Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Head work

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head work

A friend of mine recently suggested that I "do some head work" if I really want to make some power. He said that on smaller-displacement motors it is vital to open up all bottlenecks, and according to him, head flow is critical.

I've never considered performing this sort of work, primarily because I haven't yet even touched the turbo, em, maf, etc. However, I've been curious as to whether or not my friend's assertions are true, with particular regard to Audi's 20v 5-cyl turbo motors.

I know Hap has done this sort of work.. but he's also done so much other work that it'd be hard to tell if the same sort of benefits would be seen on a more modestly tuned application.

Anyone with any opinions, experience or information on this sort of stuff?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Head work

Back in the day when I had my 90 Eclipse GSX, I ported (gasket matched) the intake and exhaust manifold ports on the head, which does help with flow. Removing any excess metal in the intake and exhaust paths will net some, however if not done correctly, can be more harm than good. I believe the biggest gains from porting are with the combustion chambers or bowls. Also, smoothest is best, less turbulence. My limited knowledge 0.02.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not necessary in the least bit.

If you are RS2'ed or less, there will be very minimal if any gains. If you are in Evahboost country, then yes, or should I say maybe.

Port and polishing is meant for poorly breathing NA motors, the turbos on our cars flow plenty enough to not ever need a port and polish.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Head work my 2cents

not that ive ever used mid grade(89/91), but for illustrative purposes lets say you did... then start using 93/94 octane.. thats about what the head work would be similar too ... worth the rounabout $500 for the roundabout 5 hp. not for me, but ask me again next year when i hit the lotto(: if you got the extra scrill go 4it..but pay the 'extrude honing' premium
Old 10-13-2004, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Brian, I didn't know you were on AW.

Your badges were shipped out today and you should see them in no more then 2 days.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Hey Brian, I didn't know you were on AW.

yup,here to stay this time, &thanks for the heads up, i had another AWname but lost lots of memory(mentally&computer'ly) due to my head on collision w/a drunk driver...but im back,; warrior soul&all that(:
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident.

So, what do you drive?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not true YumyJager, a port and polish does give gains and...

is comparible to a nice flowing exhaust as far as the butt dyno goes. My car had a much more peppy feel to it after I installed the ported and polished head especially before boost came on.

Elijah
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope, it's VERY true. I said it does not need it, I didn't say some small gains would be had.

True, you may get boost 100 rpm sooner or 5 crank hp, but for the cost, I'll take a pass.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Head work smed work. I REALLY like those wheels with that body kit.

best looking urS4 I've seen.

For a small TURBO engine, I'd go for the big gainers before head work. Meaning... Chip, Manifolds, Turbo, Intercooler. Headwork is pretty far down on the list when starting from a stock AAN motor.

Quick Reply: Head work