Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

C4 A-pillar cover removal: pre-windshield R&R

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C4 A-pillar cover removal: pre-windshield R&R

In the past, whenever I have had to get a windshield replaced on a C4, I have always removed the A-pillar trim (covers) before I took it into to the shop. That way the job was easier for them and then I didn't have to worry about them breaking or staining the trim. The other day at the Pick-N-Pull, I decided to get the platinum A-pillar trim off the 94 100 q that was there in the yard. No phone so no speaker, just like my 94 S4 avant.

The problem was, although the passenger A-pillar trim came off easily, the driver's side did not. I used the location of the spring clips on the passenger A-pillar trim as a guide to locate the flat bladed screw driver (the wider the better) I had to use to get the driver's A-pillar cover off. On that basis, I decided that I might as well write it up, partly as a DIY and partly as a warning to remove the A-pillar trim before a windshield removal and replacement.

Here is what the factory tells you about the A-pillar, Item 18 with three Item 19 clips. These are spring clips that fit into slots in the metal A-pillar.

Skipping ahead, here is the driver's side A-pillar trim that gave me the grief. Turns out that excess urethane windshield glue/sealant had contact the A-pillar trim, glueing it to the windshield. Note the distances of the three spring clips from the top of the A-pillar trim. Note also the residual nasty black glue/sealant of the foreward edge of the trim.

Previously I have just pulled the A-pillar trim off by hand, after first pulling rubber door gasket out and away from the metal ridge on the A-pillar. This time I had to use the location of the clips as a guide to locate a screw driver (the wider the blade the better) to pry down on the trim and get the clips to think about coming out.

Start with the upper clip and get it started coming out. Then move down to the middle clip and pry there a bit to get it started. Then go back up to the upper clip and pry it some more. Repeat as necessary to get the upper clip fully out and the middle clip almost out. At that point the lower clip will have started to come out of its slot in the A-pillar and you *SHOULD* be able to pull the trim off by rotating it down from the top.

Never over force things, work at it little by little, and there should be no breakage of the trim.