple weeks. The car was built last week. My delivery date is 8 April. I have copies of the Order Form this time so I'm confident the car will actually be built as spec'ed.

I'm still waiting to hear if AoA will do something to make up for this mess. I'm not happy with their lack of response. Outside of Gary and Fiona, all I've gotten is a "so sorry, sucks to be you." I haven't signed any purchase agreements or paid anything yet. I could still walk away. I should see the purchasing/price info later this week. Once I see that, I'll have something more concrete to discuss with them.

Last edited by TIME89; 03-16-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hotels for your ED

I am a big fan of the following websites:

www.hrs.com/ - my favorite site for booking hotels in Europe (and elsewhere around the world) bar none. They don't require prepayment in most cases, but please remember to cancel if you are not going to use the reservation.

www.venere.com/ - my second favorite site. Has more unaffiliated and non-chain hotels. Also, more in the way of better prices on 2 star hotels.

www.gtahotels.com/ - somewhat interesting site. All the rates include breakfast and taxes.

https://www.hotelclub.net/

http://www.eurocheapo.com/

Last edited by TIME89; 05-10-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hotels in Italy

Venice Hotels Map

Tronchetto Parking Garage in Venice

Milan Hotels Map

Florence Hotels Map

Restaurant "Ambasciata D'Abruzzo" in Rome

Villas in Italy

http://www.visiteurope.com/home.aspx

Last edited by TIME89; 05-28-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Web Page of Kristopher Linquist-Travel Tips

Original Post

Travel Tips

As of today...

I've flown 192,000 mlies on United. 60,000 on American and another 30,000 combined on other random airlines. I've decided to give you some flying tips. Many of these may be centered around United, but these strategies can be applied to most other airlines.

Find your flight.

A great site is Mobissimo.com, it checks all of the airline sites at once.

Do this online prior to making your reservation (not required, but it helps). Log in to your new "account" on the airlines' web page and make your reservation from there. You'll then automatically get credit for your flight.

Even if you only fly every 5 years - simply being a member of the program makes you "better" than other passengers. Little known fact: If you are waiting standby for an upcoming flight, they don't allow standby passengers in the order on which they were placed on the standby list. They allow them based on how many miles are in the passenger's frequent flyer account. Even if you've flown 0 miles, that's "more" than someone who isn't a member of the program.

Choose your seats online.

When you make your reservation, most airlines will show you what type of aircraft your flight will be on (On united.com, you can see more information by changing your 'display preferences' to 'expert'). Once you see that information, go to www.seatguru.com to help you select a seat. Seatguru will show you how much leg room you have, if your seat does not fully recline, and even if it's in a loud location (next to the galley). Some seats may be listed as "premium" and will only be available to individuals that have earned "status" (flown >=25k miles in the current or previous year). I believe American Airlines lets you view your reservation and change your seats anytime between the time you make the reservation and check-in. Check every few days to see if a better seat opens up!

On United, you can only choose a new seat online at time of online check-in, which begins 24 hours prior to your flight. If I've got a crappy seat, I'll continually refresh the page at exactly 24 hrs prior to my departure, check-in online, and (more often than not) get a better seat. Remember: even if you can't print your boarding pass when you check in online, you can still get a "reprint" at the airport (from the automated check-in kiosks or from a person) - and you'll still have your good seat!

On Southwest, which you simply get an "A" "B" or "C" boarding pass, determining the order on which you can board the no-seat-assignment plane, you can checkin 24 hours prior to takeoff with your mobile phone via http://mobile.southwest.com (it'll look different if you go to that page from a PC). You'll get your "A" and then print your boarding pass when you get to the airport.

Most airlines give you the ability to turn on text message flight notifications. You'll receive a notification x hours (usually 2) prior to the flight with the gate information as well as whether it's on time or not. United will also send you a text message with information on your flight landing.

