Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

anyone running metal intercooler crossover pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running metal intercooler crossover pipe?

When I had my s6 engine out for 'service' I dropped off a stock metal cross over pipe to replace my stock plastic one. The body mount on the pass side seems the same, I can not find the corresponding mount on the drivers side. The mount anchor on the tube basically shoots straight up at the A/C compressor with no 'intiutive' corresponding body mount. I think the piece was in a front ender as I had to bend the pass side a bit to line up, but nothing seems even close on the drivers side. What am I not seeing?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4x5x5
The mount anchor on the tube basically shoots straight up at the A/C compressor with no 'intiutive' corresponding body mount. I think the piece was in a front ender as I had to bend the pass side a bit to line up, but nothing seems even close on the drivers side. What am I not seeing?
There should be a tab on the drivers side that bolts up to the a stud on the compressor.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had to make a short bracket with some flat bar since the bracket was missing on the used one I bought. Like Sean says below, it attaches to the stud on the AC compressor. The bracket needs to be insulated on the crossover pipe side with a rubber grommet, hopefully your grommet is still in your crossover pipes tab.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've still got the tab on the drivers side, but it is a good 1.5 inches from the reaching compressor stud. (I think I know the one you mean as the stud above it holds the coolant crossover pipe.) There must be a stock bracket connector that has a 90 degree+- bend in it to reach the pipe bracket. Sounds like a fab opportunity.

Originally Posted by Turbo_Anarchy
I had to make a short bracket with some flat bar since the bracket was missing on the used one I bought. Like Sean says below, it attaches to the stud on the AC compressor. The bracket needs to be insulated on the crossover pipe side with a rubber grommet, hopefully your grommet is still in your crossover pipes tab.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure you get that sorted.

Mine was disconnected when I got my car, I put the under-tray back on (the previous owner handed it to me) which forced that bracket up into the accessory belt.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

very good point and exactly what I was looking at when I had connected the pass side bracket only. It snugged the disconnected drivers side bracket right into the compressor body and 1/4 inch from the A/C belt! The wrench hd left it all just hangng if you will, with the Samcos doing the holding in place.

Originally Posted by EndlessCorners
Make sure you get that sorted.

Mine was disconnected when I got my car, I put the under-tray back on (the previous owner handed it to me) which forced that bracket up into the accessory belt.