Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

exhaust opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust opinions please

I'm planning to put together a 3" exhaust for my s6 avant and was hoping to get some suggestions for mufflers and pics of other peoples systems. I'm for something sporty, yet not too loud. The car is lowered, running an MTM stg 1 and soon to be rs2 turbo if that makes any difference.
I'm not wanting to to go with a stromburg (too much $$) and don't plan on keeping the cats.
thanks,
Paul
Old 11-03-2007, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If staying cheap is the object...Cherry bombs, with a side dump of course!...

Seriously, I went Stromung way back in the day and am still running it. Decent stuff and nobody in Seattle could touch the quality at the price Stromung had, again back in the day.

My .02, brand preference is all yours, just make sure you have at least two mufflers to avoid the drone that can happen on these cars. That is if you want to keep it tolerable and mostly as a street car where passengers won't ask you what is wrong with your car due to the noise.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not "stromburg" (unless you have carbs on your flathead V8 Ford), "stromung". If you are building..

your own, make sure you have a middle resonator/muffler.

The tricky part of a DIY exhaust is getting the turbo down pipe correct. Not a trivial exercise.

Stromung is expensive but it has been sorted (at least Gen IV has). Time is money.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default be the first on this list and try...

the O34 exhaust
Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Several 'levels' on this topic -> tricky part is getting the auditory qualities correct.

You'll find several posts to those who DIY, only to find the drone at 2800 rpm (or so) to be awful. IT's not as simply as logic would indicate.

Stromung and Stebro offer (IMO) the first 'step'
and if you get into a GB , Stromung prices came be reduced. Now in its 4th generation, well made.

Post above mentioned 034 system, seems like a good price well made system but I don't know anyone who heard it yet.

Then there's Saridea in CO, probably one of the most exotic ones out there really well made, for very high power applications

I'll send you email pics of Stromung.s Gen 4.

Posto@comcast.net
Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: be the first on this list and try...

Looks nice, but at $1300 once you add the second muffler and the downpipe, it's a little too pricey.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Several 'levels' on this topic -> tricky part is getting the auditory qualities correct.

I haven't heard of stebro, I'll have to look into that. How often to the stromung group buys come along and what's the normal price?
I can understand how the more established systems provide better results than your average DIY, but it really comes down to the selection of mufflers and resonators and fit and finish. I was hoping to get suggestions from the folks in the group on good component choices (and the ones to avoid) and based on that info, I'd decide if DIY is the most time and $$ efficient for me.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're only going to RS2...

...I doubt you'll be getting much return on your exhaust money. The stock bits, while heavy, are adequate for RS2-level power, according to forum wisdom.

What are your goals with the exhaust change?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Forum wisdom backed up by back to back dyno testing. Link inside

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/110974.phtml">Real results</a></li></ul>
Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If you're only going to RS2...

The main reason for wanting a new exhaust is the stock setup is pretty rusty and rubs under hard accels (probably should replace some powertrain mounts too). I figure if I'm going to replace it, I might as well accomodate future mods.

Quick Reply: exhaust opinions please