Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Found 3 nice used S4's, the 5cyl turbo variety...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found 3 nice used S4's, the 5cyl turbo variety...

Hey guys, found a few nice used examples of the S4 and was wondering a few things:

1. How's the reliability of the 2.2 litre 5 cyl turbo. Is this the same engine that was in the Audi 5000 CD turbos?

2. What kind of power do these cars put out?

3. What sorts of mods are available?

4. What was the normal / usual standard equipment?

They look good and mileage is fairly low. One is a 93, the other 2 are 94's. All are about 18k Cdn, which I'm sure could go a touch lower. That makes them a pretty nice bargain in my book, or am I wrong?

Anyways, any info you can share about them would be great.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2001, 09:55 AM

Default Answers...

1. Engine is bulletproof. Not the same motor as 5000. S4 motor is two generations later.

2. Stock: 227 hp / 258 lb-ft torque
Chipped: 280 hp / 332 lb-ft torque (MTM chip)
320 hp is available for about $2500 or so.
400 hp is available with (expensive) bolt-on parts. After that, internals must be modified.

3. Every common upgrade is available (except short shifter). Massive Porsche brakes, suspension, the aforementioned engine upgrades, etc.

4. S4 came fully loaded and only three options:
- CD changer
- pearlescent paint
- sunroof delete

Equipment and features list on my site.

(5). Yes, Canadian prices on S4s are awesome right now.

Go to my site by clicking my sig. All (or at least most) of your questions will be answered there.

HTH,
Old 08-02-2001, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Answers...

I had NO idea that the older S4's were that potent! Is there any chip available other than the MTM one? Like maybe a GIAC, APR or something???

I think I want this car...
Old 08-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Jim

Intended Acceleration makes the one other chip most people would seriously consider putting into their car. The boys at GIAC and APR are too young to know what the older S-cars are. Most of them were still in Junior High School when the cars came out ;-)
I have an MTM chip, love it.
Jim K.
93S4
Old 08-02-2001, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just to reinforce what Jim posted. MTM is probably the best chip for the 5cyl 20v turbo. GIAC and APR are good for the recent generation Audi and VW turbo drivetrains, but not these older vehicles. You'll be very impressed with the perfomance, power and reliability of the MTM chips and other upgrades...

Some advice however. You may not want to get too ahead of yourself. Comming out of a Golf to a car alomst 1000 pounds heavier, you may want to consider suspension and brake upgrades before adding that kind of power to this car. ABT springs and Bilstein shocks, specifically designed for this car by MTM/Hoppen Motorsports, would be a good choice. Of course there are other options. And Brembo brakes, maybe...

Something to think about. And don't hesitate to ask more questions. There are some great people to get advice from right here in this forum. Jimmy and Jim are a couple on top of my list...

Good luck
Old 08-02-2001, 01:47 PM
Jim

Default Now for a pat on Jason's back...

Just to reinforce what Jason said - get the brakes done first. I gotta tell you, the stock brakes really suck. Upgrading the pads and rotors IN THE STOCK SIZE does NOT do much. you NEED to go bigger, bit through BIRA or one of the commercial big-brake kits.
Now I for one did not follow my own advice and frankly it makes me a bit nervous every time I am on ht boost in a big way and then I have to slow down quickly. And at the track, forget it, the stock brakes (or in my case, drilled Brembos with Mintex Red pads all at stock sizes) go away really quick. This was made really obvious when dicing with a 225 hp TT at Laguna Seca - I pulled away from him around the corner and on the straights, but he would often catch up in the braking zone as the stock setup just does not stop strongly enough. For the first year that I had the car I was VERY happy with the power in stock form, you will be fine at first, it is still a very fast car.
Jim K
93S4
Old 08-02-2001, 04:01 PM

Hey guys, the whole intent of my even looking at this car is to get a car faster than my friend's TL Type S. He keeps bugging me about how great it is etc. etc. and I am looking for a good way to put him in his place and keep him there!

Needless to say, he has always had a Honda and I've only ever had a VW so...we agree to disagree. Fortunately, he doesn't know an air filter from a fuel filter when it comes to modding, so I have the decided advantage hehe..

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 08-02-2001, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no comapison... one word " Automatic "

without fully knocking the TL type-S, but it's my understanding they only come Automatic. If you do just a chip and air filter, a '93 S4 would walk away from a TL-S by the top of second gear. 3rd gear you should have a couple of car lenghts. Try it in the rain or snow!!! and the S4 has every bit the luxury an Acura has, plus it should rank higher on the exotic scale...
Old 08-02-2001, 05:42 PM

Default Re: no comapison... one word " Automatic "

You are correct, it's a 5 speed auto with front drive only and traction control, no magic quattro, hehe.

You know, I think I just talked myself into it...
Old 08-03-2001, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default don't forget about TAP!!!

they also offer chip upgrades, among other upgrades.
I went with TAP, and i'm happy, although I would like to drive a urs4 with a mtm or int. accl. for comparison sake. So while I'm here has anyone driven both, or any information regarding the comparison?

Quick Reply: Found 3 nice used S4's, the 5cyl turbo variety...