Keep in mind that most airlines will allow you to turn on your phone as soon as the plane lands now. The text notifcation is not necessarily helpful prior to your trip, but it's invaluable when you've got a tight connection. As soon as my first-leg flight lands, I'll turn on my phone and immediately receive the queued text messages informing me of what gate we're coming in to as well as what gate I'll have to run to. Look in the back of the in-flight magazine for maps of airports - you'll know which way to go before even leaving the plane.

Program your airline's reservation phone number in your cell phone

Here's a very possible scenario: You're signed up for text messages, and as soon as you land and turn on your phone, you've discovered that your connecting flight is canceled. There are 5 other people on your flight that are trying to make that same connection. There are 3 open seats on the next available plane to your destination city. You see that the flight is canceled so you immediately call the airline, inform them of the situation, and immediately get a confirmed seat on the next available flight - even before the other passengers know it's canceled. Every minute counts here. A gate agent actually gave me a $50 flight coupon because I had already called and found myself a seat on another flight, only requiring her to print my new boarding pass. She had been dealing with jackasses all morning, and was surprised by my politeness.

Link to airline phone numbers

Don't bother using the outside skycap.

Use the self-service kiosks then take checked bags up to the appropriate counter position. The "skycaps" outside usually "require" a tip and they rarely save you time (in my opinion/experience, of course)

Come prepared.

Bring:
  • iPod, magazines, books.
  • Your laptop with DVD movies. If you want to save battery power, use something like DVD Decrypter to copy movies to your hard drive first. Also, a 3M laptop privacy filter is good if you don't want other people watching your ****. It's a polarized piece of plastic you put in front of your screen that restricts the viewing angle to within a few degrees.
  • An iGo power supply. Use Seatguru.com to determine whether there's a power plug under your seat. It may be a proprietary 15V DC plug OR a regular 120V AC plug. You can buy an iGo power supply that works with either + a car cigarette lighter. You can buy "power tips" for it so the same power supply will charge your laptop, cell phone, ipod, etc. Very handy to only take 1 power supply when traveling.
  • a pair of your own headphones and a 2-to-1 headphone adapter for older planes (which have two headphone jacks next to each other - one for left, one for right). Here is a picture of the adapter.
  • An extra laptop battery. I recommend the ones that look like a thin notebook and sits under your laptop. They're easier than trying to swap out the OEM battery in a confined space.
  • A long-sleeved shirt. I don't like bothering with jackets in the close quarters - I'll just wear a long-sleeved shirt. When you get on the plane, immediately begin looking for a pillow and/or blanket in the overhead bins.
  • A bottle of water. not allowed as of 8 Aug 2006
  • A powerbar. Even if you think they taste gross, they work when you're hungry.
  • Lotion (planes are very dry) not allowed as of 8 Aug 2006
  • Chap stick (once again, very dry)
  • Tums/Rolaids (in case the food/snacks didn't agree with you)
  • Immodium. You never know, right?
  • Hand sanitizer. Airplanes are pretty germ infested. not allowed as of 8 Aug 2006
  • Gum. Helps your ears pop when the pressure changes.
  • Earplugs. The screaming baby WILL be sitting behind you.
Overhead bin space

First of all, don't bring a huge carry-on that won't fit in the overhead bins. My carry-on suitcase is 21"x14"x7", and I think it's the perfect size. Keep in mind I still have to "gate check" it on very small/commuter route/"express" planes (where you drop it off at the end of the jetway and pick it up in the same place when you exit the aircraft). Mostly Embraer or Canadair planes.

Overhead space is quite valuable on many flights. Put anything you may need during the flight in a smaller bag that you can put under the seat in front of you. When you get on the plane, immediately begin looking for an overhead bin for your carry-on suitcase. Don't be afraid to stick it above row 10 - even if you're in row 20.

Don't be a dick.

Flying is a very stressful event for a good percentage of passengers - especially around the holidays (when there are less business travelers and more personal travelers). The flight attendants have to put up with a lot of ****. A friend of mine - someone who flies even more than I do - makes a point of occasionally buying a few boxes of chocolate ($2 each from the airport store) and passing them out to flight attendants as a "thank you." This often earns him free drinks .

Curious? Channel 9.

United is one of the only airlines that lets you listen to air traffic control on channel 9. Here is a glossary you may want to skim beforehand. In busy cities like Chicago, you'll never hear more than a few seconds of silence. In not-so-busy cities like Des Moines, I've heard the pilot talking with the tower about when the next runway will be completed.

You can also listen to ATC online @ http://www.liveatc.net/

Noise-canceling headphones

If you can afford a good pair of noise canceling headphones, your body will love you - especially on long flights, I've found that I feel more relaxed and less tired upon arrival after using them.

Active noise canceling headphones have a microphone on the outside of them - they "listen" to ambient noise, then actually broadcast an opposite sound wave into your ear, thereby canceling out the sound. I've found that cheap noise canceling headphones bother my ears more than regular headphones. Bose QuietComfort IIs are expensive ($300), but they feel like pillows on your head.

Passive noise canceling headphones (or 'canalphones') are simply earbud-type headphones that you push into your ear canal. These actually have the ability to suppress MORE noise than active over-the-ear phones. I've got a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps that I use (currently $179 on Amazon, a great deal). The trick is finding the right tips (many different types are available) that are comfortable in your ears. They sound amazing.

Red-eyes

Have to take a redeye? Stay up all night the night before a red-eye. When you do the trans-oceanic segment, pop some Tylenol PM immediately after takeoff. You'll start falling asleep right about the time dinner has ended, won't wake up until you're landing, with no jet-lag at all. (Thanks to Dave for this tip)

Pack light.

Check out http://www.onebag.com/ for great luggage packing tips.

Lost luggage

If your luggage does get lost...
  • Put extra identification on the INSIDE of the bag. If there is nothing on the outside, they may have to go inside to find who it belongs to.
  • Know what your bag looks like and what you've got in it. I've actually seen people show up at the lost luggage counter and they couldn't tell whether the bag was a softside or hard side, or even the color.
  • When you give the address the bag should be delivered to, give the address you are actually going to be if you're away from home.
  • In most locations, the guy delivering your luggage once they find it does NOT work for an airline. They are independent contractors who deliver for a number of airlines (this falls under "don't be a dick"). Be nice, THEY had nothing to do with your luggage being misrouted.
Going through security

I believe that the US should adopt something that comedian Bill Maher came up with- add a $10 fee onto every ticket sold. If you make it through security without it "beeping", you get your $10 back. Otherwise, you just paid a, "inconveniencing other passengers fee." PRIOR to getting into the security line, take off your belt, remove anything metal from your pockets (cell phone, change, etc) and place it into your carry-on bag. Remember, laptops have to come out of the bag and be scanned separately.

Giving yourself enough time

Some airports have phone numbers you can call to get the current security wait times. Research your local airport to see if yours has such a feature. Since you've already printed your boarding pass, the security line is all you really have to deal with. I'm comfortable showing up to my local airport only 45 minutes prior to the flight if I know there is no wait at the security line.

Picking someone up from the airport?

Track their flight using FlightAware, the best online tracker that I've found.

More questions?

Feel free to email me. Also, for deals and other frequent flyer talk, check out the FlyerTalk.com forums.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice post... interesting !

Thank you very much for your efforts!!
Greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loyalty Reward

It appears that the newest loyalty rewards from Audi ($1000-$3000 for A3 - A8) are compatible with European Delivery but no S5's or R8's. Valid til Jan 2012.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fithian
It appears that the newest loyalty rewards from Audi ($1000-$3000 for A3 - A8) are compatible with European Delivery but no S5's or R8's. Valid til Jan 2012.
Good to hear. Care to share the source?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

European train tickets web site

Quick Reply: Tips for Audi European Delivery